Shrinkage

COLO3D

Very Active Member
I just got our mounts back from the taxidermist and my rack shrunk 2" in spread from the time I shot it to the time I got it back from the taxidermist. It went from 29" down to 27".

I mentioned this to some friends last week at the tournament in Vegas, they asked if I put 2x4's in the rack. It sound like a good idea, but is it legal? Ethical? Does everybody do it?

Maybe the taxidermist accidently dropped the rack and split it, and guessed when he repaired it.
I don't think it would shrink a full two inches.
HH

COLO3D,
I've always heard of that happening a little bit (.25"-.5")during the initial drying period but never thought of throwing a 2x4 inside the rack until I killed a very old buck 2 yrs ago & his inside spread shrunk an almost full 2". The night I killed the buck a good friend of mine & a very respected scorer came over & took a few measurements to get rough idea on what it would score. The next day I took it to my taxidermist & when I picked it up 8 months later I couldnt believe what had happened. He was an old non-typ whitetail, I have no idea if the age of the buck made any difference in his "shrinkage" or not.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-05 AT 01:41PM (MST)[p]When they're in velvet the horns are still really "soft" and still running blood to the antlers.... Racks even shrink when they're hard, all B&C and other books allow for shrinkage,60 days, before the can be officially scored. Velvet racks can really shrink up, they're basically wet horn, quite a bit sometimes. Not that I would ever enter a head personally, but I don't think its exactly legal by "Book" standards to allow blocking between the horns, "unnatural" drying process and all, rack stretching and so on. I think if all your worried about is hanging it on your wall, go for it.

I did it with my deer, the taxidermist recommended it and said he does it with all of his deer.

Two inches means something is very wrong.
Never seen a deer shrink that much in any measurement and I have been around a lot of taxidermy and even helped prepare skulls for mounts part time when I was younger.
Someone else already brought up what I am thinking that your antlers (may) have been dropped and repaired on the skull plate.
I think a casual call to your taxidermist about your concern and an explanation is needed.

Wedging a couple 2x4's no matter what occured may actually crack the skull plate and if you care about score and book would make your mount disqualified if that happened.
Something to think about.
Best,
Jerry

I actually saw the skull plate a couple of weeks before I got the rack back and it was fine.

I shot a buck years ago that was still in velvet and was 26-3/4" wide when I shot him. I stripped the velvet off and within a few months the spread had shrunk to 24-1/2". I was surprised at how much shrinkage there was, but I don't think it's that uncommon.

As to the 2x4 trick, personally I wouldn't do it. I agree with what others have said about this possibly cracking the skull plate, plus IMHO you should just let antlers take their natural course. If this means putting up with some shrinkage, so be it. To each their own, though.

While waiting for the 60 day drying period, before measuring for B&C, is it OK to put it in the freezer? I've heard of this being done. Doesn't sound ethical to me. Just wondering.

Steve

eelgrass,

No, it is not acceptable to put them in the freezer for the 60 days. they must be air dried. The worst that can be done that so many do is hang them over a rafter in the garage.

JB

I have heard many hunters talk about shrinkage much greater than 2" of width loss. Only this shrinkage occurs between the time when they are shot, (and hit the ground), till the hunter reaches them and examines the antlers. Thats why I run up and grab the rack real fast after I shoot a buck, to prevent that "ground shrinkage"

Mine lost exactly one inch of width. From 30" to 29". It also lost alot of mass, over 1/2 inch. I could'nt beleive all the blood that dripped on the floor after the antlers were hung.

I shot a buck in 2000 that shrunk up 1" in one day from the heat of being locked in the cab of my truck. If the rack was in to much heat I wouldn't doubt that 2" could happen.

If we are talking about inside and outside spread only, most of the shrinkage happens when the skull plate is cut small. Natural direction for it to shrink. A taxidermist cuts it small so that he can screw it to the form. The best way to limit the spread shrinking, is to keep the skull intact (cleaned) until it completely dries and it's officially scored. Then the taxidermist can cut it down as small as he wants to. No 2x4's or freezer time if you are going to have it officially scored. Can't do anything about mass or point length shrinkage. I've only seen 3/4" inside spread loss on a small skull plate. Not 2". Ed F

I agree no freezer or 2x4's, however, I have heard that you should not put your antlers anywhere near heat because of shrinkage. I have heard of one guy that hung his antlers above a fireplace for ten to fifteen years and having the antlers shrink up over four inches in width. He claimed it was from hanging them over the fireplace. I don't know and would like to knowwhat you guys think.

>I just got our mounts back
>from the taxidermist and my
>rack shrunk 2" in spread
>from the time I shot
>it to the time I
>got it back from the
>taxidermist. It went from 29"
>down to 27".
>
>I mentioned this to some friends
>last week at the tournament
>in Vegas, they asked if
>I put 2x4's in the
>rack. It sound like a
>good idea, but is it
>legal? Ethical? Does everybody do
>it?

Actually I have seen several racks shrink up to an inch; however I have seen european mounts that were boiled and not cleaned by bugs shrink over 2 and 1/2 inches.! And the 2x4 works!!

A couple of years ago I shot a buck in November and lost him due to a snow storm that buried him that night. AFter that night he wouldn't have been seen again till the snow melted. I went back in June and found the antlers. There may have been a little ground shrinkage but I'm convinced he lost 10 points in scoring from when I shot him, his spread seemed to be 2-3 inches less than what I had guessed. Do you think that all that time in the woods like that could have caused the rack to shrink or did I just misjudge the buck? I'd welcome any thoughts.

I shot a 25 1/2" Muley Nov. of 2004, it only shrunk 1/4", no board, kept in a 70 deg house. I have at least 10 other racks in the house, never had any shrink more than 1/2".

Did you read the forum posted about a guy picking up his buck and suprisingly enough it had grown a by two inches?

Who was your taxidermist?

j/k
gw

just thought I'd put my two cents worth in the pot as well. I am a full time taxidermist, and have witnessed a lot of the same results you guys have mentioned. I have some ideas that you may find usefull or interesting.
First off, a deer's skull and antlers are full of blood or moisture that will inevitibly dry out over a long period of time. What you do with it during the drying time will determine the end result. If you must maintain the original spread of the buck from the day it was killed, then you must take immediate action. A stick or board should be cut with notches on each end and put inside the rack. To maintain a certain spread you will have to stretch that rack out at least another inch or two. If you do this while the skull is intact you run very little risk of breaking the skull. It is when the skull has dried for a month or two, and you try to stretch it out that you run the risk of breaking it. Also if you cut the antlers off the skull, leaving the small portion in the middle to attach to the mannikin it will obviously break much easier than a full skull will.
Dry the rack with the stick in it for at least two months. Take it out and it will snap back to nearly the original measurements.
This is illegal if you plan on having the rack measured for Boone and Crocket, or Pope and Young. If you don't have a book buck, then don't worry, it is not wrong or illegal.
It's ok to want the original neck size on your mount, then why not the original antler spread on the rack?
Also with velvet antlers you will lose more inches than you will with hard horn bucks. I have done some comparisons with bucks that my guided clients, and some of my taxidermy customers have had me strip the velvet on. On a buck that grosses around 195" the buck will lose almost 6" in gross score by stripping the velvet. Just to illustrate the reason, figure that each measurement will drop by 2 eighths of an inch, and the tine measurements will sometimes drop by 3 eighths inch. Add those up and you get some serious shrinkage. The same thing occurs when the velvet dries. You will lose mass and tine length as the velvet dries out. You can freeze dry the antlers and maintain the mass, but again it is illegal if you want to place the buck in any of the books.
I know this is long, but I just thought you might find it interesting.
Just one more thing. As the skull plate dries out and shrinks it will pull the antler tips inward, so the rack will lose more spread. The further the tips are from the skull, the more it will move them. Point is, the bigger the antlers the more potential they have to shrink.
This is my personal view on this, and there may be more knowledgeable guys out there, so take it as my opinion only.
Thanks,
Travis Roundy

Thanks for all of the replies on this post. Deerbedead, thak you for your time in replying with so many details, that was very helpful.

My last years CO buck was 30 1/4 inches the day I shot him. I did as my taxidermist recomended and stuck a board in his rack from day one. With the board in place the buck's outside spread was at 32 inches (about 1 3/4 inches wider). This was supposed to allow for it to shrink back to normal after having the board out for a while. I boiled the skull and cleaned it up a little bit just temporarily while waiting to get him mounted. I didn't want it to stink up the house. :) I left the board in while boiling him. The skull sat for about a month and then I took it to the taxidermist. When I pulled the board out the outside spread stayed at 31 1/2 inches! I couldn't beleive it. It has now been hanging in my family room for a few months and the outside width is still a hair over 31 inches last time I checked. I originally just wanted to keep his width where it was so I was very suprised to see that he actually ended up wider! Just wanted to let you know my experience with this.

By the way if I were to ever decide to enter a buck into the books (I seriously doubt I ever will) I would make dang sure it was legal to do before hand. To me it seems strange that those clubs would allow you to stretch your rack out before having it officially measured.

NvrEnuf

NvrEnuf,
Thanks for the reply. I was not looking to gain spread, just retain the spread that it originally had.

Bowuntr nailed it. When you cut the skull cap off, you're going to get width loss. DO like NvrEnuf said, clean it up and let it dry. You won't notice much shrinkage if you leave it on the shull. Cut the eye sockets and that bad boy will fold up like a cheap lawn chair.
As for not putting a board in, why wouldn't you want the 27" buck you shot to stay the 27" buck that he was naturally. I don't like the idea of saying 'We'll, dag dum it, he used to be 27" but now his only 25"'. That's the whole point of taxidermy, to bring animal back a natural looking state.

'It's all about the gut pile'

I hear that one, more times then you can shake a stick at. "He use to be --" wide and now he A tad smaller. A book deer should never be skull capped leave the head whole just clean it. If you not putting him in the book put the board in.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom