Sitka blacktails

B

Bura Nut

where do you hunt in Alaska? How about B.C. on the islands. Do most of the B&C bucks come from Kodiak, or Inland??????

I too would like some input! We had a great hunt last year, but I didn't connect on the size of deer I wanted. I would love to go back, but want to be "armed" with more information!

Thanks...

P-DUB

Bura,

I was just wondering about how much one could expect to spend on a Sitka Blacktail hunt? Sure seems like it would be a kick in the but.Do you have to have a guide? what about with a bow?

When we went last year, the cost of the boat we stayed on was $1,500.00 for six nights including food, travel to hunting spots, zodiak in to island each day. The license was like 85.00 and deer tags are 150.00 each up to 4 last year. The air fare was 500.00 round trip from phoenix to anchorage then another 225.00 roundtrip from anchorage to kodiak. So somewhere around 2200 - 2500.00 on the self guided deer hunting trip. There are other ways to do it, like using the "road system" where you could stay in Kodiak, rent a vehicle and drive to a spot, then hunt, or you could fly from Kodiak to a place like Larsen bay, stay at a lodge and hunt the surounding area. Also, there are alot of canneries that are abandoned or idle in the winter where you could take a float plane from Kodiak out to the cannery and stay there for around 70.00 per night (no food included) just bed/roof/ hot water and a small boat to run up or down the beach to other spots. There also are state owned cabins you can stay at for very reasonable prices and self guide using this as your base camp. You did not need a guide if you were hunting deer......

Bura,

Thanks for the info.I would like to go to Alaska sometime in the next few years,I just don't know what I want to hunt first..Caribou or Sitka's.I like the idea of being able to take 4 sitka's,it seems like you could bring home plenty of meat and still hunt for a trophy.Then again spot and stalk Caribou on the open tundra would be a kick.

I think there is so much to see up there, that both hunts have their plus's. I really enjoyed what I got to experience on Kodiak, Uganik, and know the terrain is substantially different than what you will see Caribou hunting. I got to see hundreds of otters, couple foxes, 6 huge Kodiak brown bears, lots of deer, etc........ and hundreds of pictures. I loved it, and also want to go for Caribou, just torn between B.C. and Alaska for the Caribou. I will go back for deer, and the meat is excellent. I am upgrading my grand slam on deer each year, hoping for bigger deer each time, so I have my own "Quest" to keep me busy until I cant hunt anymore (hopefully alot of years from now)..............

Bura, 8 of the top 50 sitkas came from Kodiak, The Islands are a good bet, a lot less country to cover. Although some of them are big. I lived in Juneau for three years and took quite a few sitkas. Very generous bag limits back then 6 a year. We always hunted the islands from boats. We would drive around till we saw a likely area, but usually spotted them from the boat. I thought washington had some brush but it,s nothing compared to s.e. Ak. Are you thinking of going back?

I definitely will go back. I would love any advice on the best time of year, where to go, etc... We were on a boat, but the bays were frozen, so we couldnt motor to far around Uganik to look for deer. Sheilikoff sp? was pretty nasty, so we didnt run across, stayed pretty close to our original stopping spot, so I think it had got pounded by prior hunters......

Bura, you were in the right spot. when exactly were you there? There have been quite a few booners taken from Uganik Bay and around the lake. October as early as possible may be your best bet, as the bays may not have froze up yet. Hope this helps skyriver

We got there on 11-27. we went south around the island due to the runoff that is frozen in the bay. The ice was thick enough to walk on. terror bay/Uganik passage were full of ice, so we hunted around Uganik flats. we tried to get to campbell cove, but it was too rough in the straights. 3rd day we started at Star point, it was steep, but had benches on the way up, but we got ran off by a big boar. We hunted pretty much the same area's 1 - 2 miles up and down the coast.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom