Snake River Unit Outfitter Review/Recommendation

bayduckhunter

With 16 NR elk points, I'm looking to book an outfitter for a drop camp in the Snake River unit. Del Sol is booked until next year. I'm waiting to hear back from Hells Canyon Packers. I haven't heard back from Steens. I've spoken with Eagle Cap. Annette seems to be responsive and friendly over the phone. She'd indicated Eagle Cap as of a couple of years ago is now Moss Springs. I can't find much on them. Has anyone any history or information they can pass along?

Last edited:
I hunt Snake every year. I would recommend Steens Wilderness Adventures or Del Sol Wilderness Adventures. Shawn has packed me in on 2 archery elk hunts and a bear hunt. He's a different dude but very good at what he does. My wife has 10 resident elk points and after I cash in my points on one of the "Big 3" we will team up and hunt Snake River rifle elk. Shawn packs the northern end of the unit and Del Sol packs the southern end. I prefer hunting the Northern end and that's why I've used Shawn. I know people who have used Del Sol and love them. Will be a tough call who we will use when we do the rifle hunt.

Go with Steens or Del sol. Both have great areas and great bulls. Shawn Steen is a great hunter with tons of knowledge of that area. If you hunt his area do exactly what he says to do and you will have a great hunt.

PM me and I can help without having to hire a guide for the Snake. We've done it with and without stock.

I hate to say anything negative because it's been so long. But I did a drop camp a long time ago with Moss Springs and it was a mess. Hunting was what we made of it since it's a drop camp. But it was suppose to be an outfitted drop camp with wall tent, cook gear, lanterns etc. Anyway a mess. However is was over ten years ago so a lot can change but that was my experience.

Dave how did your Snake river ttip go? I was wondering if you found a guide?
We got fogged In then snowed out pretty bad. We only had two days of hunting before we had to leave. We had 20 inches at camp and the forecast was calling for another 12-18 inches.
I have mules and all the packing stuff so I was never looking for a guide.

We got fogged In then snowed out pretty bad. We only had two days of hunting before we had to leave. We had 20 inches at camp and the forecast was calling for another 12-18 inches.
I have mules and all the packing stuff so I was never looking for a guide.
That was definitely a brutal conditions season. We stayed the duration, but without excellent gear and snow shoes, would have been limited to sitting in camo and feeding the wood stove!

Back
Top Bottom