Sleeping Bag and Tent

S

SoTX

I am looking for a good light weight sleeping bag. One that is in the 5lbs or less range and is 36" wide so I can roll over in it. Zero degree rating.
Looking at tents as well. Two man and light weight for back packing.
What are guys useing. Need some input.
Thanks
George

I have a late 80's Slumberjack Quallofill bag. Tent is a Eureka Timberline, 2 person. Cheap, but adequate.

For tents, take a look at the Tadpole by North Face. Good price for a high quality tent. Also look at the Preying Mantis by Quest. For sleeping bags, I'm sure there are several models that would fit the bill. I have a Marmot down bag rated to 0 degrees that packs really small.
-Raptor

Howdy,

Nmraptor is right, good stuff. Let me give you an alternative. www.campmor.com this will put you in touch with the co. that I've done the most business with in the last 30 years. Their store brand mummy bags are as good as it gets. Used one for 20 years until it was "borrowed" and then lost.
Best to you.
Coach

Thanks guys

I have looked at cabelas but campmore sliped my mind. Should have gone there first.
I will check out what Raptor sugested.
Thanks
George

My brother and I used a Cableas XPG 4 man tent last year on a backpack hunt. Were very happy with it. Very compact, only 8-1/2 lbs and room for us 2 and all our gear. Always get a tent that is rated for at least 1 person more than is going to stay in the tent. If not, you will have no room for gear.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I find that REI's sleeping bags are hard to beat. Do you want a tent that can be packed in on your back or one for a basecamp?

One more thing. DO not skimp on these 2 items. If you do, you will be sorry. One night in a leaky tent or in a cold sleeping bag and you will think any amout of money would be worth it!

You may already know this, but you also need to have a good trail pad to sleep on. Without it, your underside will get cold and you will be uncomfortable from sleeping directly on the ground. I use the self inflating thermarest pad.

On sleeping bags. My last 2 have been "synthetic down". They are great for the first few years, but they always lose there loft sooner or later. I am going back to down on my next one. In that regard, the Cabelas XPG looks pretty good to me. Can't go wrong with REI, Sierra Designs, or some of the other name brands either.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-04 AT 12:36PM (MST)[p]last winter a group of us went tent camping, it was second deer season here in Iowa.
my buddy just bought a new alaskan tent,
great tent.
but we neglected to put the rain fly over it.
the next morning i was frozen to the side wall.
we had 10 of us in this tent which is quite large.
but the moisture from our breath condicated on the ceiling and dripped all night long.
we awoke to everything wet.
some of the guys had cheep bags and they were wet all the way thru.
like i said i was next to the side and caught the rivers that flowed down my side
my bag was litterly frose to the side of the tent.
the inside was dry and warm.
i felt sorry for the guys that morning.
but not that sorry.
so for a few buck more, get a good bag.
and if you don't want to carry a pad cut some bow branches or rake up a needle pile
or rake up some leaves and stuff them in garbage bags.
any thing will work to keep you from ground contact.

SoTX - I do quite a bit of long range, pack in hunting without the help of horses, etc. I used to pack in a two man tent and sleeping bag but have settled on an army issue jungle hammock. It has mosquito netting on the sides and a nylon top, the rest is light weight canvas. When I used the tent, I would also pack in a sleeping pad since sleeping on the ground for a week starts to suck after a while. The hammock is ideal. I made some modification to make it stronger and easier to hang. Not only is it lighter than the tent, it is also less bulky, ties right on the bottom of my packboard with no problem. The site below has a picture of one, I picked mine up at the army surplus store in town.

LBR

http://militaryapparel.7p.com/jungle_hammock_1.html

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom