Sheep of the North!

hunterjmj

Who can tell me the difference between the Stone sheep and the Fannin sheep? Is a fannin a cross between Dall and Stone?
Jer

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but according to what I have read the Fannin is now considered a Stone. They were once thought to be a distinct subspecies. In the book "Big Game of North America, Ecology and Management" Lyman Nichols, Jr., Alaska Dept of Fish and Game biologist wrote about Fannins that they are no longer recognized as a subspecies but are rather "no more than a color gradation between the white Dall's and dark Stone's sheep". I believe they live in the "in-between" area between Dalls and Stones, pretty much in a fairly localized area. Hope someone can verify that. They are pretty as hell sometimes, at least the ones I have seen are.

That seems to make sense, just a lighter color phase of the stone. The reason I asked is I read an article the other day that mentioned Fanin sheep, but it looked identical to a Stone.
Thanks,Jer

Some spots in northern BC the Fannin sheep are completely white except for a black tail. They are, however, considered to be a Stone sheep and not classed as a separate category by the Boone and Crockett club. From what I understand though, and I know this to be true here, they do occur where Stone and Dall sheep areas overlap. In our case it's the very north and center of the province.

There are fannin sheep mixed in with Dall sheep in the NW corner of the Yukon in the Olgovie (sp?) Mtns. There are even a very few fannins just across the border in Alaska. In concensions 1,2&3 the outfitters take about 50/50 Dalls/fannins.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom