shimming a Scope

A

Azhunter22

K i had a previous post about a simmons scope that failed. I went out and spent a little more money and bought a bushnell, banner(dusk & dawn) it is a 6-18x-50, i took it out and sighted it in but, i had a little problem. As i was shooting i was hitting way low and this was at 50 yards. I adjusted it up and up and up till it was maxed out, and i am still hitting 4 inches low at 50 yards, i am dead on with the windage part but low with probably a little under a 3/4 group, any recomendations on what to use to shim it.-Justin

Try cuting a strip off of a aluminun beer or soda can.

faebfccc.jpg

I used a .008 feeler gauge and had to shim it with 3 of those to be hitting high a 50 yards i am about 1.5 to 2 inches high now what do you think the zero would be on that. i didnt get a chance to take any longer shots than that cause i had 8 bullets to get it right. I have to go to Sportsmans wharehouse to buy bullets cause i havent seen any other stores here with the remington swift scirocco's. I am dead center though so i think my zero would be around 150 to 200 does this sound about right.

To be honest I have never had to shim a scope.I have heard of people using a strip or two of a soda can.Good luck.

faebfccc.jpg

soda or beer cans work great. With weaver type bases put 3/8"x 1-1/4" strips between the scope and bottom half of the rear ring. With redfield type bases put 1/2" squares under the rear ring base between base and ring and re-tighten windage screws. I can't remember ever having to shim a scope because gun was shooting too high.

JB

Azhunter22;
What brand of scope mounts are you using? If it is a cheap set of Weavers or similar, you might cure the problem by buying a better quality set of rings and bases. also if you are hitting 1.5-2inches at 50 yards, not 100 yards, you will sighted in for about 350-400 yards. It should be hitting about 1.5 inches at 100 yards for a zero of 200 yards.

RELH

GOT IT FIGURED OUT, I FOUND A CHART THAT TELLS HOW MUCH TO SHIM A SCOPE FOR THE AMOUNT IT IS HITTING LOW OR HIGH. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE THOUGH, ANY ADVICE IS GOOD AT SOMEPOINT. THE SET OF MOUNTS I BOUGHT FOR IT, WERE PURCHASED AT A PLACE CALLED GUNS PLUS IN AZ NEAR WERE I LIVE THEY WERE AROUND 35$ FROM WHAT I REMEBER THE RINGS I PUT ON MY 30-30 WERE 85 SO I THINK THEY WERE A CHEAPER SET SO I MIGHT UPGRADE WHEN I GET SOME EXTRA DOUGH IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. SUCKS WHEN MONEY IS SHORT.-JUSTIN

Justin;
I'm glad that you have the problem worked out. As for the money being short on buying sporting gear, Hell ! we have all been there at one time or another.
Good Hunting;
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom