Shipping to AK

COtransplant

Looking for your experience/opinion.
What's the best company or method to ship a camp ahead to Alaska? With modern day BS on airlines with weight restrictions and baggage fees, I'm thinking I may be better off to ship ahead of time.
To be particular, I need to ship to Mekoryuk on Nunivak Island. I have heard that maybe Lindon Transport is a good option?
I intend to crate up a package with a bunch of my camp needs

I've mailed camp to remote Alaska twice...both times in boxes, not crates, and used USPS both times with no issues. Suggest shipping a month in advance if shipping Parcel Post or two weeks in advance for Priority Mail. Expected delivery dates will be shorter, but better safe than sorry IMO.

Sorry, no experience with Lindon Transport?

Good luck on the hunt!

Use Alaska Airlines Known Shipper and send it up as Cargo, a few weeks ahead. If your Guided, your Guide should have this status and use his credentials. Otherwise USPS...

I know it's not what your asking for but I've been on over a dozen trips to Alaska from Colorado over the years with Alaska Airlines. I've done self-guided trips where I bring my own camp and gear. I've never had a problem losing gear with them and it's always arrived with me at the airport. You probably save a pile of cash doing it that way! I can remember sitting with another hunter that sent his camp up separate and choked when I heard how much he was charged! I believe it was around $2,000! If you have an Alaska Airlines card you can likely get free first 2 bags and it's around $55 for each additional bag. Super heavy, bulky bags are a little more but still reasonable. I also have them haul my meat and horns/antlers back frozen. Last trip I hauled home 250 lbs of salmon, halibut, mtn goat, cape, horns, and meat plus another 150 lbs of gear and it was only $350....that's by far the cheapest and most dependable way to go!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom