Shooter?

Skylinehunter

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-18 AT 02:12PM (MST)[p]

You've waited 18 years to draw a LE elk tag. Are you shooting or looking for a better bull? What do you think he would score? I think 330-340.

I'd have a hard time passing him up with my Manti muzzy tag but that may be because I only waited 6 years to draw it. I'm a noob at field scoring but I'd agree with your guess, 330ish.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-18 AT 03:47PM (MST)[p]Okay just for fun how about I give you 3 units. Hypothetically for each one? Oh and early rifle vs archery.
Wasatch
Nebo
Dutton

He is right there. Pass and you may regret it. Shoot and see something bigger, take some photos. You still have a great bull.

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-18
>AT 03:47?PM (MST)

>
>Okay just for fun how about
>I give you 3 units.
>Hypothetically for each one? Oh
>and early rifle vs archery.
>
>Wasatch
>Nebo
>Dutton

Wasatch-yes on both seasons
Nebo-yes on both seasons
Dutton-yes on archery, probably on rifle unless I had been seeing better

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-18 AT 06:16PM (MST)[p]Nice video. I'll leave the score to others but presume the video is from last year considering he is hard horned - should be a great bull this year if so. If he excites you then score doesn't matter. Have fun if you have a tag in your pocket.

BTW - your moniker suggests the bull is not in any of the 3 hypothetical units!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-18 AT 07:18PM (MST)[p]Nice bull. I think he might go a hair north of 340.
On those 3 units? Yes, yes and yes.

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-18
>AT 06:16?PM (MST)

>
>Nice video. I'll leave the
>score to others but presume
>the video is from last
>year considering he is hard
>horned - should be a
>great bull this year if
>so. If he excites
>you then score doesn't matter.
> Have fun if you
>have a tag in your
>pocket.
>
>BTW - your moniker suggests the
>bull is not in any
>of the 3 hypothetical units!
>

You are correct I found him last year, last week of the archery hunt. I didn't have a tag and I don't have one this year either. I just like finding elk! As to the moniker I can see how that would lead you that way. I hadn't even thought of that. Skyline has no bearing to wear I hunt. I've never even hunted that unit. This is a wasatch bull and I should draw the tag for archery next year. Hope he is still around but not likely he will make it through on that unit!

Funny about 15 years ago I won a limited entry elk tag and a very good friend drew the same tag, we would see photos like this one and say we would pass saying no way we would shoot a bull like this but when we got on the mountain on the hunt everything changed we had to talk each other out of bulls but after 10 days we never seen a great bull.... lol I can say the first bull we seen on that hunt we both giggled and passed saying we was not shooting nothing under 350, wish I would have shot that first bull...

>Funny about 15 years ago I
>won a limited entry elk
>tag and a very good
>friend drew the same tag,
>we would see photos like
>this one and say we
>would pass saying no way
>we would shoot a bull
>like this but when we
>got on the mountain on
>the hunt everything changed we
>had to talk each other
>out of bulls but after
>10 days we never seen
>a great bull.... lol I
>can say the first bull
>we seen on that hunt
>we both giggled and passed
>saying we was not shooting
>nothing under 350, wish I
>would have shot that first
>bull...

Did you end up filling the tags? Or settling for something much smaller?

I would guess this bull is in the 340" range. I would be happy with him but if I had seen significantly bigger bulls while scouting, I would have to pass.

I am thinking he is closer to 320. He doesn't have much "wow" factor to me, and isn't what I'd be looking for on my LE tag. I would also shoot him before I ate tag soup though.

last year bull I think was right at the 340 mark, should be bigger this year.
Hope you can see him again this fall and get more video so we can see how much bigger he got...??..

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>last year bull I think was
>right at the 340 mark,
>should be bigger this year.
>
>Hope you can see him again
>this fall and get more
>video so we can see
>how much bigger he got...??..
>
>
>"I have found if you go
>the extra mile it's Never
>crowded".
>>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I was thinking the first bull was in the 330-340 category as well, the second bull is much smaller.

Simple fact of the matter, that first bull is above average of what now comes off the Wasatch! Decent bull for sure.

Are there bigger, absolutely, and many of them.

I have a scewed vision though. I have personally had the Wasatch tag 2 times, once at the end of the peak and another a few years into the decline. Both are largerthan that bull, but I think I would still pull the trigger unless I had been seeing multiple bulls that were larger.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-18 AT 04:01PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-18 AT 03:59?PM (MST)

That first is a good looking bull for sure, no where near the 340" mark fellas. 310"320 " on his best day. I'd be passing ,but still a beautiful bull . Second bull is lucky to hit 300". Pretty sight!

18 years for a tag... I would hunt as hard as I could to find something bigger than him. If you are someone who loves elk meat and does not want to go home empty handed then, he would do just fine on the last day of the hunt.

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-18
>AT 04:01?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-18
>AT 03:59?PM (MST)

>
>That first is a good looking
>bull for sure, no where
>near the 340" mark fellas.
>310"320 " on his best
>day. I'd be passing ,but
>still a beautiful bull .
>Second bull is lucky to
>hit 300". Pretty sight!

+1

I appreciate all the responses. It enjoy the discussion and seeing other peoples thoughts. I will see if I can turn the first bull up again this year and he won't have suffered to much due to lack of feed and water. Thank you all!

First bull I'd kill on any of the units with an archery tag, no question. Those tags are hard enough to fill you don't need to make it more difficult quibbling over 15-20 inched gross. I think 330 is a bit high, but he's a good looking bull nonetheless. On a rifle hunt I would be less inclined, but would take into account what other bulls I've seen leading up to that point.

Second bull I'm probably passing. Looks like a young bull in the 300 inch range to me. But if I haven't seen better, I may take him in the heat of the moment too.

The first bull is a 330 bull at best. The second is a 290 bull at best.

This year they could be 370 and 345 easy. I thin this year is going to be one of the best since 2007.

We could see more 400's this year than any in the last 7 to 10 years !!!

This hot and dry has been a boon for horn growth, mark my words :)

Cheers,
Pete

second bull might hit 300" but not likely.
First bull 310-315" if you stretch the tape or use Beavers mass measurements

))))----------->

>second bull might hit 300" but
>not likely.
>First bull 310-315" if you stretch
>the tape or use Beavers
>mass measurements
>
> ))))----------->

Correct...according to me too.
Zeke
#livelikezac

I live in the Wasatch. I hike and scout multiple times weekly all year in these mountains and have all my life. (I am well north of 50)

They are very difficult to get to in most all cases, but I assure you beyond any doubt that there are far bigger bulls there, more than a few.

Saw two huge hard horned 6 points the day I killed my archery buck about a week ago. Very nice bulls indeed. Now if I could just draw a damn tag...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom