Shiras moose taste?

DonVathome

Very Active Member
How is compared to elk? I am not hearing good things. My AK moose was tough but great eating. Shiras moose from WY if that matters.

I like moose meat. I cube all the steaks. Everyone will have a different take.

What unit did you put in for? Hope you have a great hunt.
Mark

My Shiras in Wyoming was really good. Had to be pretty careful when cooking cause it’s was so lean. Seemed to go from perfectly done to boot leather pretty quick.

Shiras moose are generally excellent taste. Many think better than elk, as moose tends to be a bit more mild.
On the other hand, moose quite often are very tough, as they are often taken in the rut. I have a tendency to grind almost all of the moose meat as a result, and it can make excellent burger. It is very, very lean, so additional pork fat can make it even better!
Bill

I think it's second only to sheep. I'm skeptical of anyone who claims game tastes bad, or even tough. I've had a couple rutty bucks/bulls in my life but IMO most of the time bad meat is a product of bad processing.
I agree on the handling/cooking theory. I was told by everyone my Mtn Goat would be gross, FWP aged him at 9 years old and my wife and I really enjoyed the meat. I’d take it over elk personally.

Thanks guys! I handle meat myself and anyone who has hunted with me knows I am really uptight. Everyone I have ever hunted with has told me I am the most anal person they ever met about cooling it, rotating it in coolers etc. I always cook over charcoal and bring 20 pounds home fresh to eat before freezing.

Very rarely do I like a whitetail. After starting to hunt elk 20 yeas ago deer got really old really fast. Hard to pull a deer steak out of a freezer with elk steaks in it..............

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't use the words "anal" and "meat" in the same paragraph please. LOL

I think shiras moose are great to eat. Obviously some cuts are more tender, just like deer, elk and beef but the flavor is great with every cut. Don't over-cook it or it gets tough.

Good luck in the drawing and on your hunt. Let's hope you get it done this year.

Zeke

I have only eaten one Shiras moose, and my experience mirrors most others. Mine had a very mild beef like taste, but most steaks/roasts were tough. If I diced it up it was excellent.
I got a full 300 lbs of meat out of mine and if I was lucky enough to draw another tag I'd look at a good portion of it going into burger.

I've had bull and cow shiras, along side elk for the added bonus of answering this very question. Both were good eating, but elk had the edge in that test...

Shiras are definitely a little different than AK or Canada moose, and can be tougher. The taste is still great and rivals, or bests elk. I have taken three here in Idaho and Wyoming. I usually take one or two people every year so have been on about 20 moose kills. Take care of them and treat properly and they are good. My father in laws was a 32" three yr old, and was so tough we had to crock pot the ground burger. Every one is unique!!!

It really depends where their living and what there eating, my wife harvested a Moose 2 years ago and my daughter harvested a moose last year, both dam good eating, a heck of a lot better than some nasty old sheep, Mt. Goat,Bull Elk, rutting Mule Deer Buck. The only thing better is a yearling Cow Elk, or Sitka Blcktail from Kodak Island. This really depends on you are you after a big old Bull or are you after a yearling or young Bull. The women in my house take care of the meat, I just help them when I can. Good luck and I hope you draw.
1B09C46A-AFEC-4A4B-9E9A-C579AEA0B738.jpeg
94C19761-39A3-4033-AEB3-FFD58071CC31.jpeg

Oryx IS really good. Can’t say better. Too many years between. Had a game comparison Bbq a couple years ago. 7 different samples. (no moose) Most preferred the oryx.
Looking forward to trying Axis

Since this has morph'd into what's best, Dall sheep over a willow fire is the best meat in the whole world, period. (might be based on proximity)

I hope we have a few mm'ers who draw some sweet tags here shortly.

Zeke

It really depends where their living and what there eating, my wife harvested a Moose 2 years ago and my daughter harvested a moose last year, both dam good eating, a heck of a lot better than some nasty old sheep, Mt. Goat,Bull Elk, rutting Mule Deer Buck. The only thing better is a yearling Cow Elk, or Sitka Blcktail from Kodak Island. This really depends on you are you after a big old Bull or are you after a yearling or young Bull. The women in my house take care of the meat, I just help them when I can. Good luck and I hope you draw.View attachment 75227View attachment 75228
Congrats! You’re a lucky man!

Shiras - More mild than beef. My cornhusker wife will even eat it, she comes from a world where it is either grass feed beef or some other nasty flavor. Enjoy if you get the opportunity.

It really depends where their living and what there eating, my wife harvested a Moose 2 years ago and my daughter harvested a moose last year, both dam good eating, a heck of a lot better than some nasty old sheep, Mt. Goat,Bull Elk, rutting Mule Deer Buck. The only thing better is a yearling Cow Elk, or Sitka Blcktail from Kodak Island. This really depends on you are you after a big old Bull or are you after a yearling or young Bull. The women in my house take care of the meat, I just help them when I can. Good luck and I hope you draw.View attachment 75227View attachment 75228
Is that first moose a shiras? If yes that is a monster! Congrat's!

I loved my orynx. I have heard sitka blacktail is good, and mnt lion.

A cow elk I took in December and my cow bison were some of the best meat I have ever had.

My 12 year old Idaho shiras was extremely tough...toughest I've had. Liked the flavor and I was able to enjoy the loins after all day in the crock pot.

Hoping to fill my Wyoming moose tag and enjoy a freezer full. You all have me pretty excited for the taste. Been 8-10 years since I had moose meat.
Congrats on the tag rmanwill! It should be an epic fall for you. Just have plenty of meat packers on board!

Hoping to fill my Wyoming moose tag and enjoy a freezer full. You all have me pretty excited for the taste. Been 8-10 years since I had moose meat.
Congrats on your tag and good luck. I highly recommend sawing out the ribs and cooking them in a crock pot, then sear them on the grill with bbq sauce. I've done this off of a few Colorado moose and it's really good.

Pretty much all game meat has the same "taste" to me just varying tenderness is all I see change

Only three Shiras to compare. One from Wyoming and two from Washington. Two were young bulls and the other was 8 years old. They were all tough, but tasted pretty good. I ended up making a lot of pepperoni. Not a bad problem to have. It went excellent with a beer!

How is compared to elk? I am not hearing good things. My AK moose was tough but great eating. Shiras moose from WY if that matters.
I'll go out on a limb and say that if you don't like your Shiras meat, I'll drive up and take it off your hands. The Shiras I took in Montana is outstanding and is way better than elk and axis deer. I'll be going to New Mexico in October t chase gemsbok and I've always heard it great eating, too.
Best of luck on your Shiras hunt and don't forget to send me an invite when you grill up some moose backstrap!

Harvested a Shiras bull and two cows with archery tackle, All quick kills. All delicious.

Hoping for an ID Bull, Colo Bull and Colo Cow tags this year. LOL, aren't we all!

songdog, NM Gemsbock is unreal. Fantastic food!

I'll go out on a limb and say that if you don't like your Shiras meat, I'll drive up and take it off your hands. The Shiras I took in Montana is outstanding and is way better than elk and axis deer. I'll be going to New Mexico in October t chase gemsbok and I've always heard it great eating, too.
Best of luck on your Shiras hunt and don't forget to send me an invite when you grill up some moose backstrap!
oryx (gemsbuck) is AMAZGING. Tough but tasted great!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom