SITKA Jetstream or Other

MNWoodsman

Anyone own a Jetstream? Im looking to get a daily jacket for fall and maybe winter and looking into a solid color like "Dirt". Wondering what the comfortable temp range is for a Jetstream. I have felt it in the store, it seems light weight.

Down to what temp would it be good for in daily use with a T-shirt under?
What temp would it be good for in extreme MN winter with a hoodie under?

Or if there are any other jacket recommendations that can double as a hunting jacket in that mid/heavy soft shell range???

I have the Jetstream vest and it works great along with my other base layers down to the mid 20s! I think my next purchase will be the Jetstream jacket.

I know you mentioned you have the vest and you mention with other base layers. In a T-shirt what low temp would you think would be comfortable in.

MNWoodsman,
By your handle I presume you're from MN and I live in central TX. You are surely much more cold tolerant than I am as I've lived in TX my whole life and usually spend a couple of weeks out west chasing deer and elk. I'm usually fairly comfortable in a Sitka Jetstream vest and long sleeved heavy cotton/synthetic t-shirt here in TX when the temps are in the upper 30's to mid 40s. In 2018, I hunted in central CO and the morning temps were in the mid teens and I had 2 base layers, Jetstream vest, and a Sitka 90% jacket. I was comfortable in the mid teens but after a few hours my feet were frozen and just needed to move around. I think the Jetstream jacket would have been a better choice than the 90% jacket...
To make a long story short, I believe you would easily tolerate mid to upper 20s and into the mid 30s with a Jetstream jacket and long-sleeved t-shirt. But then again, you MN boys are tougher than a dirt road and can take the cold...

Songdog, looks like you have had some time rolling around in the snow with that monster in your picture. Thanks for the input, I have a love hate with Sitka Gear, I have many pieces of their stuff and through I think it is overpriced, it usually stands up to the test. I wish they would create some items that were less extreme layering pieces. Im looking for a solid color hard shell with some warmth to get me into the 20s with minimal layers. As you mention this might be it, problem is I can't find it in stores to get my hands on it and give it the good l'fit feel test "aka" talk myself into buying it.

thanks im open to any other jacket options, I see that Firstlite has some hard shells in solids, anyone???

I’ve been running the same Sitka Jetstream jacket for like 8 years+...
I love it!!!
I would say with a long sleeve tee or base layer, upper 20’s would be safe it not moving around to much.

Thats perfect, thanks. I was able to get to a Scheels Sporting Goods flagship store and they have more Sitka Gear than I have ever seen. Literally the entire collection. I was able to try it on and get a better idea of what the jacket was. Problem is full retail cost is expensive.

Oh ya, I don’t ever pay full retail!
Now that you tried it on, and you know if you like it, search the web...
There’s always a deal somewhere, although Sitka can be tricky due to what they will allow sellers to mark down/sale prices?
But Mountain Archery, out of Idaho, seems to always have some deals...
Check them out.
Good luck!

Check out the SKRE Hardscrabble Jacket...Basically the same thing as the Jetstream but at way less the cost. Plus if you mention monster muleys they'll give you a discount. Going on my 5th year with SKRE and absolutely love their gear.

I have a Jetstream and like it, but it is loud. I much prefer my Kulu guide jacket. Might want to take a look at those too

So, I had a whole lineup of Kuiu gear, and loved the way it fit. Loved the zippers, pockets, etc... Durable stuff!
But unless they’ve change the exterior material on there guide line, and other pieces, it gathers dirt/dust a 100 fold over the Sitka.
I was in a couple rain storms after a couple trek/accents that were dry and dusty, and it was like I had chocolate milk on me??? The material just seemed to hold dirt/dust, Sitka doesn’t!
FYI...

I love my Sitka Jetstream. I bought one size larger and use the Kelvin lite hoody as a base layer on the real cold days during my late season elk hunt

If you hunt in brush you may want to find a quieter material. I bought a Sitka fanatic vest a couple years ago. It’s a little bulkier but has a quiet fleece outer. They also make fanatic jackets and bibs. Do a search and you’ll likely find that Minnesota hunters really like fanatic for winter hunting. I use my vest In Alaska wyo and colo. the secret is to layer up. I often use Sitka nimbus rain jacket as an outer for snow and to cut wind.

It’s amazing how much Sitka and Kuiu are priced but I wear both. I only buy them when I find great deals.

I got one in Dirt color. I have been wearing it as a daily jacket. Testing out the layer ability. I sized up to an XL, I’m 5’10 190.
I’m learning this winter that at 14 degrees I need three layers: Sitka midweight, Sitka Midi and the jacket. Nice thing is wind is irrelevant because the jacket does a great job cutting it. At 30 degrees I can get away with just a mid weight base.
Pretty great jacket. If I had one critique of it, I’d like to see Sitka add a smooth liner, kinda like a Patagonia/Northface puffy. I like when jackets slide nicely over later rather that feel Velcro.

I have the jet stream it works real good. It sheds water pretty good, (not water proof) and blocks the wind pretty good. It is one of my main go to coats - jackets. When it get cold I put a insulated jacket under it. I have had mine for about 5 yrs, this winter the zipper went out and they replaced it at no cost.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom