Sheep mounts

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
I would appreciate it if you guys would post your sheep mounts or ones you have seen and liked. Who did the work. And what you would of done differently if you did it over. I will be hunting both rocky and desert sheep this year. No room for full body mounts but thinking of wall/pedestal or shoulder forward laying on rocks like in the picture but without the foot sticking out. I am also mulling over the idea of doing one as a european mount.
B624EAA1-185B-40C2-BCBA-5FDB48F93E8F.jpeg
75AE7504-42E3-4166-903B-0ED9A2A7657E.jpeg

Also, do your seems (cuts) show? This is a picture of a blacktail deer with very short hair.
040DB40C-2879-4F7A-97C5-ED1AB3598441.jpeg

Thanks
Bill

As for your question about back seam, DON'T CUT THEM UP THE BACK. It is unnecessary.

Tube the animal up to the base of the head and then cut through the meat and bone to detach from the body. Then all you have to do is a short incision on the back of the head and pull the head out.(y)

If there someone long cuts a seam on a cape, how it turns out on the finished product is dependent on 2 things. How clean and straight was it cut and the hair quality at the edge of the seam. The shorter the hair the more difficult it is to hide a long seam like that. The more jagged the seam the more difficult it is to hide and the harder it is to accurately fit the mannikin.

For instance a pronghorn, like the big boy in your picture, the seam usually ends up being invisible. However a South Texas whitetail killed in October and sliced long up the back will usually have something showing no matter how good you sew.

Last, if you decide you only want to do a euro on a sheep skin it as best you can for a life-size mount. Those capes are worth a lot of money and you can probably cover a significant cost portion of your hunt by selling it.

I hope this info helps. If you ever have any other questions feel free to call me at 713-465-7388 and ask to speak to Ben. Good luck on your hunts.

I don’t see the seam on any of my mounts except for a couple of African mounts with little to no hair and they are hard to see the seam. Check out Dwayne Dewey and Paul Pennie. Paul has a connection where you can get a replica of your real horns for the shoulder mount and then keep the real horns as a euro mount. Very cool idea. Check out Big Cat Taxidermy as well. Leland does some sheep as well. Kasey Kohler does a great job as does Stephan Woolstenhulme.

Thanks
Will look those guys up.
I think an Euro sheep as a coffee table center piece would be nice. Good info Tri.

That's awesome you get to hunt Rocky and Desert the same year! Here's my wife's Desert from a few years ago. Paul Pennie did it, to me he's one of the best in the business on sheep. My only regret is not doing full size on it. If you don't cape it for full size, there's no going back ?

20200520_213429.jpg

I am not a fan of european mounts......EXCEPT for sheep and pronghorn....love them. I wouldn't hesitate to do a desert sheep european.....

You might want to check out “High Country Horns” taxidermy (Paul Pennie) on Instagram. Page has a lot of mounts that might give you an ideal for that stud of a ram you got. Told me all the rock backgrounds he molds himself to match your pics so if anything interests you the off the shelf background stuff might not look that way unless your taxidermist does similar work. Hope you post them when they’re done. Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom