Shot follow up and young hunter ethics.

mmwb

Very Active Member
My son?s first hunt was yesterday. He?s been on a lot with me, but it was the first with a big game tag in his pocket. We heard an ATV moving through an opening a short distance through some timber from a sage opening we were in. It stopped, a shot rang out, and after a short moment, it drove off. After a few minutes a nice little three point comes out of the timber, limping heavily through the opening and into the timber on the other side. My son, dealing with a first experience with buck fever, wasn?t able to but the deal together to kill the buck.

Long story short, before I could say anything, my son decided we had to make finding that deer the priority. He didn't want to hunt anything else knowing a wounded deer was in the area. As dry as it has been, there wasn?t much in the way of tracks. He was moving slow enough in the timber to not turn over any duff. It took us 30 minutes or so of sweeping to find the first sign of blood. There was a bit of bone as well. We spent about two hours covering the next 400 yards or so. His trail had been consistent until that point and then took a turn uphill. I was too focused on the trail or I would have caught the significance of that move. We blew him out of his bed a few moments later. I'd wondered at him taking a turn uphill when that hurt, but just didn't think through that he was seeking to bed. Naturally he would want to bed up hill of his back trail by that time of day to scent any thing following him. It was a large mistake on my part. If I'd been thinking, one of us could?ve moved 20 or 30 yards up hill and maybe have pulled off catching him in his bed for a shot. It was thick stuff, but sometimes if one gets down low to the ground and glasses, he can pick up a part of the deer.

We never picked up his trail again. It put a damper on the rest of the day. He left several pieces of leg bone on that trail as well as a bit of flesh. I've seen a couple of three legged deer over the years, but always down in farm country. Odds are stacked for the little buck, this late in the year, needing energy to heal, put on winter weight, and be able to migrate to winter ground...

I suppose who ever shot him may have thought it was a clean miss. Whether a 20 yard shot or a 800 yard shot: follow through! Mark where the animal was, go there and scour the area for track, blood, hair, etc... Make sure you know he is not hit before moving on. I don't know that it would have made a difference in this buck?s case, but one never knows. My error in not thinking through the significance of his turning up hill to bed was inexcusable as well. I am grateful for a young man who was willing to spend most of opening morning, mostly on hands and knees, trying to do right for this one particular young buck. It is kind of how that kid rolls. Still need to get him his deer.

Good story. I aside from the mouth breathing atv hunter who shot a deer and didn't bother to follow up. Your son sounds a like class act though. It's good to have hunters like him afield.

Don't beat yourself up over someone else's unethical act.Kudos to your son(and you for teaching him good ethics)for his unselfish thinking.

Too bad the ATV'er doesn't have any ethics.

Don't break your arm trying to pat yourself on the back. Yes, it was the right thing to try and track down a wounded buck if you thought the shooter was not following it. This post smacks of someone trying to pump up his kid with no real issue at hand. GO KILL A DEER. It is not that big a deal! Deer are wounded all the time. It is not what any of us want, but it happens. Have you ever seen a deer wounded in the wild? They don't last long. You make accusations about the shooter but there is always another side to the story. Don't taint your son with your view of this event. Go create your OWN season for your son and don't worry about this other stuff.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-21-12 AT 05:45AM (MST)[p]I think this thread has value and I'm glad his son wanted to end the suffering of a wounded deer. Don't see the value in bruins post and I don't agree with his position. He sounds defensive. As a hunter and a veterinarian, I would suspect that deer will live a long time unless a major artery was severed and he bleeds out.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

He and I both moved on that day. It is a big deal, that is why we--most hunters in general I expect--make the effort. We are all fallible and I figure the shooter thought is was a clean miss, but the result for the deer remains grim, assuming it is still alive. The only accusation I made was that the shooter didn't follow up on the shot--based on the amount of time between the shot and the restart and drive off of the ATV. If you, Bruin4l, look past your own assumptions you may note there were things in that post that might be helpful to others at some time.

My son's character stands on its own, regardless of anything I may or may not say in reference to him.

Good job with your son there......it's important for us older men to help the younger generation grow up to be men of honor.

"Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!"

Your teaching your boy right. Its every hunters responsibility to check after the shot to make sure he/she did not hit the animal

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom