Should I get Travel Health Insurance for South Africa?

mano_a_mano

Anyone recommend taking out travel health insurance for South Africa? Did you use it or wish you had bought it? Any recommended suppliers?

The first trip I got the Med-Jet .
After I got comfortable I didn’t do it again.
If something bad happens to you the people you are hunting with will get you out and out of the bush. I can see you maybe needing them to get you out of the country.South Africa actually has everything you need in a lot of the city’s.
How old are you and how’s your health?Lol

I have done 7 trips so far and never bought any. I am thinking about it this year since going to moz and zim. The trips I do to SA and namibia i still would not get it. At 53 years old I feel still ok about it but as I get older I may look in to it more even for SA just to be safe

I always get it, usually Ripcord. I haven’t hunted in South Africa since 2009, but if I ever to to South Africa again I’d probably purchase it, even though very good healthcare is available there. My last 3 safaris have been in Zambia (2018), Tanzania (2019), and Tanzania (2021) and I bought Ripcord for each of them. In countries without such well developed healthcare as South Africa, I think it is a must to have it. I got injured in Zambia (torn rotator cuff, cracked ribs, sprained knee from a bad fall while trying to run down a poacher), but was able to travel home on my own. Had my injuries been worse, I might have needed Ripcord.

I know 2 Americans who’ve needed travel rescue insurance while hunting Africa. One was badly injured by a buffalo and the other needed para-military evacuation from a hot zone. I think one had Ripcord and the other had Global Rescue, both got home with their help.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it but not have it.

Thanks. Late 50s and early/late 60s on our first time to SAfrica. The few policies I had looked up seemed to exclude extreme sports and safaris. Should be a tame trip but when you are getting up there in years even rolling out of bed can be dangerous ;) Just don't want anyone stranded.

Thanks. Late 50s and early/late 60s on our first time to SAfrica. The few policies I had looked up seemed to exclude extreme sports and safaris. Should be a tame trip but when you are getting up there in years even rolling out of bed can be dangerous ;) Just don't want anyone stranded.
Ripcord and Global Rescue both market specifically to hunters.

South Africa medical is better than most African countries, but still not the best...:unsure:

Out of the bush would be easy...what happens if a buffalo, Hippo, Elephant, Lion or snake gets you...some areas we still have to travel 2-3 hours to the nearest PROPER hospital...FORGET about the government hospitals, I rather take the snake bite :LOL:

Medical insurance we all have if you can afford it, well at least I have, cannot take the change without it in the bush.

Absolutely, I highly recommend getting travel health insurance for South Africa. I actually had the opportunity to visit there last year, and having insurance from Aseguradora Sagicor Costa Rica made a significant difference during my trip. While exploring the beautiful landscapes and wildlife, I, unfortunately, fell ill and required medical attention. Thankfully, I had comprehensive coverage from that company, which provided financial assistance for the medical expenses and even arranged for a local doctor to visit me at my hotel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't usually worry about any of the travel insurance offered for trip cancellation, rescheduling, luggage, etc. I go with reputable friends and outfitters, and know if issues arise I can usually get refunds or reschedule trips as necessary. You have to feel that is a reasonable chance to take, with your disposable income you were going to spend anyway.

The health and evacuation insurance is a given, however, and I would never leave the States for anywhere in the world without it. RipCord and GlobalRescue are both top notch, and Med-Jet a solid third. Annual policies are very affordable, and usually cover you for anywhere when you are 150 miles or more away from home. They provide excellent coverage here, if you frequently hunt lots of States.

I have required/used emergency medical treatment only once in my 5 trips and that was for a serious eye injury. Luckily, my friends and family transported me to their private surgeon in Windhoek. The insurance would have covered that, if needed.

I went to RSA in 2016 and bought Global Rescue for 10 days and it was like $139 dollars. I was 58 and in good health. If you got hurt, they would fly you to the trauma hospital of your choice in the States. No one can plan for a heart attack or a broken leg. I was told that RSA has great doctors, their blood supply was questionable.

I’m 65 now and I heard Global Rescue won’t insure you, next time I go I will have Ripcord. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom