Sheephunter - Question re Pink Mountain

W

woodey

I read an article you published in the Hunting Report re this area being purchased by Christina Falls Outfitters. Your report really sounded good. Wanted to see if you had any reports from this fall. Very interested in how they did. I did a search and could not come up with a web site. Did get an email address, but it has since been discontinued.There was a web site that looked like it was operated by the local tribe. Are they controlling the hunting or is it a seperate outfit from Christina falls? The way you described the place, it looks like a place that needs to be checked out with a rifle in hand along with multiple tags. Any info greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Woody

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-02 AT 04:11PM (MST)[p]Hi Woody:

Kim and I spent two weeks in Darwin and Angie's new area in late September and saw several good bull moose. Here is a picture of the bull that Kim took.
Kim02moose-lq.jpg

Darwin will be operating the area again in 2003. Kim and I are going back on a Stone sheep/elk combo in mid-August. This area really is incredible and has seen very little hunting pressure for nearly a decade. The biggest moose they killed this year was just over 210 B&C but they took several in the 180s. Considering these are Canada moose and what the cost of the hunt is, it is a pretty good bargain with an opportunity to take a huge bull.

Darwin is supposed to be bringing up a new web site any day now. The address will be www.christinafalls.com and it will contain info about the Pink Mountain area as well. I know Darwin is booking up pretty quick for next year and after the television show we did with him airs in late January, I'm sure he will be booked right up. If you are interested in hunting with him in 2003, I'd give him a call now. His number is 250-783-9455.

This was my fourth hunt with Darwin and Angie and they are first-class people and this new area really is something to be experienced.

The area in ??? is Lynn Ross's old area. hasn't been hunted til '02 since 93.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Sheephunter, could you please tell me a little about Darwin's prices for Stone's and how far out he is booked and also how many he takes a year. Thats a great looking moose Kim took. Thanks, cb

T.J. Thanks for the info. Tell me what you saw re the elk population and the quality of the bulls. What is a top end bull for that area. What is realistic for the majority of everyone else ? Does the local Indian tribe still conduct hunts or does Darwin control all of it ? Also, same questions re the sheep hunts. I went on a cancellation hunt this year for Dall sheep and like every sheep hunter, I'm hooked. Thanks for all the info. Very much appreciated.

Woody

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-02 AT 06:28PM (MST)[p]Yes, this is Lynn Ross' old area. You'd better contact Darwin about prices, availability and cancellations as I'm not 100% certain.

I took a nice Stone ram with Darwin in 1998

Tapidero1.jpg

I don't think the area has a high population of rams compared to some others but he takes very few hunters and I think his success rates are quite high.

The area we hunted this year was not a good elk area. The prime elk areas are closer to the main ranch. We were at some pretty high elevations. It was primarily moose and sheep country. I talked with a couple other hunters that said they'd seen some 320-340-class elk but I'm not certain. We saw lots of moose, sheep, caribou, goats, as well as a few grizzlies.

Darwin is a real easy guy to talk to and a pretty straight shooter. Tell him you were talking with me if you like.

T.J.

Darwin is the only outfitter hunting the area now. The Indians have turned control of the area over to him and Angie.

T.J.

The area around Pink Mountain has good populations of Elk, you just have to know where to go. One of my friends did a fly in hunt there, and he said he was seeing over 200 elk a day! So if you go it should be a very awesome hunt!!!!
It is also awesome for moose, and stone sheep. If i get a job in Fort Nelson this summer im gonna spend my weekends sheep hunting!! Gotta love BC seasons!

The northern populations of elk are doing awesome. Lots of elk in that country. It is not known for monsters though. Bulls range in the 280-320 range. For most guys that's still big. Elk are a good combo with moose and stones.

What BCBOY said is what i heard about the northern elk as well. Theres a ton of elk but not many huge bulls. The guy i know that hunted up there shot a 6x6, and his buddy got a monster 5 pt that scored 300", which i guess is good for a 5 pt. No matter the absence of monster bulls, the hunt would be an awesome experience filled with memories that will last a lifetime, nothing gets better than that!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom