Sled Springs Elk

Flyjunky12

Hey guys/gals,

Instead of waiting for a "top 3" elk unit we will be burning our points this year and taking a first time hunter with us. My dad doesn't have a whole lot of years left for this type of country so I'll be "training" my future hunting partner during this trip and I'd like to put my dad and my friend on a bull.

After much deliberation between Sled Springs, Imnaha, and Snake River we have decided on Sled. My dad is getting up there in years and I think the other units will just be too tough for him to get around in. We've never stepped foot in Sled btw.

We will not be hunting out of state this year so we will be able to scout this unit at least 3 different times throughout the summer/early fall, probably around 7-9 days worth. I've already been e-scouting but for me there is no substitution for boots on the ground.

From what I've read it can get pretty busy in this unit and it sounds like most of that pressure is on the Western side of the unit which I'm assuming is west of the Promise road, but I have heard it mentioned guys do decent on the east side as well. It also sounds like there are a lot of people who just road hunt...which is good for us as we like to get away from roads.

I do have a couple of questions that I'd like to throw out there and pm's are definitely recommended:

1. I realize they don't allow camping once the fire season has kicked in on Hancock lands but during rifle elk I'm assuming that restriction is lifted?

2. Do most of the elk hang in the timber up top or do they start to funnel down the canyons once the pressure hits? I realize weather will have a big factor but I haven't had boots on the ground in there yet and by google earth/onX that looks like it might be the case.

3. I know during archery season it seems like most guys use bikes and get back in there on the closed roads, is that similar during rifle?

Any other info or advice you can share via pm I'd really appreciate it.

If you're from WA I can see an advantage to that unit. if not there are others you may want to consider in the same point range with less hunters and better access.

I assume you're talking 1st season ?

If you're from WA I can see an advantage to that unit. if not there are others you may want to consider in the same point range with less hunters and better access.

I assume you're talking 1st season ?
No, we're Oregon residents. The access is pretty good in Sled and it would be 1st season.

Do you mind me asking about the other units you're talking about? We've hunted a number of different units over the last 25 years but never in Sled. Sled has good stats and it's pretty consistent. If we had horses we'd be doing Snake River. Imnaha is too steep and more of a migration hunt, Chesnimnus is not what it used to be.

I thought you were NR hunters . so I was assuming you have 7 or 8 since that's what Sled takes and there were other's I'd prefer.

If you have 5 or 6 resident points it requires to draw Sled those others are out for you. in that case there are quite a few options but none I could say are any better. I have no experience there but I have relatives that have hunted it for years and they do okay. never taken anything huge and they say there are a lot of hunters but they keep going back so it must not be that bad.

I hunted Sled about five years ago. We went 3/4 with 2 spikes and a raghorn 5x5. I sent a good buddy into the same haunts in '20 we hunted before and they never saw an elk the whole season. Never saw any tracks. This was in the NF portion of the unit.

Be advised Hancock is selling camping spots and last year had two outfitters in there as well. There is no getting away from people.

If you put in the work you will do fine, bulls will be in steep stuff most likely by rifle season. Some of the bulls on the west side private will probably still be with really big cow herds but for the most part, they will have moved to sanctuary areas. All of the units you mentioned are good units, sled probably being the easiest of the three.

Back
Top Bottom