Sierra Madre Outfitters

I went with two other friends on a hunt with SMO last month. We were originally booked for a mule deer hunt last year and Homer cancelled our hunt three days before we were supposed to leave (allegedly due to Covid). Homer refused to refund our money and took months to get back to us. Eventually he rebooked us this January. We were also supposed to hunt sheep. We spoke with a few references before we left, and the vouched for the outfit. I suspect Homer runs a very few sort of legit hunts to have a few references.
When we arrived in Altar, Mexico, we were dropped off at a lodge and were taken out to the Sonora Desert for deer hunting first. We never saw or spoke to Homer. He would text back on Whatsapp but would not answer. We "hunted" deer for 3 nights, by spotlighting out of the back of pickups. This was clearly not what we were expecting, nor did we expect the guides and interpreters to be chugging tequila and snorting lines of cocaine every 15 minutes.
There were a few big deer there, but this was a spotlighting operation. In addition we ran into dozens of caravans of illegal immigrants driving past us each night.
Then we were supposed to be transported to Hermosillo to be taken to the sheep hunting ranch. We were stuck for 3 days in a hotel in Hermosillo and Homer never showed up. He never answered the phone, and kept saying he overbooked the hunt and he would send a driver to take us back to Tucson. Eventually, we had to find our own way home by hiring a private driver to take us the 4 hours back to the US at a cost of $950 cash US.
Now that we are back, Homer is again silent and dropped off our Whatsapp chat. This outfitter is a scam and should be avoided by any US hunter. This is not a legit hunt and you likely will end up losing your money.
Soooo….can you hook a guy up with some blow? PM sent.

Has anyone ever hunted with them? Or know anyone that has hunted with them? Just trying to get some reviews.

Still trying to get specifics on where they hunt and if it is truly free range, just know they have 90000 acres.

Feel free to PM if that is better, I really appreciate the help and info.
Yes me and my buddy did , do not go and do not send any money, homer is a scammer, big time , I sent 10 thousand $ to him for a hunt , but because of COVID we couldn’t go , he never send my money back and will not answer my calls, also I hunted sheep and we hunted on a prohibited place which at the time I didn’t know, we went buy boat in the dark in the morning and return, also I have been wating for my animals that I also paid for to homer for the taxidermist , I’ve been wating for 2 years for them , so please DO NOT GO TO THEM HUGE SCAMMERS NOT A JOKE.

My buddy and I ended up going down in January. We both got rams. The story is long and complicated. I am planning to put all of it on here. We are still trying to get our rams back and I don't want to jeopardize that. I hope to have some things resolved with them soon. I will post an update with details as soon as I find out about our sheep.

Has anyone ever hunted with them? Or know anyone that has hunted with them? Just trying to get some reviews.

Still trying to get specifics on where they hunt and if it is truly free range, just know they have 90000 acres.

Feel free to PM if that is better, I really appreciate the help and info.
Do not waste your money! Scam. We lost alot if money with this guy Homer! They abandond us In Hermisillo had to pay $1000 to someone to take us to border.

I hunted with kdunning who posted recently. Obviously, we had a pretty interesting trip. Originally, we were supposed to hunt in Feb 2021. But that was cancelled two days before our trip, due to COVID.

It was then a long time of silence from SMO, after multiple emails and texts, Homer finally responded to us.

We had booked and paid for a combo mule deer hunt and sheep hunt. After multiple back and forth, we finally went on our trip in Feb 2022. Even obtaining the gun permit was very difficult, but he did send copies prior to our trip.

We decided to fly to Tuscon and be picked up by SMO. We never meet Homer the entire trip, only people that worked for him.

As Kdunning described, it was a night hunting trip and spotlighting the deer. Out of three hunters in our group, I actually did end up harvesting a nice mule deer...but by total luck. We spotlight the deer and I jumped out of the bed of the pick up and was able to chase after it. The deer stopped after a light was shined on it and I took a shot. The other two guys never had any opportunity to pull the trigger on a mule deer.

It was about 4 days left to our trip and we contacted Homer to see when we would go on the ram hunt. He didn't respond for two days and then finally responded that he can't take us ram hunting.

We were eventually brought to Hermosillo by a group of Homer contacts. Eventually, we were stranded in Hermosillo and had to hire our own person to bring us back across the border. The door man at the hotel we stayed at was actually a really helpful guy and saw we were in trouble.

Homer and his father both apologized about the trip and not taking us Ram hunting. They said they overbooked themselves this season to make up for lost income due to COVID. They assured us the we would be refunded for our ram hunt. That has yet to happen. I have several texts from both Homer and his father promising a refund after April 15th....Well today is the 28th and I have had no contact about a refund.

We obviously would never go back and hunt with them again. I see that some people on this site actually had taken ram's with SMO. Great for them, I truly hope you get your trophy back.

My group was really disappointed with the whole trip and we are hoping that Homer and his father and SMO make it right by at least refunding us for the ram hunt.

If that happens, I will update the forum. If you want more details, you can PM me.

Here are a few of the texts from Homer and his father Homer Sr. Both are promising refunds, but I have still not gotten any info about said refunds
Screenshot_20220510-031218_Messages.jpg
InkedScreenshot_20220510-031026_WhatsApp_LI.jpg

Amazing how many people read the terrible reviews and still decide to go with this outfit.

50% of his clients kill a nice ram and 50% end up in jail, get screwed out of their money and need to hire a Coyote to sneak back into the US. I guess that’s a 50% success rate.

Amazing how many people read the terrible reviews and still decide to go with this outfit.

50% of his clients kill a nice ram and 50% end up in jail, get screwed out of their money and need to hire a Coyote to sneak back into the US. I guess that’s a 50% success rate.
Unless I missed it, 0% get their trophy. Lol

Update guys...Late August and still no refund from Feb trip as promised by Homer Sr...he says it is coming any day now...

You be the judge!

Any more updates on refunds?? This is a great thread and really it’s close to Home for anyone who has dealt with a shady Homer south of the homeland.

Here is the follow up to my story on my bighorn. It has been a nightmare trying to get my sheep back. I received my ram yesterday after almost 2 years of waiting. It cost me a lot of additional money in trying to get it here.

I had to hire a different exporter to track down my sheep. Luckily it was Steve Adams from SOA, who had two hunters booked with sierra madre who also couldn’t get their sheep back, step in and get his exporter involved. The exporter tracked the sheep down at the taxidermist Homer had used in the past. The taxidermist in Sonora was about to dump every animal into the sea of Cortez because he was never paid by homer. The taxidermist required, in order to release the rams, we would need to pay for every animal that was in his shop. So the exporter for a hold of every hunter he could. We all paid are share and then he released the animals.

Homer had never filed for a Cotes permit so I had to wait for the Mexican government to issue that and pay the fee. I then paid the new exporter.

I got my ram and the horns wet in tact although after boiling they put the horns back on the skull so one of them is stuck on and will have to be skillfully removed. The real problem is the cape is garbage. It isn’t even my cape. I was there and helped cape out a shoulder cape for my ram. I was sent a full body cape. The cape was never salted only set out to dry. The ears were never turned. There are five large cuts including one right on the nose. It is garbage. I can not do a mount of my ram. I am hoping to find and buy another cape.

My friend who went hunting at the same time never ever received his ram. Homers taxidermist in Sonora said he had bo idea where it went.

Homer is a shady con artist. I highly recommend you look elsewhere for a hunt in Mexico.

☝️ Only spent about 15 minutes reading through this. What BS. Everyone notice that the posters who wrote about how good their hunts were were basically all new to MM. What a scam.

Update on the "refund" from the crapshow last year....Nada. Homer is MIA and his father says they keep sending checks and they keep getting sent back.

Total scam outfitter. I know the US Fish and Wildlife service had started an investigation into this outfitter and its shady practices and the Mexican authorities have as well

Hopefully he is shut down and nobody else gets scammed like myself and my buddies.

Still looking to shoot a good desert ram someday, will have to look around for a reputable outfitter

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Mexico Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy Sonoran mule deer and coues deer on over 400,000 acres of private ground.

DIY Coues Deer Hunts

Hunt 20k acre private ranch in Sonora for coues bucks ranging in the 100" class. Email Michael at [email protected].

Sonora Outfitters

We hunt on some of the best ranches in Sonora - known for holding trophy Desert Bighorn Sheep and trophy Mule Deer.

MADD Hunts

DIY coues buck hunts on 30 sq. miles of archery only, private lands. Nice accomodations, along with information and photos.

Back
Top Bottom