Sleeping pad suggestions

regularjoe

I am looking for suggestions for a new sleeping pad (inflatable), to be mostly used during summer scouting/backpacking trips. I am a "larger" side/stomach sleeper. Anyone have a recommendation or advice?

I bought a Big Agnes Air Core last year and really like it. It's about 76" long and about 3.5" thick and very comfortable. I punched a hole in it and they replaced it with no questions asked. I also use a Thermarest Neo Air pad on backpack hunts where the weight is important. The Thermarest is light and comfortable but the Big Agnes is outstanding. Hope this helps.

If you want super light and compact pad take a look at Neoair. I've used mine a lot for backpacking Alaska and the Western US. Take a look at the reviews and it will give you an idea what to expect. I sleep like a baby on my Neoair!

I'd suggest the Klymit luxe. I'm a big 6'-1" and 270 and a side sleeper and I always find myself needing a wider pad. The luxe is 30" wide and inflates to a cush 4.5" thick but only weighs 1.5#'s. I love it. It's body mapped but it's the first pad to really let me get a good nights rest. It can get cold in the 50's since mine isn't insulated but I just pack a Zrest if it's going to be cold. The insulated ones are $120 and the non insulated ones are $80. Klymit also sells their returns/refurbished ones on ebay for CHEAP if you want to save even more.

I have a big agnes air core sl, a thermal rest neo air camper, and a thermal rest neo air xlite

Recommendations kind of depend on what you want.

If you want comfort and bullet proof reliability, the neo air camper is it.
Its made of thermarests most durable material. Its also their highest comfort rated pad.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleeping-Pad-Reviews

It also comes in a 30 inch width. Most backpacking pads are 20 and 25 inch widths.

Downside, not size, not comfort. But it is heavy. Well, lets get serious. its not that heavy. But if you are a ounce counting gram pinching backpacker, its considered heavy.
It actually only weighs 24 ounces.

Now thats a lot compared to an Xlite.
12.2 ounces. So, its double. But the Xlite is not rectangular, not as thick, and not as durable.

The big agnes air core sl is ok. Its my least favorite pad of the three.

the pad reviews on outdoor gear lab are the best I have found.
Unbiased, fair, accurate.

I find that I like the neo air camper 90% of the time. When going far and light, I like the xlite.

I want to try one of the klymit body map pads, but just have not had the nuts to pull the trigger and buy it.
they look neat. super light. But I just get freaked out by all the gaps.

72logo.jpg

The neoair by thermarest is super loud if you toss and turn at night like i do. Sounds like you are sleeping on a bag of chips.

It seems to get best reviews but this is a consideration if you roll around alot. Check out in-store if you can before buying.

I have 6 or 8 mostly Thermarest and Big Agnes pads. If ultralight weight and comfortable is the primary goal, then I like the NeoAir x-lite. I would definitely try anything out in a store, as has been suggested, before you buy though.

Last year I bought the Outdoor Vitals pad and like it a lot. I'm also a side sleeper and roll around a lot and got the 25" wide one. I used to use an Exped Winterlite and a Klymit inuslated Static V pad and like the OV a little better as it's wider and has a bit more thickness. I wanted one with a little higher R value as I use it through Oct and I get cold easy. My search is done!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom