Shooting arts practice posters

Issi07

Hey guys, just wondering if anybody has ever come across a set of western big game posters called the shooting arts practice posters. The company that made them was based out of Littleton, Colorado back in the 1980's but I don't think they exist anymore. The posters were images of 4 mule deer, or elk or what ever western game animal, standing in different poses, broadside, facing, quartering left, etc. And they had a chart below them telling you how far to stand away and look at the animals trough a bow site, scope, etc, and it would equal a real world image of the animal at 50 yards, 100, 150 and so on, based on your weapon and how far back you were.

Really cool posters, but very hard to find now days. I'll include a photo of the mule deer series. If anybody knows where to find these things or has any knowledge of them I'd love to hear about it.

66066sl500.jpg

I remember those posters.

Have you tried a google image search to see if they are still around?

Yeah I sure have bud, multiple times lol. It's like Google doesn't have a clue about em. I only seen them sell on eBay once, the mule deer one I posted a pic of. Sometimes I wondered if a store somewhere sold them, but never had any luck finding that

They were done by Shooting Arts, Limited, in Littleton, Co. That is where I bought mine years ago (1988). I have also tried to find them on the net but with no luck. Mine is the mule deer poster but I don't know if they did others.

Very cool- love older artistry. Like vintage stamps.

Gotta laugh though- the view from straight above would be useful for drone and helicopter hunters :)

Hey guys, just wondering if anybody has ever come across a set of western big game posters called the shooting arts practice posters. The company that made them was based out of Littleton, Colorado back in the 1980's but I don't think they exist anymore. The posters were images of 4 mule deer, or elk or what ever western game animal, standing in different poses, broadside, facing, quartering left, etc. And they had a chart below them telling you how far to stand away and look at the animals trough a bow site, scope, etc, and it would equal a real world image of the animal at 50 yards, 100, 150 and so on, based on your weapon and how far back you were.

Really cool posters, but very hard to find now days. I'll include a photo of the mule deer series. If anybody knows where to find these things or has any knowledge of them I'd love to hear about it.
Interesting. Is there any chance you could repost that. Maybe take some pictures of it in smaller sections and a little closer so the text can be seen more clearly. I have a neighbor that does excellent pencil art. In as much as this may have been out of print for sometime, he may be interested in design one like it an offering to sell them online. The new marketing tool for all things retail…… ?

I think it’s a great concept for new hunters.

I’ll try to find the original artist if I can and see if they have a copy right. Just reproducing the original would be the best plan.

They were done by Shooting Arts, Limited, in Littleton, Co. That is where I bought mine years ago (1988). I have also tried to find them on the net but with no luck. Mine is the mule deer poster but I don't know if they did others.
Thanks pine tree, do you still have any original prints you’d be willing to take a high resolution copy of and send me?

Read my idea in post #7 above. what do you think about doing that?

Oops. Sorry guys. I didn’t do my homework, again. That’s a five year old thread. Not likely to get a response on my questions.

Hey fellas, so I got to looking for these posters again yesterday, and couldn't find them but I remembered this thread I had made years ago, and checked up on it lol. I have the mule deer, elk, pronghorn, and black tailed deer series of these posters, but I'm thinking there has to be more game animals in them out there somewhere.

As a vintage sportsman thing, these things are extremely cool. I will take some closer up photos of them, and post them here as well. Again, if anybody has any info on them, or knows where to find some of them I would be greatly interested.

Here is a better photo of the Mule Deer series for now

20230226_195733.jpg

Hey fellas, so I got to looking for these posters again yesterday, and couldn't find them but I remembered this thread I had made years ago, and checked up on it lol. I have the mule deer, elk, pronghorn, and black tailed deer series of these posters, but I'm thinking there has to be more game animals in them out there somewhere.

As a vintage sportsman thing, these things are extremely cool. I will take some closer up photos of them, and post them here as well. Again, if anybody has any info on them, or knows where to find some of them I would be greatly interested.

View attachment 104254
Thanks for the better image, Issi.

I did some internet searching a month ago and couldn’t find anything or anyone that knew where to find the artist or a supplier.

It’s a good product…… for a small market.

I think you should get an extra high resolution scan made of it. High enough so the small print text is clear. I think you could sell a few images a year to young/new hunters. Mostly it’s just too valuable to the hunting community to allow it to melt into the past. I believe the are series is too much value to just let it slip away.

I can see where the original paper product may not have survived based on the price vs the cost to produce, it may not had many buyers, but now that it can be marketed electronically, I can see a new potential. Every young hunter would be thrilled to get a set of these in their Christmas stocking or an extra little birthday gift.

If you can sent a copy over the internet, I’d personally buy a high res image set from you…… I’m guessing $10 per image would be a fair price, if you’re interested, so I can archive it for my grandchildren.

I’d pay more to get a CD copy if you can’t send a high res.copy online.

Hey 2Lumpy,

I'll definitely see what I can do for a high resolution image for you. I agree that these posters are too valuable to just let die.. They have intrigued me since I was a little kid and first saw them. I wish there was a place that sold them and was accessible, the few I have found were on ebay, and they were few and far between

View attachment 104254
I was digging around looking for this same type of poster in my shop. I taught hunter safety for nearly 30 years and the Whitetail Deer Series was one of the favorites. I'll see what I can do about taking a photo of it and posting same.

102_0029.JPG

I was digging around looking for this same type of poster in my shop. I taught hunter safety for nearly 30 years and the Whitetail Deer Series was one of the favorites. I'll see what I can do about taking a photo of it and posting same.

View attachment 114963
Ah man.. I knew there had to be a whitetail one out there somewhere! That is a rare one, but they all are now days I've found

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom