Shipping an untanned frozen cape?

nontypical

Long Time Member
Anyone ever done this? I'd like to ship a cape that is in my freezer to my taxidermist. Never done it before, but I once shipped a frozen fish to be mounted to a taxidermist. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Always ship on Monday USPS overnight or two day has worked for me for lion and elk capes
Dry Ice with plenty of cushioning & insulation around the ice & the cape & as above USPS overnight or 2 day will do it- use plenty of dry ice & also the Tracking option too to follow its journey & delivery. Alert the Taxidermist to the shipment enroute to him- verify its arrived with a phone call. This method has worked for me every time used over last 40 plus years.
Best of Luck ! Congratulations ! Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado ???

A lot depends upon how far you are shipping? If you are shipping across the US or to isolated locations I would wait for things to settle down from the holidays plus covid. It's taking a chunk longer for 2 to 3+ day shipping right now. You'll be paying steep shipping charges if you ship overnight but it would likely be worth not screwing up a cape. A friend of mine recently send a cape from a Midwest state to Pennsylvania 2 to 3 day USPS and it didn't show up for 2+ weeks.....ruined!

As mentioned above, definitely insulate the box with either foam or cut strips of insulation. Ship on a Monday and make sure your package is insured for replacement plus shipping costs. Keep an eye out on the weather forecast on both ends for the days you intend on shipping. Also, check out the last hour that shipments are accepted so the package isn't sitting in a post office or FedEx building all day long. I've shipped a lot of capes and skins over the years and had the best luck with FedEx. They usually charge a little more than USPS but I think it's worth it.

Good luck!

I would go ups! Post office seems to lose about 1 package a month for our business. Fed-ex is basically worthless outside city limits! UPS seems to be fairly reliable and our guy knows us so more personalized service.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom