Sheep and deer draw results

Seeing that they removed a hard credit card update deadline they pretty much have as long as they want. In years past we were seeing results right around first of July but my guess is July 15th ish. Showing July 26th as first day for leftovers and August 9th as deadline to mail tags so they've got a lot of time. Guess we can just assume we will know before the archery deer hunts in August.

I heard they're going back to the system they used prior to the midwinter draw. If that's the case, there shouldn't be any issues. I think its hilarious they didn't give a hard date for the credit card deadline.

Can still tell there is something wrong because people I applied for two weeks ago still aren't showing their apps in the portals. Years past apps automatically showed within about 24 hours.

Can still tell there is something wrong because people I applied for two weeks ago still aren't showing their apps in the portals. Years past apps automatically showed within about 24 hours.
That's a little spooky. I finally got my portal started out a couple weeks ago. It showed 0 bonus points for anything but my loyalty points were still there. Still trying to figure out how they screwed that up.... lol

I think its hilarious they didn't give a hard date for the credit card deadline.
During the elk draw fiasco, I made a comment that they should remove the hard date. They either monitor the boards for feedback or had a moment of common sense, but the hard date is gone.?

Here‘s a screen shot of my remark back in March.
19940BAB-7E0B-447A-9B9F-69C378CA67F8.jpeg

I applied on the 7th and I'm not seeing it in my portal. I know folks will say it's not big deal and so forth, but like I've said before it doesn't give me confidence in the AZ draw process/system.

Everyone I know that applied second to last day has their apps showing in the portal. One guy that applied last day still not showing so I assume once his shows up it's getting close.

Last year, didn't charges hit on the last Friday in June, the 26th? Elk charges hit much later than most people expected based on previous years and they no longer have an update cards by X date statement. Who knows?

Yes last year they hit June 26th. They will have a update card deadline but won't announce it until they are ready. Hopefully if not this Friday it will be next Friday.

Shortly after the draw closed AZGFD had June 24th as the last day to update cards. Then a few days later that date was removed from the website.

Shortly after the draw closed AZGFD had June 24th as the last day to update cards. Then a few days later that date was removed from the website.
It had June 24th as the last day to buy pointguard, not update cards. Now the 24th for pointguard is gone as of a couple days ago.

I guess they got too many calls by making premature promises in this year's spring draw The only date they promise is hunt tags mailed by August 8. It also says they will provide notice of the day credit card updates will be cut off. That usually has been the day before they charge cards. Nothing yet.

You still can purchase Point Guard. I purchased one this morning for my deer application. Started to get worried about all these fires and the drought. Just a little peace of mind.

You still can purchase Point Guard. I purchased one this morning for my deer application. Started to get worried about all these fires and the drought. Just a little peace of mind.
Yep same here, not worth the risk of losing all my points because of forest closures.

They are forecasting 7 days straight of monsoon rain beginning Monday here in the White Mountains......prediction from some officials up here is if we get the forecasted rain, the full closure won’t last a long time. Let’s hope that’s true!

I really hope you are wrong. Took 11 points last year to guarantee a tag. Keeping fingers crossed that point creep did not jump that far.
I hope I’m wrong too, good luck in the draw. I’m going to cash my 14 in next year in the early!

I got drawn. Pretty pumped. I get to go chase this buck again. We've been after him for 3 years and he gets more elusive each year. Last year, we got this one trail camera photo of him the last week of August then he vanished. Hope he survived the hunts last year and is still around.

bigbuck (2).jpg

Can I slum around inthe deer/sheep thread with my Bison tag draw?! LOL

Hit for Bison 12A/12B/13A either oct or the Oct through December hunt.

Pretty good luck for a nonresident!

Archery free range bison has been high on bucket liust since forever! Thoughts from folks who have spot and stalk hunted them there are appreciated via pm. I am aware many folks sit blinds and salt and are effective in that manner. Not sure if I am intelligent enough to take that path that has higher success than spot and stalk.

Archery free range bison has been high on bucket liust since forever! Thoughts from folks who have spot and stalk hunted them there are appreciated via pm. I am aware many folks sit blinds and salt and are effective in that manner. Not sure if I am intelligent enough to take that path that has higher success than spot and stalk.
Absolutely. Congratulations.

Nothing yet, hoping it’s not over yet and things in CA are just slow.
?????
Will have no complaint if they send me a Sheep tag instead of my friend getting 12AW early. ???

My son and I drew 13B (or 13A) rifle deer- stoked to say the least...
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but either of those two tags are going to be way down this year. If you drew in the max pool you might consider turning it back in and draw on another year. I am super jealous that you drew, but it is a bad year to hunt the strip in my opinion. If you drew on a random basis then obviously you need to go hunt it and see how it turns out but the strip may not have the best year. Again, not trying to rain on your parade and I think it's awesome that you drew, but it may be a bit of a weird year for those tags.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but either of those two tags are going to be way down this year. If you drew in the max pool you might consider turning it back in and draw on another year. I am super jealous that you drew, but it is a bad year to hunt the strip in my opinion. If you drew on a random basis then obviously you need to go hunt it and see how it turns out but the strip may not have the best year. Again, not trying to rain on your parade and I think it's awesome that you drew, but it may be a bit of a weird year for those tags.
It has to do more with being a NR or resident with max points. If he's a NR with max points he should keep the tag since his odds of drawing it again is quite low. If he's a resident with max points he could return the tag and easily draw it again next year. If he drew it as a random tag, that's a no-brainer....keep it!!! My buddy drew a random 13b tag in 2017.

It has to do more with being a NR or resident with max points. If he's a NR with max points he should keep the tag since his odds of drawing it again is quite low. If he's a resident with max points he could return the tag and easily draw it again next year. If he drew it as a random tag, that's a no-brainer....keep it!!! My buddy drew a random 13b tag in 2017.
100% agree. I don't know what category he is in and even if he can draw it again and still keeps it, I wouldn't blame him. But if I had to guess they are random tags and therefore keeping the tags, like you said, is the only option.

Pretty sure there is something still going on. Noone anywhere has seen a sheep charge including some big time sheep guides that would have definitely heard about someone drawing. Next thing I know several people that based off past draws were well above the points needed for a guaranteed tag and still no charges. Next thing I've seen guys posting credits card charges of completely random amounts including $2100 charges for residents. Looks like it's shaping up to be a cluster F once again. Sad how incompetent the government can be.

Bet those random $2100 charges are sheep tags. Imagine how many guys got rejected because they didn't have enough in their account or exceeded the available credit. Wow!!!

They confirmed 2100 charges are sheep tags. Couldn't imagine they would reject people who's cards declined due to insufficient funds but you never know with azgfd

They confirmed 2100 charges are sheep tags. Couldn't imagine they would reject people who's cards declined due to insufficient funds but you never know with azgfd
Yeah, I'm positive they'll make it right, but man, they're 0-2 for the year as far as PR goes... damm! lol!

Why is it a bad year to hunt the strip? Just because of the lack of rain? Or are there other reasons .

Congrats to everyone that drew / got a CC hit. I can’t wait to find out what I drew. I could care less… just ecstatic to have a tag.

Why is it a bad year to hunt the strip? Just because of the lack of rain? Or are there other reasons .
Trophy quality was down last year and with the drought this year not looking any better. Still would give my left one to have a tag. A bad year on the strip is better than about 95% of other places on a good year.

Trophy quality was down last year and with the drought this year not looking any better. Still would give my left one to have a tag. A bad year on the strip is better than about 95% of other places on a good year.
Makes sense. With the strip I’ve heard two sides of it, there’s either a ton of deer with incredible size , or they hunt all week and only see a couple of deer. I’m guessing it’s because of the size of the unit and how familiar you are with it why some see more than others.

Ouch.... We'll keep them go with positive thoughts of a great hunt.

I recognize that
I’m not from Arizona and I don’t pretend to know much about the tag he drew, but I respectfully disagree. I understand why money believes what he said, but you just experienced what most of us will never experience - being excited about getting a credit card hit in Arizona for deer. If anyone is in this game for the sole purpose of hunting the biggest bucks in the all of the land, good for them and I respect that. But if you are like many of us, you need to keep the excitement alive and live the dream. Go hunt. Be free in some of the most amazing mule deer county in the world. Have fun. Do you. As cliche as it is, nobody knows if they will ever have the opportunity to hunt next season. Nobody ever knows if they’ll have the incredible opportunity to be waiting on a credit card hit. I’d rather hunt in a dry year and say I did, than not hunt and die wishing I did.

If you’ve ever been up where those bison are you’ll really quickly realize there’s no spot and stalk up there. It’s thick stuff. If you’ve spotted something you’ve pretty much already stalked it.
I sat in a blind for 158 hours on my hunt and didn’t kill. I am building points for hopes that someday something will change up there but I won’t be doing the hunt again as is. I wish you luck in your hunt but prepare yourself to sit in a blind for two weeks straight if you’d like to kill one.

Reports are that everyone who drew a sheep tag was charged $2100, the total of both resident $300 and nonresident $1800 fees.

It's possible something else is messed up if that was. So maybe there is still a chance? ?

Anyone getting credit card hits today?
Anyone know any NR that drew 12AW early and how many points it took?
Nothing on my friends CC yet and by hunterstrailhead he should of drawn. Is there any other sites that have Arizona draw odds?

Thanks

5E5576F7-A8B0-4C1E-AECD-F4DE620D39A4.png

Nothing on my friends CC yet and by hunterstrailhead he should of drawn. Is there any other sites that have Arizona draw odds?

Thanks

View attachment 45241
Tags were cut to 375 from the 450 issued last year so there are 4 or 5 less NR tags available in the bonus pass this year coupled with the always dreaded point creep…

Horniac

Tags were cut to 375 from the 450 issued last year so there are 4 or 5 less NR tags available in the bonus pass this year coupled with the always dreaded point creep…

Horniac
I saw one chart for that hunt, from last year, which showed 8 points at 100% and then 7 points all of the way down at 17%. Obviously most all of the NR available tags go in the first round. An 80% gap from the first round to the random draw means that literally most of available tags (to the BR cap) go to those top point holders. When demand gets this high for NR (10% cap) ...it pretty much becomes a preference point system. FYI: I know of two people (NR) this year, that had 8 points, that did not draw.

I saw one chart for that hunt, from last year, which showed 8 points at 100% and then 7 points all of the way down at 17%. Obviously most all of the NR available tags go in the first round. An 80% gap from the first round to the random draw means that literally most of available tags (to the BR cap) go to those top point holders. When demand gets this high for NR (10% cap) ...it pretty much becomes a preference point system. FYI: I know of two people (NR) this year, that had 8 points, that did not draw.
Actually a few years ago the AZGFD changed the rules and made it where only 5% of the NR quota goes in the bonus pass the other 5% goes to the random draw, however there is no guarantee that NR will get the full 5% in the random draw.

Thanks

View attachment 45241
Not that specific unit but my nephew had 11 points and applied for a hunt that has never needed more than 9 and still doesnt have a charge. Highly unlikely thus unit jumped 2 points on a year like this. Thinking more charges coming next week.

Anyone know what max points are for both deer & sheep?
I kind of remember that the sheep points, starting point, was a few years before deer

Some of those top resident deer point guys must just be holding out for the perfect year or until they retire or something because they could have drawn any tag they wanted the last few years.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how long it took for elk tags to be mailed or posted in the portal. I got hit for deer and I'm wondering, like most, which tag I drew. I only had one point NR, so I definitely drew random, either early rifle 12AW or 12A archery. If it's archery, I'm in a serious time crunch. If it's rifle it's a different preparation for me. Either way, I'll definitely need to get moving and I will be somewhat unprepared, but I want to do whichever tag I drew justice to the best of my ability. I'll definitely be DIY, no guide budget here. In the meantime, I'm going to approach it like I'm going archery.

My portal says pending, and I think it was only a few days after not getting drawn for elk that it said "Not Drawn". Hopefully the drawing result as to what was actually drawn will be updated sometime next week.

All portals say pending and have for a month.. The past elk draw was all jacked up but they managed to post draw results to the portal within a few days after charging cards. Hopefully it's the same timeline this time but on normal draws they charge cards on Friday and usually don't have portals updated until about 10 days later. Also knowing of some issues with overcharging and some other weird stuff they are going to have to fix it wouldn't surprise me if it's two weeks for results. Kind of dumb for guys drawing archery tags and only have a month to plan but when AZGFD is a monopoly you just grin and be happy and take it like a man.

Max deer points is 25 coming out of the draw. I'm there and at 59, see my odds of drawing a nonresident 13B any weapon tag at about 50:50 before I get too old or die, if nothing changes with draw rules or tag numbers. I'm thinking we might be in a long term drought cycle that might reduce tags. Max points nonresident applicants mid 40's or younger people will outlive the older farts and get a tag before aging out.

All portals say pending and have for a month.. The past elk draw was all jacked up but they managed to post draw results to the portal within a few days after charging cards.
Yeah I was in the elk draw too, and I know it updated pretty quick. I’m hoping that’s the néw normal.

Thanks

View attachment 45241
This is interesting, go hunt only showed a small percentage drawing at 12.

Some of those top resident deer point guys must just be holding out for the perfect year or until they retire or something because they could have drawn any tag they wanted the last few years.
Thanks bigbull! I knew it was a few - but didn't realize they started the points game for deer 6 yrs. after sheep. Looks like with 3 shy of max for sheep it's gonna be awhile if ever

Some of those are non-hunters that someone is stacking points with to share points on a future hunt... Ed F

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom