shipping ML

littlebull209338

I was told by an FLS dealer that I could ship ML direct without going thru him. The one FEDEX site also said I could. I have spent 5 hours , after going to hub shipping locations and franchise locations only to learn..NO..only if an antique.

Not entirely true, as most muzzleloaders are not classified by BATF as firearms. There are certain ones like TC Encores and I think one or two of the Traditions where they have interchangeable receiver/barrel that must go thru FFL. The UPS stores in the shopping malls etc are not UPS, but franchises that operate as UPS pick-up locations and can have different rules.

I buy and sell muzzleloaders all the time, and ship directly to people. My UPS and USPS both accept them without question. I have had people request me to send them FedEx because of their delivery situations and have done that also. Go to the actual main shipping office. You cannot send them to certain states back East like NY, NJ, Il, Wash DC, etc. without going thru a FFL as a 4473 form is required by the purchaser.

I just buy a half dozen of the cheap Plano plastic gun cases from Sportsman's for about $20/ea., and make sure I get the brown cardboard boxes they come in also See the picture. They ship great and the post office loves the secure packaging.

12CC21B3-C580-42C8-B528-BB5323597110.jpeg

Last edited:
Boy...I tried hard...UPS hub people spent over an hour on the phone with their head office and could not obtain the required reference number. I went to the FEDEX hub facility and the gal did not hesitate.."not antique-we can not ship" end of story. I had gone to the post office and was told no way. I then went to several UPS stores all of which sent me to another location. I have them packaged in an older gun case all taped up and ready. Darn I hate to pay an FLS to ship them.

Sorry you're having such difficulties. Those people need to learn their jobs better. From the BATFE website....

"The term “antique firearm” means any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898.
The definition includes any replica of an antique firearm if it is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or uses rimfire or conventional centerfire ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States, and which is not readily available in ordinary channels of commercial trade. Further, any muzzle loading rifle, shotgun, or pistol which is designed to use black powder or black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition, is an “antique firearm” unless it (1) incorporates a firearm frame or receiver; (2) is a firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon; or (3) is a muzzleloading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof. See 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3), (a)(16).
Thus, a muzzle loading weapon that meets the definition of an “antique firearm” is not a firearm

I guess the issue is that one is a TC Encore and thus has the ability to change out the barrels. I went to the UPS main facility in Commerce City and they were great-on the phone-with head office for an hour, Thank you guys for all your help

your local shops could possibly mail it out for you. they know the laws and carriers, and if it doesn't need an FFL, that doesn’t mean they won’t help you mail an unregulated item for a small fee. Doesn't hurt to ask.

In my experiences, a lot of these store and hub workers allow their personal opinions/fears/beliefs dictate how they do their job and what they will allow you to ship.

They can ship them, glad to see you got it figured out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom