Sierra Mackerel Ceviche

CFMuley

After finishing up a turkey hunt down in Mexico last week, we went out on the Sea of Cortez for a day of fishing before heading home. We caught a pile of yellowtail, barracuda, and sierra mackerel. I decided to turn a couple of the mackerel into ceviche. This fish was swimming 2 days ago.
0EB9D23B-C303-45AC-B1AF-B3BC5DB06682.jpeg

In Mexico there was a mother and daughter that filleted our fish for us. I took the fillets and removed the pin bones, skin, and blood line. After that cut the meat into 1/2” chunks, and soak those chunks of meat in lime juice for 45 minutes to an hour. Once the meat turns opaque, you’re good to go, and I like to drain off the excess lime juice.
FA85226A-5AD3-446B-A23C-A720D2920587.jpeg

You can mix in almost whatever you like, but i like red onion, tomatoes, cilantro, english cucumbers and serrano peppers. I normally add avocado as well, but I forgot to grab one from the store. Mix in your veggies, salt, pepper, a little olive oil, and whatever else you feel like with your meat, and let it rest for a while. The longer it rests the better it gets.
C0EC2B0B-97B0-4BD0-A541-C7DE3DAFF18D.jpeg

Serve with tortilla chips or on tostadas. I like taking a tostada shell, smearing a thin layer of mayo on it, and piling ceviche on top of that, but I’m fat as f##k after living in Mexico for the last 5 months so I’m just eating it on some romaine leaves. Haha

yummy16.gif

Muy bueno! Looks great.

I haven't done fish yet. In my shrimp ceviche, I forgo the cukes but add celery, garlic & a dash of both Worcestershire sauce & Snappy V8 juice.

That’s some good stuff, we used to make it with shark when I was stationed in South Texas. Great memories…

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom