Slightly over limit ducks!

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Tom Stienstra posted this little tidbit in his 12-7 article.

"Landmark duck bust: Duck hunting success has been very poor this year in the Sacramento Valley and Bay Area's Suisun Marsh, but Fish and Game wardens reported that Peter Ciraulo of Gilroy was convicted of taking 253 ducks and 58 geese. The limits are 14 ducks and eight geese. "Not since the market poaching of the early 1900s have we seen waterfowl poaching of this scope," said Nancy Foley, Fish and Game's patrol chief. Now here's the ugly part: He was sentenced to only two years probation, fined $7,105, required to serve 100 hours of community service in waterfowl conservation, and was barred from hunting for, get this, only one year. That's right: No jail time."

Hard to imagin; That's 311 birds! pretty good shoot for 7k and didn't have to fly to South America for a week to do it. x(

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-08 AT 00:28AM (MST)[p]He must sure like duck.....Eelgrass was prolly hiding in the weeds.

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB

Once again, just a slap on the hand. He'll be back out there in no time doing it again. Scum of the earth I tell ya.

The best solution to poaching that I can come up with is: If you're caught and proven to be 100% guilty then you will simply be castrated.
I can guarantee you there will be no more poaching incidents anytime soon.

That is a disgusting sentence. We once caught a guy poaching on one of our turkey leases, and I had him arrested and pressed charges against him. The Game Warden took the case very seriously, as did the DA, that guy got a much harsher sentence which included a 3 year suspension of his hunting and fishing privileges.

Who was the judge who sentenced this POS?

That's brutal! There must have been some serious ground slucing going on.

Eel

President Obama and Congress should leave gun rights alone. It's above their pay grade.

CAelknuts, Sorry but i don't know who the judge was, article didn't say.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...hw=poached+ducks+tom+stienstra&sn=001&sc=1000

As far as i'm concerned, that sentence was a two finger slap on the wrist. How much more BS are we going to be subjected to here in kali. Seems there is no end to the eroding of our wildlife, fishing, hunting, shooting, and access to the outdoors!

Then they catch a major violater of existing laws, there to protect the very animals we all want to see flourish, and the judge lets him off with a fine that may or may not have been walking around money for the turd. It's Sick and needs Fixing but we all, myself included, mostly accept what gets dished out in the form of never ending more bad news to the outdoorsmen of this State. Sick!!!

Joey

>That's brutal! There must have been
>some serious ground slucing going
>on.
>
>Eel
>

Wait Eel.. You mean your NOT supposed to shoot them on the ground / water???? Ya know those things are hard to hit when they is flyin'..
I'm able hit alot more ducks after they land...

hey, they're just ducks......

JB
494742f95c53a850.jpg

JB is fishin' again......plick!:)

Eel

President Obama and Congress should leave gun rights alone. It's above their pay grade.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-08 AT 00:20AM (MST)[p]>JB is fishin' again......plick!:)
>
>Eel

bastard......not even a courtesy tug on the bait??

JB
494742f95c53a850.jpg

OK, so i'm bored! First off, Hope all you nimrods :) had a Merry Christmas!! I was down BSing with my Wyoming hunting partner about our hopefully upcoming Wyoming mule deer hunt and visiting family over the holiday so missed out on all the well wishes in a timely manner.

Anyway, i'm bored so was wondering if any of you guys could share stories that you've heard of concerning slightly over limit ducks. I know a couple about some guys shooting and shooting in a huge grind but only sketchy parts, maybe someone else here knows of similar events and the punishment doled out to the offenders. I'll start with one that was going around way back in my high school days.

Seems several senior ranch family classmates had access to some holding ponds that were part of the canal system that delivers our northern Cali water to So Kali. These guys baited (rumor) a pond with cracked corn and went back a few days later and with plugs still in, snuck up over the levy and ended up shooting well over a hundred mallards (fact) as they sat and on the rise. This particular bunch never did get caught but they should have. They brought their slightly over harvest right on campus and gave the birds away to whoever wanted some and back then it was the talk of the town.

There you go. Terrible story to start off with and i hope some of your stories end up with the offenders getting busted. Even though some here might get offended, this type of thing has/does go on, it's real, let's expose some of these by-gone travesties against wildlife here and it might make for some interesting, if not gruesome, eye opening amusement.

Happy New Year All!
Joey

I ain't fallin' for this ......I don't know the statute of limitations for "overharvesting".

This could be a sting operation.

We were real young, college was expensive and we needed the food money for beer, but nothing was wasted.

The park had WAY to many transient ducks and the lawn was covered in duck crap. We considered it a public service.

No firearms were involved, but I think there is some silly law about selling migratory waterfowl at play here also.

And that's all the details I am giving up.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-08 AT 02:32PM (MST)[p]Well, Thanks Nickman! I surely don't expect anybody to imply that they themselves were involved in violations in excess of common sense as well as that of the law. Fact is, we hunters as a group are probably in need of constant awareness as witnessed by all the ethics police that continually cruise these pages to scorn and verbally abuse those that even so mach as pass bad wind. We all have heard stories of "that guy" though and i thought maybe some tales of "his" or "their" bad deeds might help to get things moving around here again. :)

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom