Sheep points

That info is posted on the AG&FD website. In the 1-2 pass there are usually some winners in every point class, all the way down to zero. Typical draw odds are a fraction of 1% for sheep.

>That info is posted on the
>AG&FD website. In the 1-2
>pass there are usually some
>winners in every point class,
>all the way down to
>zero. Typical draw odds are
>a fraction of 1% for
>sheep.

I see the info on the website but I was wondering if anyone knew or had drawn themselves with low points in the random

LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-18 AT 04:19PM (MST)[p]I have heard of a nonresident drawing with zero points.

Max is 29 going into this year?s draw. 66 residents and 3 nonresidents have that. The real shocker is 33 nonresidents missing just the hunter education point at 28 points! Man, if I had that, I'd find a way to get to AZ and take the supplemental course!

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-18
>AT 04:19?PM (MST)

>
>I have heard of a
>nonresident drawing with zero
>points.
>
>Max is 29 going into this
>year?s draw. 66 residents and
>3 nonresidents have that. The
>real shocker is 33 nonresidents
>missing just the hunter education
>point at 28 points! Man,
>if I had that, I'd
>find a way to get
>to AZ and take the
>supplemental course!

No joke.

I drew with 11 in 2012, nonresident and I was tag #1 of 6 issued in the unit I drew. I had 9 years of applying plus the loyalty and hunters ed for a total of 11.

I'm back up to 7 points for Rockies.

Arizona has been kind to me, 4 rifle bull elk tags, 2 great coues permits, and desert sheep. Only been applying there since 2003.

Hunt was a fun time, spent about 2 weeks immediately prior to the season poking around and looking at rams.

Done within the first 30 minutes of the season.

IMG_0988.JPG

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-18 AT 11:56AM (MST)[p]Nice ram Buzz.

Nothing against you, but this is a topic that is super frustrating for me and a lot of AZ residents. I see a lot of older men in AZ not ever drawing a sheep tag. I have 18 points and will be lucky to ever draw a sheep tag in my home state. I think it would be fair to the residents to limit sheep tags to residents only. I know lots of people would be pissed and the state would never do it due to revenue, but it's frustrating seeing guys get old and quit hunting before they draw the sheep tag. What's also sad is my son will likely never draw. The odds are terrible and only getting worse. Most hunts are 1/1400 plus odds. I've changed my strategy from trying to draw a decent tag to trying to draw a tag at all. Even the terrible units are 1/150. Statistically I could and probably will die before I draw a tag even in a terrible unit.

In 2017 there was 17,556 people putting in for 104 tags. 1/169.

I think a lot of us feel the same about non residents hunting our states. In my home state you can get otc deer tags and kill 6 deer for a couple hundred dollars. It costs me more than that for one deer in ur state after the twenty years it takes to draw it and thousands spent on licenses and app fees that never guarantee a tag. I certainly feel ur frustration.

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-18
>AT 11:56?AM (MST)

>
>Nice ram Buzz.
>
>Nothing against you, but this is
>a topic that is super
>frustrating for me and a
>lot of AZ residents. I
>see a lot of older
>men in AZ not ever
>drawing a sheep tag. I
>have 18 points and will
>be lucky to ever draw
>a sheep tag in my
>home state. I think it
>would be fair to the
>residents to limit sheep tags
>to residents only. I know
>lots of people would be
>pissed and the state would
>never do it due to
>revenue, but it's frustrating seeing
>guys get old and quit
>hunting before they draw the
>sheep tag. What's also sad
>is my son will likely
>never draw. The odds are
>terrible and only getting worse.
>Most hunts are 1/1400 plus
>odds. I've changed my
>strategy from trying to draw
>a decent tag to trying
>to draw a tag at
>all. Even the terrible units
>are 1/150. Statistically I could
>and probably will die before
>I draw a tag even
>in a terrible unit.
>
>In 2017 there was 17,556 people
>putting in for 104 tags.
>1/169.

Lots of people are going to die every year not getting to hunt their own state or any other state for certain species. I apply for DBHS in 6 states and I have a few points in the states that have a point system (e.g. 20 pts in AZ, 17 pts NV, 18 pts UT, 17 pts CA). Even with all of my apps submitted every year over the course of 40+ years I will likely never draw a tag. Sad to say, but reality. If you excluded NRs from applying for DBHS in AZ you'd still have thousands of people that will never draw. If you want a slim chance at a DBHS tag there are two things you have to do...apply in as many states as you can and be patient!

Now draw a tag and post some picts!

Makes me wonder what it will be like in 30-40 years. I'm seeing elk units in AZ that we used to be able to draw with 3-4 points 10-15 years ago that are now 8-10 points needed. These are early archery low end units. Looks bleak for our young hunters future, but thats just the reality with an increasing population and limited animals. The quality of deer and elk in AZ has dropped overall with AZGFD's increase in hunter opportunity. They are in a tough position trying to balance quality with opportunity.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-18 AT 06:58PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-18 AT 06:57?PM (MST)

CouesFanatic,

I don't blame you and don't find your comments offensive or out of line at all. In fact, I agree with you on some of your thoughts.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do understand and accept that each State can choose to limit NR's any way they want, or even choose to not allow NR's to apply at all.

In the meantime, I will continue to graciously apply for tags where I can as a NR, including AZ.

I hear you on the disenfranchising of youth, that ship sailed when your State chose to adopt preference/bonus points.

For the record, I have applied for CO, MT, AZ, NV, WY for a long time for sheep. I also apply sporadically for ID and NM too. This year was year 37 that I've been rejected for sheep in Montana...19th year in Wyoming.

For guys like me that have been seriously applying for around 20 years, I think its realistic to draw 1-3 sheep tags if you apply long enough. For guys just starting out??? I don't think that's realistic anymore.

I apply for a lot of tags in a lot of states, and I've been on the somewhat lucky side. Have drawn goat and moose in MT, desert sheep in AZ, moose in WY, oryx in NM, and musk ox in Alaska. None of those odds were good at all. But, my thought is, you apply long enough, for enough species, you're bound to draw some good tags eventually.

Good luck in the draws.

If a person applies every year in every state for desert bighorn, odds of drawing a tag are under 20% in 60 years of applying, unless you are a NV or AZ resident and pick easier to draw units every year. It's still under 50% with that. Fact is most people will die before drawing a desert bighorn tag. Just be stoked if you do:)

Yup, those are crazy statistics! Here in Utah I figured my odds a few years in a row to see how much it would change, by just taking everyone who had the same amount of points as me, and everybody up to max points, took just the bonus tag numbers and divided it into the point total groups at my level, and above. It changed by 5-15 years depending on where the max point holders were applying, but I would had have to lived to be 120-135 years old, to be guaranteed a tag. And that's considering the tag totals stay the same over the next 85 years!
Wasn?t trying to depress anyone any further.
Well I ended up beating the odds and was fortunate enough to draw after only 13 years of applying.
Now I'm sure I just pissed a lot of people off?
All I can say is, someone has to draw the tags...

I have hunted with guys that had zero points when they drew their sheep tag and a lot that had under 5.I have applied for 42 years and have max points.I have watched 40 plus AZ rams hit the dirt.I love sheep hunting just wished it could be my turn!!!!!

Idcurs, I hope your card gets hit today!
Along with all the other deserving applicants...
Oh, and maybe me too;)

Keep the hope up
I drew in Idaho, my home state for rocky Mtn sheep
Had been applying in various states for 33 years

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom