Smoking Wild Game

Hawkeye

Long Time Member
What smokers are you boys using for your wilde game?

-Hawkeye-

My Favorite Expo Tag Quotes:

"t is fair to ask how much comes in with the five dollar application fees and how much went onto the ground.? Don Peay of SFW during March 31, 2005 Wildlife Board Meeting.

"There will be a full accounting of how the applications fees are spent.? Don Peay of SFW in 9/26/2006 Internet Post - http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...CForumID5&mark=8487&az=next_topic&archive=yes

Well, it depends on the product I am smoking. I use a Masterbuilt 40 MES when I smoke jerky, snack stix, or summer sausage. If I am reverse searing (smoking then searing) a steak, I use my Weber kettle. If I am smoking a roast, brisket, or dried venison, I use my Oklahoma Joe stick burner. It all depends on what is on the menu.

A home made smoker. Made of plywood and measures 4'X2'X6' tall. I can build a fire or use a propane burner for heat. 95% of my smoking is for fish. Salmon mostly.

97172deliverancebanjo.jpg

Traeger pellet grill is awesome for everything from making jerky, cooking any cut, and makes fantastic meatloafs (elk or otherwise from burger). It will change the way you BBQ!

LAST EDITED ON May-20-18 AT 10:03PM (MST)[p]I'm in the same situation...looking for a smoker. What do you guys think of electric smokers? Seems like they would be a lot cleaner and easier.

Electric smokers are definitely handy cooking tools. They allow you to do long smokes like brisket, pork shoulders, etc., without having to baby sit them overnight. The one drawback to electric smokers is the limited amount of smoking fuel they hold. There are ways around this with some hardwood pellet tubes and external smoking attachments. I use the Masterbuilt Electric 40" smoker a lot and it does great brisket, pulled pork, prime rib, babyback ribs, sausage, jerky, etc. You can set it and forget it until the meat is at temperature. The drawback is you don't get a smoke ring with a watt burner. But you do get the same great flavor and a lot of convenience.

The electric pellet smokers work great. They provide consistent temperature and smoke for the flavor. They can be a bit expensive though.

Look up Rec Tec if you want to go the pellet route. The best customer service around! They give you an after hrs number if anything goes wrong and parts priority mail. The owner called me after I ordered it to tell me what to expect when it got there and to answer any questions.

www.rectecgrills.com

I love my Traeger, slow smoked a front shoulder the other day off a mule deer...

Turned out fantastic

Fired up my Yoder Durango yesterday, feral hog shoulder and ribs with pecan wood for the smoke.
I like a stick burner but I enjoy the work that goes into using it.

I use a masterbuilt they don't hold up to weather so you don't want to leave one outside even covered also they have cheapened them up in the last few years

Here are my smoking tips:
Personally, I have a large BGE and it's been great. I use oak lump charcoal for everything, but vary the type of wood chunks and temperature based on what I'm smoking. I use hickory for beef and pork, I use alder or cedar for fish, and use cherry or apple for poultry. I tend to smoke at 180 to 225 for fish, 225 to 240 for beef and pork (although, I did ribs at 275 for 4th of July and they were amazing), and 325 for poultry (crisps up the skin better). I have a BBQ Guru temperature controller ( https://outdoormancave.com/best-bbq-temperature-controller/ ) so it keeps the pit temperature very consistent.

Prior to purchasing the BGE, I was trying hacks things like soaked wood chips in a crockpot and meat on rack above, putting foil chip pouches in my gas grill, putting cast iron chip trays in my gas grill, etc. Even put liquid smoke in injections/marinades. The results couldn't come close to the BGE.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom