Sierra Grande- Camping Areas/Lodging

ixsolracxi

Hello all...was just wondering if anyone knows of any camping or lodging areas near sierra grande east of raton...my daughter has a youth antelope tag there next weekend...her hunt area is between sierra grande and cow mountain in unit 56...the closest state park is sugarite just outside of raton...was just hoping to find something closer...this is her first ever hunt...any information would be greatly appreciated...

thanks

carlos

Carlos,

There is not much out there. From the Sierra Grande area you are looking at 45 min either way to Raton or Clayton. In Capulin, NM which is 10-15 min from Sierra Grande there is an RV/Camping/Cabin park that looks pretty nice. Passed through there several times during antelope hunting season and there are lots of folks there. If you decide to stay there, might be a good idea to reservations. They will probably get real busy next week. Here is the link

http://www.capulinrvpark.com/index.html

heck, just camp out near the area. you can stay on any blm, state or fsps as long as your not within 300 yards of a watering hole. It will make the experience all that much more special for her.

When I had that hunt for the entire family, including a 9 & 10yr old, I found it easiest to stay in Raton. At the time we did not have the 5th whel I currently own otherwise we would have done as Buckrage suggested. This hunt shoudl prove short work, we had 4 down within 2hrs!! Goodluck

Man how my girls have grown!! 17 & 18 now, CHERISH the time spent in the field with your lil ones!!

7321tommychavez111506.jpg

thanks gents...my thoughts were to camp around sierra grande since there is quite a bit of state land there...was wondering if there were some known camping areas in the vicinity...

toro, wow, four bucks in no time huh...i bet that was a fun hunt...i am really looking forward to hunting with my brat...i may even pick up a landowner doe tag for the ranch (most likely will) but the hunt is more for her...

Hope you all have a great hunting season and be safe!!!

I just talked to the GW a few days ago and asked the same question. He said you can camp anywhere as long as it's not private or closer than 300 yards from a water source including man made tanks.

That GW better read the proc. No camping on state lands without the lessee's consent.

The Beast is Dead, Long Live the Beast.

-The Nuge

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom