Short magnums

jkhunterid

Great site with a lot of good input noticed while I was just visiting. Thought I'd better register. I'm finally going to retire my old 7mm Rem mag. I was wondering what the recoil is like on the new 270 and 7mm WSM compared to 7mm rem mag and 270 win. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

my little brother has a 270 wsm and i swear it kicks just as hard as my 7mm rem mag and 264 win mag.

Winchester claims the recoil is less, but I would say the 7MM and 300 WSM are close to the same. I have no idea about the 270 WSM i haven't shot one yet!

I have a 300 WSM and it don't kick any harder than a 270 or 30-06. I am selling it due to maximizing my my gun selection in the house but i have no complaints about it. I have been impressed with it. No complaints here.

mouse.gif

LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-04 AT 05:17PM (MST)[p]I bought a 270WSM in Feb and trudged through knee deep snow at the shooting range just to test it out. Right of the box I drilled a milk jug full of water at 150 yards and shot once again at another target.

2 shots is all I took and I was sore the next day, my 30-06 with a box and a half didn't do that. I have since put a Sims recoil pad on it but have not had a chance to test it out yet.

I bought a new Tikka lightweight in 270 WSM a few months ago and I have yet to shoot it,and it's killing me!

Welcome to MM.

I think that there must be a lot of little girls on this site if you think that the short mags kick to hard. I own a 300 wsm and have had it for a couple of years. It does not kick much more than a 30-06. If that is too much for you I would suggest a .22 caliber.

Keep Rockin!!!

A buddy of mine bought both the 270 WSM and the 300 WSM and he claims the 270 WSM kicks a hell of a lot harder than the 300 WSM. Go figure.......

i think 2pointer has it right. sounds like lotsa girls. if you wanna shoot faster, it's real simple. more powder. more powder means more recoil. deal with it. these "short magnums" (man if that ain't an oxymoron, i don't know what is) take a little less powder than a "long magnum" to do a little better than the traditional old rounds like the '06 and .270. i guess in some cases they are pretty neat in their performance. my kid has a tikka in the 270 wsm. seems to be a real shooter, but it barks pretty hard too. probably less than a 270 weatherby, but a lot more than my old model 70 .270. if you're looking for fast, get used to recoil. it's simple physics.

I didn't read wear anyone was being a woman about, how short mags compare to the old mags recoil.
stir,stir, stir the pot someones bound to give you guys an arguement.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom