Shotgun slugs for elk

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I might be hunting cow elk this winter with a shotgun. What are some good slug options for elk? 3" mag, saboted and solid not meant to expand.

Depends on your gun. I have a Savage 20 gauge model 220 that shoots the Remington 2 3/4" AccuTip 260 grain slug best. Get your slug gun then start testing with some different slugs.

For the most part any sabot slugs have shot well through my 1187 with rifles barrel. Trouble is narrowing down slugs that have sabots and are not meant to expand. A vast majority of slug hunting is for deer and they are small and slugs are designed to expand, split etc. Works great for deer but I want the opposite for elk.

The remington accutip is designed to rapidly expand this is exactly what I do not want.

Basically I am having a very hard time finding ammo that is meant to penetrate deep and not expand. For example online at Cabelas there are no slug that meet my 2 criteria.

What are you hunting, and where? Distances you are looking at shooting? I shoot Hornady 12ga 2 3/4" 300 grain SST slugs exclusively. My Rem 870 will shoot them inside 2" groups all day long, with a Hastings barrel and Leupold scope. I load 5, and is really accurate at all ranges. Shoot it in a couple of our short-range units here in Idaho. The 300 gr SST at 2000 fps is devastating. I have killed over a dozen whitetail and antelope, plus two cow elk with it. Have yet to recover any slugs.

If you are set on even more than that, find some of the old Winchester Partition Gold slugs. They were 385 grain partitions, at 1825 fps and really pack a wallop. They shoot good in my partners Benelli SBE, but only about 4" groups in mine.

Lightfields are great but for elk would be looking at a copper slug- I believe federal and Winchester are both making them.

I would get a quality sabot-ed load. Ideally you want a bullet that expanded but retains its mass (not a non-expanding solid)

Personally I would shot hornady’s sabot-ed SST which will be similar to what a lot of muzzleloader hunters are using for elk. It’s a little more fragile but not to the point that penetration will become an issue at ethical ranges.

TTT I am hunting cow elk in WY. I will likely limit my shots to 150 yards max, preferably less then 100. I am leaning towards the SST - can anyone else comment on if they will have to much expansion? Manufacturer says rapid expansion which concerns me. Also it is proving difficult to find it in stock I was hoping to get form Cabelas.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom