Shooting the new bullets

Idahoron

Very Active Member
I shot the new bullets I made today in my new to me TC Renegade with Lee Shavers med range sights.

S68ByV4.jpg

This first group was 80 gr Pyrodex P with over powder wad.
The bullet was wrapped with tracing paper and sized to .446 the lead hardness was 30-1 or 9 BHN on all the bullets shot today.
I excluded the cold clean shot in the measurement. It measures 1.80" at 100 yards.
Since this rifle is not a "hunting rifle" or a "hunting bullet" I excluded the cold clean shot. I have shot several groups with other bullets and the cold clean shot is always 3" right. I'm not going to worry about it.

WRCVT89.jpg

hsvMFSy.jpg

This group was the exact same load. The difference was I used 25% cotton paper with this group. It was sized to .446 It was a failure. I have had great luck with this paper but in this application it just didn't work.

8hxBSAf.jpg

I had one more group I shot. It was exactly the same with tracing paper. That group was NO sizing.
That group was a absolute failure. Over 10" and I didn't even take a picture or actually measure it.

The lead hardness was 30-1 or AKA 9 BHN. The tracing paper, and sizing to .446 was the ticket with this load. After I got home I wished I would have shot at 300 yards to make sure it was stabilized. My guess is since it is shorter and lighter than my 408 gr RCBS 11mm bullet that it should be stabilized.
At 1.8" at 100 this is probably the load I will shoot at 1/2 mile. I am very happy with this load and the set up of the rifle.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom