Sitka deer /Prince of Wales reccomendation

J

jdbuck1

Interested in hunting Sitkas on Prince of Wales. Any recommendations on lodges or outfitters ? I would appreciate anyone who has info regarding a quality hunt with a quality operation.

Thanks

JD

JD ...

I hunt the Island.

I sent an email via this site. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Johnnie

I have a cabin on POW and have killed blacktail, black bear plus done a ton of fishing there. It is actually an easy place to do a do-it-yourself hunt with a little help if you are inclined to save some money. I'd be happy to give you info on self-guided hunting or I can recommend guided or semi-guided if that is what you prefer. Email me or give me a PM and I'd be happy to give you lots of info.

Sorry to hijack in on your post, but I am just beginning to think about taking my father on a sitka blacktail hunt. I was looking at Kodiak, but then someone mentioned POW. It is legal to hunt without a guide? We are not big on guides, but semi-guided would be OK too. Any info you could tell me would be great. I am just starting to look at it.

Thanks.

Shane

You can hunt deer, caribou and moose w/o a guide. Something like 3,000 miles of road on the Big Island. Most of the locals are road hunters, so if you're willing to wander 1/4 off the road you could get into some decent deer. The big horned deer seem to come out of the central and northern ends of the island - I think it's due to all the limestone and somewhat due to genetics of those areas. Get yourself a good fawn bleat call and you'll can call 'em in. Bucks will respond to this type of call during the rut. Order up a USFS road guide map - it shows all the State and Forest Hwys and logging roads.

MM

Ditto what MM said. I've hunted the northend. There are lots of old clearcuts to hunt and the bucks are moving alot during the rut. The early season is alot more physical but you can blackbear hunt and fish for a nice combo trip.

Hey JDbuck1,

I guide for a guy out of Thorne Bay and he has a set up for a do-it-yourself hunts. He privides the lodging. It is incredible up there of how many deer and black bear are on that island. You can get info about his place at www.thornebaylodge.com His name is Brent. If you have any questions you can give me a call at 1-877-347-4662 I'm Jon

>Ditto what MM said. I've
>hunted the northend. There
>are lots of old clearcuts
>to hunt and the bucks
>are moving alot during the
>rut. The early season
>is alot more physical but
>you can blackbear hunt and
>fish for a nice combo
>trip.

WH, sent you a PM...

2010 Bowtech Destroyer 340...

I did a deer hunt in Zacher Bay on Kodiak. There is a lodge there that is primarily fishing, but in the winter they rent out there cabins. They also provide boat transportation for additional fee. nice setup. they use one of the old cannery building for deer processing. its nice to keep bears away.

Pretty tough the first week of November... Saw 5 deer in 9 days, killed this one on the last day... Came right to a can call, 30 yard shot.

7954sitka_blacktail.jpg

>Hey JDbuck1,
>
> I guide for
>a guy out of Thorne
>Bay and he has a
>set up for a do-it-yourself
>hunts. He privides the lodging.
>It is incredible up there
>of how many deer and
>black bear are on that
>island. You can get info
>about his place at www.thornebaylodge.com
>His name is Brent. If
>you have any questions you
>can give me a call
>at 1-877-347-4662 I'm Jon

I know Brent I used to live in Thorne Bay I miss hunting that area you will have a fun hunt if you put some effort into it.

Is it possible to do a combo hunt for blacktail and moose and or caribou on POW. I'd like to come film a show there and trying to do all my homework now for the 2015 season..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom