Shooting Under Pressure/Quick Shots

Vitalwave

I am interested in practice techniques for shooting bows under pressure or when a quick shot is needed. What are the best ways you have found to emulate the feeling of drawing back your bow on a large bull elk or monster buck? Does shooting in tournaments help? How do you get creative in practicing out of the box shots? What about quick shots when an animal doesn't give you much time?

I am looking to become a better bow hunter this year.
Happy New Years Everyone!

i face away from the target turn around and fire as quick as possible. it’s nice to have another person who can change the target location

I’ve been archery hunting a long time. I honestly believe the best thing you can do is shoot year round snd as much you can so you get to the point that shooting is instinctual. You don’t want to be thinking about a shot. I practice this way too. I don’t draw, hold forever trying to settle a pin then concentrate on my release. A shot should be one smooth fast motion with little to no time to think about it. Practice this way and when a fast shot comes up on a bull or buck instinct will just take over.

I’ve been archery hunting a long time. I honestly believe the best thing you can do is shoot year round snd as much you can so you get to the point that shooting is instinctual. You don’t want to be thinking about a shot. I practice this way too. I don’t draw, hold forever trying to settle a pin then concentrate on my release. A shot should be one smooth fast motion with little to no time to think about it. Practice this way and when a fast shot comes up on a bull or buck instinct will just take over.
Makes perfect sense.

I think this is great advice. Muscle memory.

I think this is great advice. Muscle memory.
Muscle memory, sight picture consistency and don’t discredit range estimation. It takes a lot of shooting but if you can get all this to just come natural it will make a difference when it counts. Bull I killed this year was around 50 yards, window through some brush in front of me maybe a foot wide and no time to range. Double lunged him and frankly I don’t even remember releasing.

And if your not already make sure your shooting with both eyes open

Muscle memory, sight picture consistency and don’t discredit range estimation. It takes a lot of shooting but if you can get all this to just come natural it will make a difference when it counts. Bull I killed this year was around 50 yards, window through some brush in front of me maybe a foot wide and no time to range. Double lunged him and frankly I don’t even remember releasing.

And if your not already make sure your shooting with both eyes open
Thats a neat story on your bull. Sounds like you shot him on auto pilot if you cant remember the shot. Thats really cool. Must have put in a lot of range hours. Things happen quick in the woods.

I shot a bull last September with my bow from 15 yards away. He came in hot and was on a swift jog. He wouldn't stop for me so I had shoot him on the move. Luckily he was really close or I don't think I would have hit him. I noticed it was a bull when I first saw him coming but after that all I looked at was his shoulder/vitals. I kind of know what you mean when instinct kicks in and all I could focus on was trying to get an arrow in him. I think that was a difference maker for me in my hunting experiences is when I started focusing on the shot rather than worrying about the horns.

Competitive archery will help develop your mental game, which is what it all boils down to when the pressure is on. Anyone can draw a bow and make a good shot. What makes an archer go from good to great, is developing a solid mental game. And I’m not just talking a one time deal on a weekend, once a year. Get really involved in it. It’ll pay off in the long run

Competitive archery will help develop your mental game, which is what it all boils down to when the pressure is on. Anyone can draw a bow and make a good shot. What makes an archer go from good to great, is developing a solid mental game. And I’m not just talking a one time deal on a weekend, once a year. Get really involved in it. It’ll pay off in the long run
I have wondered about getting into competitive archery. I think you are right. I bet it would help a ton with the mental aspect of it. I think the way you train for stressful/pressure situations is by forcing yourself into pressure situations. Ill have to look into that some more. I wonder if there is anything going on at the new Weber County Shooting facility?

I’m fairly new to archery, but jumped in the deep end. So far I’m 2/2 on OTC elk tags, but I agree with the above posts. Shoot a lot. 3d targets if possible. Both my elk shots have happened really fast. First one I was able to range, second one I was not. Just drew guesstimated the range and shot. Bottom line is shoot a lot and when the opportunity presents itself you will connect!

I have wondered about getting into competitive archery. I think you are right. I bet it would help a ton with the mental aspect of it. I think the way you train for stressful/pressure situations is by forcing yourself into pressure situations. Ill have to look into that some more. I wonder if there is anything going on at the new Weber County Shooting facility?
Plenty going on at the Weber County Archery complex. Come on in and get involved.

This! I shoot year round, Indoor 3 Spot/5 Spot, and 3D. We also practice longer distances because of where we hunt so if a longer shot is needed i am totally comfortable and confident in my ability. When i shot my bull this year, i had enough time to range him. Had a few branches sticking up i had to avoid but ill tell ya, when i drew everything was smooth, i never had to tell myself to anchor, to check my bubble, nothing. Even my partner said as soon as i drew back it was all one steady movement till the shot went off. Double lung as well at 70 yards.

This! I shoot year round, Indoor 3 Spot/5 Spot, and 3D. We also practice longer distances because of where we hunt so if a longer shot is needed i am totally comfortable and confident in my ability. When i shot my bull this year, i had enough time to range him. Had a few branches sticking up i had to avoid but ill tell ya, when i drew everything was smooth, i never had to tell myself to anchor, to check my bubble, nothing. Even my partner said as soon as i drew back it was all one steady movement till the shot went off. Double lung as well at 70 yards.
Thanks a lot for sharing! Sounds like the key is exposure and repetition. How often are you practicing with your broad heads installed? Are you shooting most of the year field point and then switch to shooting broad heads a month or two away from hunting season?

Thanks a lot for sharing! Sounds like the key is exposure and repetition. How often are you practicing with your broad heads installed? Are you shooting most of the year field point and then switch to shooting broad heads a month or two away from hunting season?
Yea, our club does a 3D summer league that ends first part of July, after that last shoot I swap to broadheads and shoot those the couple months prior to elk season.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom