Snake gator

UINTBB

I am looking for recommendations for snake gators while hunting.
Something to provide protection but for hiking/hunting.
Thank you.

Boots! Knock on wood....I'm in rattler country every day working and never wear snake chaps or gators. Just watch your step! I think I would be more prone to wear gators to keep the cheatgrass out of my socks!

Thank you Jims and I normally would do as you suggest, but I will be hunting in Africa where the grass will be tall and Puff Adders are abundant

My experiences from spending 5 trips over there, for a total of 15-20 weeks hunting in the bush. You will be # 3 or 4 in the line, behind your tracker (s), PH, and then you. Stay on the same trail they walk on, and they will see them before you ever do. The trackers are all scared to death of snakes, and really keep their eyes peeled for them.

Puff adders are camouflaged well, but are big and fat, and they were never a problem for me to see. The ones we found on a couple trips were all laying across the trails, in the sun where they could stretch out. They tend to strike relatively flat, so regular 8" hunting boots are plenty tall to protect your feet.

DO NOT climb up on termite mounds to get a better look around. Black mambas like to den inside them, and will crawl out to sun themselves. If the PH wants to do it, fine, but don't you do it. Wear sunglasses; you're more likely to run into some from of spitting cobra anyway. :)

A431AB37-E898-414F-87BA-E0F6EBB187B3_4_5005_c.jpeg

9531CBD4-A9EB-4D1F-847B-396183CBC170_4_5005_c.jpeg

1B627E1F-5668-4A5C-BD8E-63DAA77E6A3A_4_5005_c.jpeg

C6EF4F12-5963-4EDB-AEAD-FEE4C1610B16_4_5005_c.jpeg

83AF34D9-2D60-4473-9A5D-5A0E1224A821_1_105_c.jpeg

No for me too! Walking up on an alligator in the dark while crossing flooded road turkey hunting was the scariest moment of my adult life! Don't deal with snakes very well either!

Many thanks. Blank, most appreciative.
I've decided to use my regular gaitors for some extra protection knowing that I will be the 3rd or 4th in line.
We will be hunting in some tall grass.........Makes one think but with the taller boots and reg. gators I should be just fine.
Thanks to all.
Good hunting.

One of the scariest moments of my life happened on my leopard hunt in Namibia with hounds, many years ago. We were chasing them up a rocky mountain, and the young apprentice PH behind me who was videoing the hunt yelled "Don't move, there's a snake at your feet!!" I think I came close to a heart attack, and he was lucky enough to get my reaction on film, and also zoom in on the snake. A small zebra snake (cobra family), but it just slithered away, leaving us both scared of each other.

Blank, I hear you.
I had a close call with a Black Mamba that I ended up killing with a rock from about 8 feet, which was not as long as the snake itself.
I get shivers down my back when I recall that situation. I have also seen up close 2 Puff Adders and a Spitting Cobra.
I am permanently reminded of my mortality because of these experiences.
Blessings.

Can’t recommend a gator but carry a stick or rock at least .

Got caught with my pants down early season scouting last year with my son.

I’m half deaf almost 50 and well my eyes were on antelope , dam near stepped on a big rattlesnake.

My son yelled at me or I’d been on the coil
Shat my pants not really but close.
He looked to be as big around as a tuna can.

I have a pair of sent blocker ones they are nice but hot when wearing them I also run a pair of lacrosse snake boots they ate comfortable and not as hot as gaiters.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom