Shooter?

He's got some big back forks. I didn't add anything up, but with the 30 second look, I'd sure call him better than others in the thread. Looks better than 180 to me.

I’m seeing low 170’s, how about 172. No eye guards definitely hurts. Pushing 180 if he had 6” inches of guards. Nice buck.

There is official and non-official scoring. I'd venture a guess that the majority of guys would use outside spread to come up with score? According to B&C, the inside spread of the main beam is the official measurement. It looks like there may be an additional 8 or so inches added to this bucks score if the outside vs inside spread of the main beam is used.

Where this buck really lacks is inside spread of the main beam. If you look close spread on this buck is well inside the ears. Only 12% of the total score is spread.

Another place this buck is very weak is main beam length (26% of a bucks total score). The buck also lacks eye-guards which also a weakness (2% of score).

This buck has fair to good back forks and G4's which is approximately 42% of total score. The buck is weak in 40% of his score and fair to good in 42% of his measurements. Mass is around 18% of a bucks total score. This buck has decent mass.

Obviously this buck is in velvet which is another consideration.

When I field judge a buck I look at what measurements that make up a 170 vs 180 vs 190 buck. If a buck lacks in one measurement he has to make up for it in another.

Obviously "official score" isn't everything. In most Wyo units this buck would likely be considered above par and a lot of guys would have a tough time passing him up.

I guess it comes down to which measurement you use....official or other?

His score is just enough, for me to put on my wall and bust out the tape, and see how close my guess is..... 175-180. Just shy of 26"wide

Great buck. In most situations, I don't think I could pass him up. At first glance I was thinking he was a 180"+ buck but after adding up his score, his main beams really hurt his score. I'll guess 173" gross and 25" outside spread.

I think his mains are a little longer than they appear but still Maybe only 21-22. I think 180-185 would be a reasonable assessment. Width, 25 outside, beam width 20. 83 and 79 + 20. 182 is how my math shakes out.

There is official and non-official scoring. I'd venture a guess that the majority of guys would use outside spread to come up with score? According to B&C, the inside spread of the main beam is the official measurement. It looks like there may be an additional 8 or so inches added to this bucks score if the outside vs inside spread of the main beam is used.

Where this buck really lacks is inside spread of the main beam. If you look close spread on this buck is well inside the ears. Only 12% of the total score is spread.

Another place this buck is very weak is main beam length (26% of a bucks total score). The buck also lacks eye-guards which also a weakness (2% of score).

This buck has fair to good back forks and G4's which is approximately 42% of total score. The buck is weak in 40% of his score and fair to good in 42% of his measurements. Mass is around 18% of a bucks total score. This buck has decent mass.

Obviously this buck is in velvet which is another consideration.

When I field judge a buck I look at what measurements that make up a 170 vs 180 vs 190 buck. If a buck lacks in one measurement he has to make up for it in another.

Obviously "official score" isn't everything. In most Wyo units this buck would likely be considered above par and a lot of guys would have a tough time passing him up.

I guess it comes down to which measurement you use....official or other?

Jims, I’m trying hard to be nice but anybody who has ground checked and put an actual tape on a few bucks would never use the outside spread and incorporate it into a B and C score. People would give you the same look as Being a man entering a woman’s restroom in Cabelas.

Liecabucks, I guess I'm a little confused with your post. The first thing I notice when most guys put a tape on a muley buck is measure the widest spread of a rack. Most don't even know there is such thing as the inside spread of the main beam....which is often a chunk less in score!

Liecabucks, I guess I'm a little confused with your post. The first thing I notice when most guys put a tape on a muley buck is measure the widest spread of a rack. Most don't even know there is such thing as the inside spread of the main beam....which is often a chunk less in score!
I wonder how many guys measure the inside spread between the G-4s?
I've seen guys measure an elks inside spread by measuring between it's G-3s, which for elk the G-3 usually flares out a lot more than the true main beam. It does make me wonder if guys mess this up too on deer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom