Sheep pix are getting scarce.

Zeke

Long Time Member
Here's my Stone ram from 2003 just to tease you guys who are going sheep hunting this year... or in the future.

2883p1010056.jpg

672p1010049.jpg

3660p1010019.jpg

Zeke,

Congratulations on an Outstanding Ram and those are some awesome photos!

Who did you hunt with?

Man that is awesome!
Congrats on a beauty! Hope the draw gods bring you luck this year.

Mike

Very nice Zeke..I would like to see some more sheep pics dead or alive. This should be the perfect thread to post a few sheep pics or two.

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-12 AT 09:43PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-12 AT 09:43?PM (MST)

Zeke, That is a gorgeous Stone and the full body mount in the entryway of your abode is the most beautiful part of your home...except for your lovely bride of course! (be sure to let her know I said that) lol

I am also wanting to see some sheep pix. Perhaps it is time for me to post a few of my Dall and Caribou?...if I can figure out how???

Keep em comin boys!

All great rams. I especially find Stone sheep very attractive because of their dark-grey coats.

Eldorado

Thanks for the excellent contributions! That's what I was hoping for since the sheep pix were getting scarce.

Thanks for all the kind comments... you too LBH!
Post 'em up boys for us all to enjoy.

My hunt was with Stone Mtn Safaris. It was a great adventure up the Tetsa River! I got an OK Canadian moose as an add-on.

By the way, the lower left ram in the group is my ram which I killed 3 days later.

1132p1010146.jpg

3273p1010090.jpg

1724p1010014.jpg

Beautiful rams guys! Thanks for sharing the pics, can't wait to get back into the high country and spend some time with the sheep. That moose looks plenty OK to me!

Congrats to all the lucky sheep hunters. Great pictures. Hopeing for some luck in the draw so i can join this thread.

If you look at the bottom of the pic you can see the top my 7 year old nephews head...He was having a bad hair day..

7932img_0081+1.jpg

We decided to press our luck and see if we could get closer Travis actually had to zoom all the way out with the camera.

9484img_0076+1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-12 AT 05:33PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/3700colorado_sheep_029-2.jpg
Colorado 2010

Here's another photo of Jess' Ut desert ram, taken by my brother, just moments before she took the ram. He was a LOOOONG ways off and the photo isn't hi-quality but it's priceless to us.

6116imgp2108-1.jpg

I really love all the contributions to my FIX. I was going into ovis withdrawls. You guys are all great. The photos and the comments show you guys love sheep.

Thanks,
Zeke

PS; I hope we have another one to add when we return from the NWT about 8 August. My oldest daughter is hunting with Actic Red River Outfitters for Dall sheep. I couldn't be more proud of her. This will be my 3rd trip with them. My first Dall hunt with them was in 1981! (Ray Woodward was the old outfitter)

LBH,
Where's the NWT ARRO Dall pix for you and your son?
I thought you knew how to post Pix. LOL (I just learned how)
They are STUD rams. We need to see them.

Zeke

This thread is just what the OVIS Dr. ordered!
Nice sheep...and other great animals guys! I love that recent Rocky Bootsie!
And Dave, I'd forgotten how nice your Area 23 ram was!

Now for our contribution from August 2010
First--a couple of dinky Mountain Caribou that were truly "icing on the cake" of our amazing NWT sheep adventure!
765img_1096.jpg

7289img_0797.jpg

My son Spence's beautiful 12 year old Dark horned Dall
5121img_0786fix.jpg

And finally my best Jack O'Connor impression with my long awaited old white warrior.
2472109fix.jpg

Man I love looking at sheep pictures---keep em coming boys!

Magnificent!

I had the good fortune to hold LBH and son's Dall sheep and also the great UT Rocky that One-dryboot shot and the super UT desert ram that Mr Bowhunt shot. They are truly all fantastis trophies and the hunters worked hard and earned them all. Thanks guys for allowing me to celebrate with you! May we all have many more Ovis celebrations.

Zeke

Great photos!! LBH, those ARRO pictures are incredible. Your article was awesome.

Here's a few of mine from the past

My Dad's 1991 Utah Rocky
4861copy_of_jay_anderson_rocky.jpg

My 2003 Stone Sheep (This was my first sheep hunt)
4650dsc00332.jpg

9452dsc00340.jpg

My Dad's 2004 Full Curl Stone Sheep.
3405jay_stone_2004.jpg

My 2006 Arctic Red River Dall sheep
6700paul_sheep_3.jpg

My 2008 Alaska Dall
2236alaska_dall_2008.jpg

My 2008 Utah Escalante Desert
6764img_0572.jpg

2709img_1728.jpg

7828img_0602.jpg

I'll always remember our fist meeting. We were in the middle of nowhere, sort of, and you just "looked" like a sheep hunter! I'm glad I approached you on a hunch. I think you here headed out to hunt your big Rocky!

Zeke

All very nice sheep!

Here's a ram whose photo I took a few years back and one of the Monster Muley guy ended up filling his permit with this ram. I sent him a photo of it.

29.jpg

I was down taking sheep photos this past fall when this ram swam the river and ran up to the smaller rams I was photographing and shook like a dog. I know its not a great photo, but you can see the water droplets fly off him as he shook.

34-large.jpg

14a-1200.jpg

10.jpg

35-1200.jpg

Have a good one. BB

Here's a couple of Western AZ. desert rams that meet or exceed the 180 mark. I am very honored to have been a a part these two magnificant old warriors. Both rams were 10+ years old and are now the new unit records in each of their units.

Mr. Ken Miller 2008 - 180 1/8
4645ken_miller_44bn_08.jpg

Mr. Derral Crance 2010 - 183 7/8
905944ae+sheep+060.jpg

BTW I wanted to mention congrats to all the sussecful hunters and very cool live pics..Keep it up guys and good work!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-12 AT 09:33PM (MST)[p]I love this thread, congrats to everyone! I was lucky enough to draw a sheep tag last fall. I never dreamed how much it would affect me. It has been 6 months since I've been home from the hunt and I think about it all the time. I have posted a few pics of my ram reciantly, but I have not posted this one. It is one of my favorites taken with my phone camera. I took it with my phone because my batteries went dead with my good camera, thats why I'm not in it. The rifle is was given to me by my dad the night before my first deer hunt way back in 1982. I shot my fist buck with it the next day, thats one reason I like this photo so much. I did get batteries for the good camera and was back three hours later to take more pics. It was definately the hunt of a lifetime for me.

8103img00147.jpg

Tonight I opened the internet and took in another session of OVIS ANONYMOUS with this thread...and yes, I too am a sheepaholic!
I am not sure these sessions are helping get rid of this disease, but they sure make me feel better!
Great pictures guys.

Hey Paul, when are you headed back up to ARRO? Is that this year, or next?

Here is a pic. of my first Dall taken in 2001. He was 13 and pretty much skin and bone in August. TJ

April2012cameradownload007.jpg

TJ,
He has the "ancient ram" look. Beautiful!
You just don't get them much older than that.
I'd like to see my daughter get one just like that in about 3.5 months.

Zeke

Thanks Zeke. I am sure it will be an amazing experience for both you and your daughter. Here is one that is still on the mountain. He would meet their age minimum by now....how is the physical conditioning coming along...nothing quite like shouldering a heavy pack knowing that you are in "sheep shape"! TJ

ARRO2010011.jpg

TJ,

I'm still working on the physical conditioning. It's an ongoing process. I'll be climbing the mountains as soon as I can get on the trails above my cabin. Until then I'll continue to walk, jog and daypack (25 lbs shot bag) to start. I'm still a little sore today. At my age I don't recover quite as quickly.

At least I know what's coming and have an good idea what to expect on a backpack hunt.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-12 AT 09:00PM (MST)[p]
I'm going through wildrawals and this thread isn't helping. will a nicotine patch Cure my cravings? If not, my boys college fund might be in jeopardy.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-12 AT 12:36PM (MST)[p]Great photos everyone...

Once I figure out how to post photos, I will try and post a few of mine...

Zeke, I'm still trying!...Its not from the lack of effort..LOL! I'll figure it out!

Kevin,

Make sure that the file names don't include anything in () such as (2). I had problems with that yesterday and just had to rename the file before uploading to the site.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-12 AT 03:12PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-12 AT 03:07?PM (MST)

ysfosticytd

Come on Zeke,

Don't go gettin all Asian on us poor folks that can't afford to hardly get out of town, much less chase sheep across the pond! hey

LBH,

In regards to your question early in this thread, I was scheduled to hunt with ARRO in August of this year but I'm trying to postpone the hunt for a couple of years. That means I may not be going until 2014 or 2015.

Zeke,

Yes, I remember well the day we chatted at the gas station. It's not everyday you run into a fellow sheep addict. As I remember right, you had finished with your daughters desert hunt and were on your way home from helping LBH with his sons hunt. I can't think of a better addiction to share with your kids. When are you and your daughter headed up to ARRO?

Paul

Paul,
We'll be up there with ARRO in 3.5 months... and counting!
I hope she does well and we have a photo and story to share.
Zeke

5186copy_of_stonesheep_base_camp_048.jpg

9775stonesheep_base_camp_051.jpg

55462009_stone_sheep_and_goat_hunt_072.jpg

12692009_stone_sheep_and_goat_hunt_106.jpg

47342009_stone_sheep_and_goat_hunt_119.jpg

98812009_stone_sheep_and_goat_hunt_183.jpg

9972009_stone_sheep_and_goat_hunt_192.jpg

51712009_stone_sheep_and_goat_hunt_201.jpg

Here are a few photos from my 2009 Stone's Sheep hunt with "Big Nine Outfitters"...Jim Johnson was my guide! What an awesome Hunt!

Zeke, I have to agree with Littlebighorn, busting out the Argali pictures was kind of a low blow.....that being said, let's see some more pics...definitely a dream of mine but I have mixed emotions about hunting over there.

Here's another pic. to keep the thread moving along......TJ

FoldingMtnOutfittersstonesheep2011047.jpg

I'll be honest guys.
I love the scenery every bit as much as the sheep in you pix! That's one of the main reasons I love NA wild sheep hunting!

FABULOUS STUFF TJ.

Some of you guys must have dragged your sheep for miles just to get the beautiful backdrops! haha

Zeke

Here are some photos from my 2006 Utah desert sheep hunt on the South San Rafael unit!. This was a DIY hunt with my Dad and a good friend from Kalispell Montana. This ram was aged at 9 years old. Another Great experience!

2498desertsheep5.jpg

5802desertsheep7.jpg

1312desertsheep8.jpg

8783desertsheep1.jpg

5318desertsheep2.jpg

3083desertsheep3.jpg

555desertsheep6.jpg

5453desertsheep10.jpg

AWESOME RAM Kevin,he is about as good as they get, you did well, he definatly was my inspiration on my hunt.....BTW that country looks kinda familiar....

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

LOL! Thanks Treedagain!...But I think you done pretty well yourself in that unit.....That was a Great Ram you killed! Have you gotten him mounted yet?

I've always enjoyed the live photo contributions of BCboy, mesquitehunter and buglinbilly.

It's hard for me to pick a favorite post because I've had so much fun looking at them all.

This thread has turned out to be better than I could have imagined THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS!

Zeke

Awesome thread guys...tons of great pictures! Adirondake that bighorn is a SLOB!!!

Zeke, where are those Argali pics????

A group of desert rams from Utah. TJ

Escalantescouting2010016.jpg

Here's my 3rd installment of Sheep photos.These are from my 2005 Dall Sheep hunt from the Alaska Range with Brent Keith of "Castle Rock Outfitters" in Healy Alaska.

This was base camp in the Alaska Range!

483sv400007.jpg

Looking for Rams!

1081sv400010.jpg

400sv400009.jpg

827sv400012.jpg

7057sv400022.jpg

8944sv400026.jpg

A miserable cold and wet day! Waiting out the storm and for the clouds to lift!...They didn't!

1987sv400034.jpg

6088sv400035.jpg

The next morning the storm had moved out and I had a feeling it was going to be a "Special day"

4045sv400039.jpg

716sv400040.jpg

6007sv400043.jpg

My hard earned, 12.5 year old Ram!

7109sv400046.jpg

2389sv400047.jpg

7526sv400048.jpg

8257sv400052.jpg

6512sv400056.jpg

This ram was on the very edge of an overhang, that made taking photos somewhat risky!

5982sv400070.jpg

9795sv400082.jpg

This was my 1st ram!...and probably my most challenging, but yet memorable sheep hunt! with Great companions and lifelong friends....

Like they say, you never forget your "first" This hunt got me hooked!

Excellent KP!
WOW! All you guys are really coming through with some great photos and stories/pix.

Isn't hunting Dall sheep in the fog FUN? LOL

My brother and I hunted Dall sheep a couple days in a snow storm. The guide thought we were crazy. He asked "how can you spot anything?" We replied "we're looking for noses and bumholes" since that's about all that will be visable. We didn't see anything and should have stayed in the tent.

Zeke

PS: My brother brought a pack of matches into the office today. They're from the Nisku inn in Edmonton. We stayed there 28 years ago, on my 2nd Dall sheep hunt, on our way to hunt sheep in the NWT. Good times!

This is one of my favorite threads, ever! I am out of town or I would post more pictures, but if it is still going when I get back I will add more to it as well.

All the sheep are amazing! And the scenery is spectacular!!
I love your Stone TJ and Addy, that has to be a stud ram (MT Breaks I am guessin?)
And Kevin I still think your SSR ram has to be a unit record
Zeke I imagine you will be able to get another book of matches at the Nisku, in a few months! They serve a pretty tasty "pre-sheep hunt" steak in their restaurant!
Funny what things you remember when you think about it!

Wow, thanks for all the pictures and stories, can't wait to go on another sheep hunt. They are the "oatmeal" for me, they really stay with me. This is my Dalls sheep from Alaska 2010. Many thanks to Sue my guide and Lingo, our helper. It was a blast.
KLM
7039cimg2468.jpg

3474cimg2474.jpg

A major storm was coming in and began right after we took care of the sheep, it rained solid for four days. I am glad we decided to take the ram when we did.

KLM,
Great sheep!
I can see the clouds are getting lower. That's never a good sign whe you're hunting sheep. You'd have gone crazy over those 4 days if you hadn't killed your ram. The weather can sure jack with a sheep hunt!
Zeke

Here is my last installment of sheep photos...

In 2010, I was fortunate to Draw an Area 2 Tag in Wyoming. I hunted with Meade Dominick of "7D Ranch Outfitting" in Cody Wyoming.

Trailhead!

8791wyomingbighorn2010_110.jpg

Rugged Country!

7953wyomingbighorn2010_113.jpg

271wyomingbighorn2010_120.jpg

Sheep camp!

8445wyomingbighorn2010_122.jpg

2436wyomingbighorn2010_134.jpg

652wyomingbighorn2010_131.jpg

8284wyomingbighorn2010_006.jpg

Hard Climb at 12,000 ft, but it was worth it!

2345wyomingbighorn2010_015.jpg

9166wyomingbighorn2010_018.jpg

1176wyomingbighorn2010_040.jpg

8380wyomingbighorn2010_041.jpg

8051wyomingbighorn2010_058.jpg

4135wyomingbighorn2010_059.jpg

Meade Dominick and Myself!

9543wyomingbighorn2010_064.jpg

Trailing out of the High Counrty!...with Justin Novakovich!

3343wyomingbighorn2010_091.jpg

3248wyomingbighorn2010_096.jpg

My quest for the "Full Curl" came to an end on October 10, 2010

What a Great hunt. With two very Great friends!

Thanks for taking a look a my photos and memories everyone!

Great reporting and great photos Kevin! I love the high country and the low country... as long as it contains some wild sheep!

Zeke

Great looking Rocky! Although not sheep pics, they are from a sheep hunt. We found the debris in the second picture on a small plateau in the ARRO concession. It had to have been a propellar blade from a early model helo, the leading edge was aluminum but the body of the blade was wood! Someone definitely had an epic experience on that mountain! TJ

IMG_0290-1.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

Thanks Zeke! I appreciate all the nice comments...I knew once I figured out how to post photos, there would be no end! Haha!

I agree!...High Country, Low Country! doesn't matter as long as it holds those Wild Sheep!

Good Luck to you in the NWT!...Looking forward to your full report!

KP

Zeke,

This is one of the best threads I have ever followed on MM. Thanks for getting it started. Kevin awesome photos!!! TJ, the ARRO photos are great. I'll have to post a few more later to help Zeke get ready for his hunt later this year.

Here are few photos from my 2009 Utah Rocky Hunt. A much different Rocky Habitat then Kevin's hunt.

8465img_2428.jpg

5633img_2428.jpg

Note, the old pick that was left behind by the sheep herders who built the trail up the near vertical face. It had probably been there for close to 100 years. We were able to follow a line of Cairns that they left behind to make our way up a hill side that looked impassible.
5852background-1.jpg

8413img_2551.jpg

5862img_2473.jpg

6649ram_photo.jpg

"OVIS PYREXIA" cannot be described in terms that the unaffected can comprehend. It can only be understood by those who have the affliction and are struggling to deal with the symptoms and uncontrollable urges. Tom Saad said this in his "DESERT BIGHORNS" book. I still open the book and look at it sevearal times a month.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-12 AT 10:25PM (MST)[p]Great pictures, I love looking at sheep pictures.

This is a great thread. I've yet to trip the trigger on a ram of my own but I've been fortunate to tag along and watch a few sheep hit the dirt. I really enjoy looking at all of the pics so I figured I'd add a few as well.

2900sheep7.jpg

751sheep8.jpg

9021sheep18.jpg

9506sheep16.jpg

6780sheep17.jpg

7152sheep15.jpg

8712sheep9.jpg

9793sheep10.jpg

174-1/8 NET ram.

5305sheep1.jpg

8119sheep2.jpg

7519sheep3.jpg

3307sheep4.jpg

8780sheep5.jpg

169-3/8 NET ram

9742sheep6.jpg

This is the kind of "club" which cost no money and you are not required to be the "trigger man" on a sheep hunt!

You just need to love the wild sheep, the hunt, the country and the people with whom you share it!

YOU GUYS ARE THE ONE WHO ARE MAKING THIS THREAD GREAT THROUGH YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS! THANKS!

Zeke

I don't post very often to this forum although I enjoy reading your sheep hunting posts, seeing pictures, and hearing about your adventures out on the mountain chasing rams. Congrats to each one of you on successfully taking some great rams and thanks for sharing. There's no doubt that the majority of you have been infected with the dreaded "sheep hunting disease." I hope you know that there is no cure for this affliction and that you will suffer from the symptoms for the rest of your lives....lack of sleep from seeing rams in your dreams, spending countless hours researching, taking hard earned money to spend on binos, gear, rifles, and of course booking hunts, etc. Some people believe that old age can cure your disease but it doesn't!

I recognize many of you who have posted to this thread and greatly respect your desire, dedication, and relentless passion for sheep hunting. You are all to be commended on your successes and hard work. Thanks a lot Zeke for starting this thread......I guess you realize you have really caused some major issues at work and home with all the time we are spending looking at sheep pics!!! LOL Guess I will add to the problem by joining in on the fun!

Here are some pics of my last dall sheep hunt with Arctic Red as well as a photo of my Stone taken a decade ago in the Stikine Mts.

My second dall taken with Arctic Red
536randy_dall.jpg

"Dog Tired" chasing big dall ram!
4601dog_tired_on_arctic_red.jpg

Stone taken in Stikine Mts
740randy_stone_sheep.jpg

Nothing like sheep ribs on the hike out!
2163randysheepribs.jpg

This is the photo that will appear in your post.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-12 AT 12:17PM (MST)[p]Shadow,
Which one is the tired "dog"? Both? LOL

While we all appreciate your "thin-horn" photos, your claim to fame is bighorn amongst the red rocks!

Those of us who know you really appreciate who you are and what you stand for and for your contributions to desert sheep hunting! Thanks!

By the way, I'm the example of the ovis affliction affecting even those who are getting long-in-the-tooth. Years ago people would tell me that I'd out-grow this sheep hunting thing. It's just not so!

I think I'll run out of time long before I lose my desire!

Zeke

Sharing pics of some great rams taken in Utah. Genetics in sheep is so unique with Arizona and Nevada having some of the best genes for desert sheep in the U.S. Every state that is lucky enough to have sheep herds and tags should consider itself very fortunate. It's always such an honor and privilege when we get the opportunity to hunt any species of wild sheep. In my opinion, every time a ram is taken it should be considered a trophy no matter what it scores.

Mr. Jeff Jones Kaparowitz Ram

181jeff_jones_ram.jpg

Mr. Randy Rosenthal Zion Ram
6403randy_rosenthal.jpg

Mr. Mark Butler and son Andrew - Kaparowitz Ram
6716mark_butler_ram.jpg

Mr. Mitch Olsen with his "Sledgehammer Ram"
7279mitch_olsen.jpg

Mr. Warren Kirk - Escalante Ram
3886warren_kirk.jpg

Mr. Gordon Smith - A classic ram from the Dirty Devil
9355gordon_smith.jpg

Mr. Cal Bambrough - Escalante Ram
2799cal_bambrough.jpg

Mr. Kim Rappleye - Zion Ram
922rappleye_ram.jpg

Sam Dallon - Zion Ram
7722sam_dallon.jpg

Not to sound repetitious but this is the best thread ever!! Thanks to Zeke, you da man! Here is how I got started with a desert from south San Juan. Got him on the last day. I was resigned to the fact that I had blown it but Brad Turner stepped in gave me a hand and we got it done on this ram. I missed a big ram about 10 days prior, I still see him when I close my eyes. But, I couldn't be happier, thanks to all those who were there with me, especially my dad. He was there on the first one and I hope he can make it for the last one. The bad thing about going on those trips up north is being alone on the hunt, except for Littlebighorn and his son, that is way cool. Thanks to everyone for sharing.
8590desert_sheep.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-12 AT 08:58PM (MST)[p]

We took over 1000 pictures on my Rocky mtn sheep hunt last fall.

I will try to scan my pictures from my 1995 Desert sheep hunt and post them if I can.

8434sh.jpg

5095sheep.jpg

3486sheep_h.jpg

My 2011 Rocky Mtn Ram
7169my_sheep.jpg

Kurt, post up those pics of your desert...tick,tock...

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

There are about 10 X2 posts in this thread!

Thx everyone for posting and thanks also to Zeke. LOL, I have a few pics that have to be scanned as well.

TJ

LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-12 AT 11:34AM (MST)[p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-12 AT 11:29?AM (MST)[/font

Awesome...super photos! Thanks a bunch for gettin the fever fired up Zeke, I'd just gotten the dang thing under control :)

Thanks everyone for the excellent photos...nothin like wild sheep and the country they call home

Cheers'

**edit---tried to upload a few pics but they posted as links that don't work...dammit

GW I was wondering when you were gonna surface here. Get those pics up boy!

This has turned out to be an awesome thread. I'll be posting some more pics up here real soon.

Great Photos Treedagain!....yeah!... that country looks familiar...Congratulations again on a Great Ram!

What a great thread and collection of ram pics! You guys have killed some awesome rams! I've been dreaming of sheep hunting since I was 7 years old and have been fortunate to take 4 rams - I hope there's more in the near future - simply the best mountain experience out there! Here's to all the great sheep hunters out there and to all the tags that are coming in the mail this year...

1593bighorn1.jpg

9643dall3.jpg

756stone1.jpg

8817dall_sheep_photo.jpg

9216dall1.jpg

7223dall2.jpg

2892stone2.jpg

Very nice 191..It looks like all you need is a Desert to complete the package..Hopefully soon.

You got it Mesquite - it will happen someday. You ever get a feeling that a sheep tag is coming your way? Cuz, I got that feeling this year - don't care if it's a Rocky or a Desert - I'll be proud to be sheep hunting.

Here's two opening day AZ rams from 2010

9035_kii9297.jpg

Here's Mr. Ellis Taylor's third day AZ ram from 2010.

8964img_0197.jpg

Taximan, Excellent ram. I know what you mean about the images burned into your mind. I have a few like that.

Here's one;
The day before the NV 1983 sheep season we bumped a GREAT ram as we were backpacking into the area. We'd never seen him on THAT side of the mountain before but he was this time! We didn't spook him too hard but we never found him again. OOPS

kk, great photos, great hunt, excellent addition to the thread!

Mesquitehunter, those "first day" rams might be misleading to some guys. We both know the countless hours that went into the hunt long before the opening day! LOL. Those 3 rams are studs. Rarely do rams like those come by luck!

Keep up the good work guys!
Zeke

The sheep Gods were smiling on me when my name was pulled out of a raffle for this Stones sheep hunt. It was an awesome experience, and I still think about it all the time. Zeke was up in the area the same time when he killed his stone ram and moose. I shot a moose also. The funny thing about it was when I got back everybody was more excited about the moose, I think it was the same way with Zeke. We rode horses for a full day and then hiked another day to get up into the sheep. Past the mountain goats and caribou, but there were still elk on the same ridge. We kept creeping and getting closer and finally used the topography to get to 80 yards, when I shot the ram folded up and rolled past my guide and me. I didn't know whether to try to stop it and get tangled up or let it go. It stopped on a small bench where we could take care of it nicely. We then made a bad mistake, we took off down the ridge hoping to walk out the bottom and make our way up the other drainage. We got ledged out in the dark and slept overnight in our clothes, but the weather was nice. I woke up in the middle of the night and saw the northern lights. In the morning we made it down to the river but only could go a little ways and determined it impossible to make it. We had to go back over the top of all those ridges we came from. We loaded up with water and took off uphill. At the days end when we topped the last ridge it was just barely light enough to see our little blue tent down in the bottom. At least we know which direction to go in the dark.
The sounds of the horses keyed us in when we got closer. I will never forget those days. I would try it again in a heartbeat. I took many rolls of film on that hunt but scanned in this one to post, I even had a small video camera with me when I shot the ram but forgot to get it out of the pack. Thanks for this post again.
KLM
8829stones_sheep_2003.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom