Snake Boots recommendation(s)?

P.T. Jeffers

I drew a very coveted Goat tag and scouted the area a few days ago. Big 'lopes and quite a few buzz worms.

Looking for lightweight snake boots. What say you?

Odds of a lightning strike are likely better than an actual rattlesnake bite….
I stepped right on one Monday. Had short ankled leather boots, he twisted around and bit down on the mid area of boot toe. Luckily didn't have on Light shoes or sandals and...well, lightning did strike on this occasion...just didn't get injected.

Those of us that are out and about come across rattlesnakes on occasion and this wasn't the first time that I've stepped right on one....did have sandals on one time but luckily stepped right on the head, stopped and jumped back

Been hunting my entire life and have hunted some of the most snakiest country around and I've never stepped on a rattler. Maybe I just pay attention to where I walk. IMO snake boots are not needed for any western hunt. If there's a concern just wear some tall leather boots.

Look into the Crocodile Expedition gaiters from Outdoor Research. I'm using those on a NM gemsbok and speed goat hunt...

I stepped right on one Monday. Had short ankled leather boots, he twisted around and bit down on the mid area of boot toe. Luckily didn't have on Light shoes or sandals and...well, lightning did strike on this occasion...just didn't get injected.

Those of us that are out and about come across rattlesnakes on occasion and this wasn't the first time that I've stepped right on one....did have sandals on one time but luckily stepped right on the head, stopped and jumped back
Holy smokes thats terrible luck. I’ve walked through a lot of Rattlesnake country and never stepped on one.

I would rather use gaiters because most of the snake boots are heavy and bulky. The gaiters are blocky and stiff as well but are more comfortable than a knee high boot. The gaiters I have used in the past I believe were called turtle skin. I was lucky enough to never have to test the gaiters to a bite but it does put your mind at ease.

I use gaiters. I'm concerned about the dog getting into to them just because she is curious about any noise while out in the field. Hunts here start early Sept and mid Sept for birds so snakes are still out and about.

0923201023.jpg

When i lived up in Idaho i wouldnt take my dog out until late October due to her possibly being bit. I chuckar hunted a lot in the Bennett Hills and I would come across rattle snakes almost everytime I went out before mid October.

Never had much trouble with snakes on the ground...it's those that like to hang out in the sagebrush 1 1/2 foot up when I'm crawling thru on a stalk that always surprised me... nose to nose with them really gets your heart going. also watch where you put your hands. lucky for me this guy was sort of busy when I went to check the feeder.

244307624_893075267988518_8829532940072814848_n.jpg

I think many of us encounter rattlers and don't even know it. Some will start rattling when they sense your presence from several feet away, some won't rattle at all.

I almost stepped on one today, about as big a snake as a prairie rattler gets. I was in a 'snakey' area and had the wherewithal to be looking around..........but you obviously can't see 'em all. He was about a foot off the trail, never rattled at all then slunk away under some tight brush before I could dispatch him.

Again, they're out there and many times you just don't know it

Out at work on the INL, we would have them all summer around the buildings. You really needed to be careful. There is a winter den area in the lavas, and a breeding area about 2-3 miles away. They would go back and forth in June and August, and right thru the Facilities.
When we did a big Security upgrade, they put up a second boundary fence about 50-75 yards out, and sterilized all the ground between them. That actually stopped the snakes from coming across all the hot bare dirt, and they skirt around in the sagebrush now. .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom