Siskiyou Bull Elk

timbuck2

Anyone have experience with this hunt? Public or private. I'm also looking for private land with good bulls with reasonably priced trespass fee. Thanks in advance.

no fee needed..the around..on public and private. Density is getting better every year. Just need to put the time in..that time last year there was a few decent bulls around Hambone lookout if that's part of the zone and around Tule Lake boarder..all sides. Jester

Jester - Thank you! Going to check it out this weekend. I've heard mixed stories from folks, so just trying to learn as much as possible. I've found the town of Hambone on the map which is south of the Siskiyou hunt unit, but I haven't found the Hambone lookout. Not sure if that's near the town or a different location that may be within the unit. Anyway, well be covering a lot of ground before season. Thanks again!

I will be up there also..camping at medicine lake ..if around am in a dark blue Ram 1500 shell with yak rack on top..in evenings..i got a tag and generally hang out off and on looking and fishing..i don't do holidays weekends.
Jester

There’s a lookout tower on bear mountain just south and west of there.. but still in the north east zone. Fairly close to the Siskiyou unit though. Check out some of the private timberlands to the west of dorris and the butte valley wildlife area. The roads are gated.. but I believe you can hike in on the roads and scout/ hunt. I could be wrong on that though. Timber products out of yreka owns a bunch of that.

There’s a lookout tower on bear mountain just south and west of there.. but still in the north east zone. Fairly close to the Siskiyou unit though. Check out some of the private timberlands to the west of dorris and the butte valley wildlife area. The roads are gated.. but I believe you can hike in on the roads and scout/ hunt. I could be wrong on that though. Timber products out of yreka owns a bunch of that.
Schmalie79 - Thank you. I will check it out.

Look in the Goosenest area, and around the back side of Grass Lake. I've seen those elk in there multiple times.

Calbuck. Will do! Thanks for the heads up. Made our first trip up today to scout for a few hours and found elk in a couple spots on private ground. We'll be headed back up again in July.

Wow, memories from the past. I never come to the California forum. Was bored and decided to check it out and glad I did. I grew up in Siskiyou County. Lived at the base of Willow Creek Mountain for a lot of years before we moved to town (Yreka). Hunted that mountain many, many times as a kid and have some great memories. We used to kill some great bucks. I remember heading up the mountain to cut wood with my dad and seeing a great bull wrapped up in the fence on York Road right where it turns to FS. Used to see elk in that country quite often. Back then the elk numbers were still pretty low, but we always managed to see a few. In the winter when the snow got deep they would come down off the mountain and we would see them in the foothills to the south of York Road. My dad still has a nice 6 point shed we found while wood cutting up there. Sure brings back a lot of memories. Off topic sorry but how's the deer hunting around there nowadays? Guess I should check out the California forum more often. Good luck on your hunt.

Grosventrehunter - What great memories! I have never hunted this area before. Did some scouting with my dad and saw some elk. Didn't see too many deer but we weren't there at prime daylight hours. I'm sure they are there but I will be able to give a better answer after season. I will try to check out the Willow Creek area but I haven't found York Road on the map yet. Thanks!

We did it!!! We hunted hard and ended up getting a great bull for my dad! Not bad for 76 years young ?. Special thanks to 84toyota and the rest of you guys for the pointers. We had access to private ground but ended up getting it on public. My dad has been my hunting buddy my whole life and I treasure every one of these adventures..... even when we don’t bring one home.
Dad's 2020 Siskiyou Bull.PNG

Congrats on an awesome bull and hunt with your dad. Looks like a few well placed shots also. What’s he shooting
He is shooting a 300wsm with 180gr Trophy Copper. My dad shot, the bull fell down, got up, shot again, bull fell down, got up and started walking.... we debated on following the bull or letting it go and not push it. Thank God we decided to follow it!! It went about 700 yards with no blood trail. Even after we got the bull, I rewalked the path back to where we started and no blood, no exit holes.

Congratulations to your dad for getting out there and getting it done! Great bull. I hope to be hunting at his age if we are aloud to by then.

HEY TIMBUCK 2, CONGRATS ON A GREAT BULL & GREAT TRIP WITH DAD!!! I AM A MAX POINT HOLDER IN CA. FOR ELK, AND WAS WANTING TO GET SOME ADVISE FROM YOU . I SENT YOU A PRIVATE MESSAGE. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME............YD.

Wow, memories from the past. I never come to the California forum. Was bored and decided to check it out and glad I did. I grew up in Siskiyou County. Lived at the base of Willow Creek Mountain for a lot of years before we moved to town (Yreka). Hunted that mountain many, many times as a kid and have some great memories. We used to kill some great bucks. I remember heading up the mountain to cut wood with my dad and seeing a great bull wrapped up in the fence on York Road right where it turns to FS. Used to see elk in that country quite often. Back then the elk numbers were still pretty low, but we always managed to see a few. In the winter when the snow got deep they would come down off the mountain and we would see them in the foothills to the south of York Road. My dad still has a nice 6 point shed we found while wood cutting up there. Sure brings back a lot of memories. Off topic sorry but how's the deer hunting around there nowadays? Guess I should check out the California forum more often. Good luck on your hunt.
I also grew up in the little shasta area. We hunted willow creek mtn for deer for 30 years. There used to be lots of elk on Silva's ranch and the base of Willow Creek.. I graduated Yreka High in 1986. How about you?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom