Smoking pellets

Butts

I do love grilling over straight hardwood lump charcoal, but for smoking and grilling’ with a pellet smoker what pellets do you fellas like? And why?

I run a camp chief XXL vertical smoker, love it for jerky, brisket, ribs, fish and pork butt.

looking enhance it with the best and healthiest pellets possible. I’ve done some research, however one forum says one brand.... next another, not seeing much consistency. Thanks for feedback!

I’m assuming you’re talking about the little pellets? Just get some of each. I have a row of metal trash cans full of the different flavors. :)

Not that there’s a heck of a lot of difference. It sorta riminds me of premium gas - I wonder if it’s all coming out of the same tank.

Anyway, I use more of the “blends” than anything else, mainly because I’m lazy. Traeger has a couple of these blends, and so does Walmart in a big bag.

We have a local flooring manufacturer who sells BIG pellets to the trailer smoker crowd. They were $5 a bag a couple years ago. Cheaper than firewood is in some places.

Last edited:
I like the cherry or mesquite for beef I use the Traeger smoker and apple for Pork and Lamb.
I used Pecan on my Christmas Prime ribs and they were juicy and very tasty. Pecan is a special taste

Oak primarily. Then mix in other fruit woods when I can't get ok. Fruit seems to be a nice happy medium that works for red, white, and fish meats.

I like the "Gourmet Blend" pellets from Traeger. I'm with Bluehair not really sure if there is much difference other than the name on the bag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom