Shipping meat home

bowedark

I have a Moose tag again in Vermont hope to have Moose meat, horns to ship home. Going to fly out & back. Any help would be great.

Can't help, but you could send me the backstraps!! lol Just wondering, how many points to draw and what is the cost of the tag? Public or private land. pc

Hmmm going from Vermont to where??? My wife worked at Fed ex and UP s while we were in Alaska. There really is no cheap option as far as shipping something as big as a moose. Also the only way either FedEx or UPS will ship it is overnight and that will be expensive no matter what. Are you on such a tight time table that the only way to do the hunt is to fly? Maybe there are options. I knew guys that would freeze their catch of fish in Alaska and mail their clothes home and carry the fish into the plane in their checked baggage. Best of luck to ya.
WVBOWAK

Unless you live in San Diego......you will save money renting a car.

I wouldn't want to guess the cost to overnight 400+ pounds of moose meat and a moose rack of ANY size, much less a big one.

Interesting conundrum, nevertheless.

".....but by God, I never said a word to a pig!"

Leave the meat. Get the cape prepared and then ship home the cape and horns at the same time. Will save a bunch of money if you split the skull for shipping purposes.

LOL, are you joking???? Moose is about the best meat I have ever had, better than any Omaha Steak Co. steak could even dream about being. Besides going on a like than and bringing home no meat is just foolish. He would be better off renting a car and blazing a path home, just stop for gas, ice, and the occasional pee break. Try to stop only one or two nights, keep replacing the ice, and get home as fast as possible.
WVBOWAK

Also if he kills a book animal and splits the skull he just ruined his trophy.
WVBOWAK

I wouldn't ship it by UPS. I've been to Alaska many times. Sometimes I go to the State Trooper's copshop and get a permit to donate and transfer meat to the needy and sometimes I bring the meat home. The best way I've found is to pack the frozen meat in waxed cardboard boxes and have the airlines ship it as additional baggage. I've shot moose before and I highly recommend bringing it home. I love moose.

For long distance dial 1-800-338-EDGE

You might want to check with some of the local meat processors in the area your going to hunt. I know around here there are some that cut/wrap/and ship wild game. I believe they do it on temperature controlled trailers so it doesn't have to go over night shipping such as FedEx or UPS. Just a thought.

Mailing anything overnight is expensive since there is the high chance it will spoil. My wife used to work for Fed Ex, and she told me it costs about 100 dollars to ship a 20 pound box overnight, pretty much anywhere in the US. Keep in mind she quit working for Fed Ex in May of 2009, so I am sure it might be more expensive. So what is the average weight of a boned out moose from Vermont? Say 400-600 pounds? So that is 20-30 boxes weighing 20 pounds. Now is a renting a car cheaper? I think so.
WVBOWAK

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom