Smoke effecting hunting?

oklahunter

Getting ready to head to the Snowies to bow hunt elk. Is the smoke up that way very bad? Does anyone have a website that monitors the smoke cover? Thanks in advance!

On
IMG_5021.jpg
My scouting trip in late July this was the view

Robb

From last weekend travel day up
IMG_5654.jpg
for bow elk hunting, same exact spot in Western Wyo, what a difference the smoke made!

Robb

I just got back from the Greys River. We scouted for a few days before the hunt and hunted 4 full days. The smoke was definitely there. It was also extremely warm. Most of the deer activity was right before dark. During the hunt the elk were extremely active for most of the days and all the nights. I can honestly say I have never seen or heard more elk action anywhere. On Wednesday morning, I had a yearling cow run so close by me that I took a swing with my trekking pole to avoid being run over.

I saw the buck I wanted at 6pm on the Monday before the opener. Despite hunting hard for the next 4 days, I never saw that buck again. I can't blame my bad luck on anything in particular. However, my declining skills could be as much of a contributing factor as warm weather, smoke or too many elk.

just sayin...mh

I just got back from the Greys River. We scouted for a few days before the hunt and hunted 4 full days. The smoke was definitely there. It was also extremely warm. Most of the deer activity was right before dark. During the hunt the elk were extremely active for most of the days and all the nights. I can honestly say I have never seen or heard more elk action anywhere. On Wednesday morning, I had a yearling cow run so close by me that I took a swing with my trekking pole to avoid being run over.

I saw the buck I wanted at 6pm on the Monday before the opener. Despite hunting hard for the next 4 days, I never saw that buck again. I can't blame my bad luck on anything in particular. However, my declining skills could be as much of a contributing factor as warm weather, smoke or too many elk.

just sayin...mh
Sounds like great management by the WYGFD that you can see so many elk and a nice buck with an OTC tag. Good luck with rest of your fall!

You are gonna have a hard time hunting in the snowies. Most of it is under evacuations right now. Some of it isn’t so there’s gonna be a few people there. Better check out where your going and the “Mullen” fire before you go.

Mullen fire is blowing up. Very large closure area extends to Highway 130 to the north. Keystone is under evac notice now, Centennial and Albany are under pre evac notice.
This fire is bad and will be bad for a while unless the weather helps out. It could run all the way NE through the forest.

Up north it seemed like the smokier the day the earlier they would run for cover in the morning. Also it seems like the sounds of the elk travel way way way further when the smoke is thick. Don't have enough data points to prove it, but those were my observations over 18 or 19 days up by Cody this year.
Cheers, Pete

My lungs and chest pain was still so bad after I got home, I did a Virtual with my Dr. and she had me do a bunch of breathing-ect stuff and she felt it certainly was from inhaling the smoke.

When I was still up hunting, I would blow my nose and it was brownish in color......

I'm doing fine now, even had surgery on last Friday (Not from inhaling smoke) and feel better already.

Robb

Been keeping a close eye on the Mullen fire since I am supposed to leave next week for a elk and deer hunt. Have a type 6 elk tag for unit 9 which is now 3/4 closed. Got a Region D deer tag too, so trying to figure out if I should stay way south to look for a cow and deer or go north of 130 to focus on a mulie buck.

Since Sunday the acreage and area reported has barely gone up on the reports but still says it's burning and moving. Hoping the weather keeps it in check and I get lucky that it may open up next week.

My first time out west so this is learning as much as hunting but still want to try to give myself a descent chance.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom