Shooting Sticks--Bipod vs Tripod

Mallards_Only

Been seriously considering purchasing some adjustable shooting sticks. I've tried the bipods that attach to the rifle stock but just didn't like the added weight. Not sure whether to go with bipod or tripod though. Are the bipods steady enough to make longer shots? Any input on the Bog Pods?

+1 for the SnipePod.

I think it is the best of both worlds: it is not quite as steady as the Harris bipods, but it is much lighter weight. In addition, it stays off your rifle (folded up in a nice little pouch) until you need it, and then it attaches securely to your rifle via their small adapter.

The problem with shooting sticks is that you must always hold on to them in your other hand during the stalk and after the shot. With the SnipePod, you don't have to worry about either scenario.

And did I mention they're light weight? The 30" SnipePod designed for an average man to shoot from a sitting position weighs just 6 ounces, and the adapter weighs less than 110 grains, about the weight of a .243 bullet!

As for longrange shooting, I think it depends on "how long is long," but I can use the SnipePod to shoot an animal as far as I feel comfortable and ethical doing it.

The Outdoorsmans carries the 30" model or check them out online at www.snipepod.com.

Good luck!

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

I checked those out. They look like they'd be noisy. Any problems spooking game when you deploy them? Also, they're not really adjustable--are they? i.e. I couldn't use them for sitting, kneeling, or standing depending on the terrain.

Noise: They are made from Easton tent poles so if you just flip them open, they can be noisy, but if you carefully unfold them and let each section slip into the other, they are no noisier that any of your other equipment.

Adjustability: If you just get the sitting model, they can be used sitting or kneeling by changing how far apart you spread the legs. I have also shot prone by not unfolding the legs, but risked filling the legs with mud, dirt, snow, etc. I have not used the standing model, but I would imagine you would face the same problems. They are definitely not as adjustable as something like the Primos Trigger Stick.

There are pros and cons with everything, so I always suggest you figure out what is most important to you and buy the equipment that satisfies your needs the best. For me, it's the SnipePod. For you it might be something else!

Hope that helps a little... good luck!

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

+1 for the Snipepods... They are awesome...

CSO

It's all about the good times...

+2 on snipod, the only problem I'v had is that one time the velcro slipped down in the slot by the bungee so I had to cut it off.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom