Sled Springs Elk

LookinFor30

My mid 70's father decided he was up for one last elk hunt and burned his points on the Sled Springs unit. Rifle hunt. He's pretty excited and the rest of family is rather nervous. He's in decent physical shape but has some limitations due to some major heart work he's had done over the years (over 30 stents!!)
My question is of the private land that is sometimes accessible in that unit....I believe it to be timber company land?? Are there roads that are open for scouting? How about during season?? He's got a couple of good horses, but is hoping to save them for the pack out and not do much actual riding.
What type of bull should he be pulling the trigger on??

Any advice is greatly appreciated and I'd gladly reciprocate with some Heppner/Ukiah/Desolation advice if it would benefit anyone.

I wish I had info for you, I've had two friends hunt it but it was archery. Plenty of elk, there are closed gates that can be mountain biked to get back to the grand ronde breaks which is good. If he isn't up for that worked the edge of some of the private land. However this is archery info. Rifle could be different.

Thanks a ton!! He says this is his last hunt before going out to pasture......sad to see.
I plan to scout a time or two before your season and will definitely share what I find. I'm sure you'll be hunting different animals as he will be happy with any bull at all.

Thanks again

LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-19 AT 08:51AM (MST)[p]Not sure how I missed this post. PM me I can get you on some private for your dad...

muleyman

Back
Top Bottom