Snake River Unit

unclebuck

Just looking for opinions on this unit for deer and elk.Has anyone ever used Shaun Steens as a packer?
Thanks UB

Great outfitter! Ran across a few of their camps up there, and everyone was pleased with them...the only thing is they pack quite a few people into the same area out of Hat point.

muleyman

How good is this unit??? I've got 7 NR points and horses. I've heard good things about it but also understand there is a spike season the week before the any bull season. Building another point this year but its one unit I'm considering when I have room in my schedule.

I think you'd be wasting your points if you have seven, because I believe it only takes 3 or 4 to draw.

I'll never get to Walla Walla or Weneha so I don't care if I over point it. Does Oregon average amongst party members??

I started out applying for elk after my dad, daughter and I drew cow tags on "00" and planned on hunting high desert, ES because of the longer season while he was playing football in HS. Now we both have 7 points, 8 next year. My girlfriend is gonna PP it this year so will we average 5 as a party next year????

They do average points among party members. However, Oregon uses it's own math to round points (.51 rounds up, .50 rounds down)....Good luck on the High desert tag. It can be very, very tough to find animals.

Trout. I realize it (HD) isn't the best but with my son playing football and it being either sex, I figured it was the best for us. Had 2 different friends I know both tag out with partners. Thats 4 for 4, 3 bulls.

Football's over for him so that doesn't matter anymore.

With stock, I always look for areas/units where they'll give me an advantage and thats why I asked about snake. Wasn't trying to steal the post but looks like I did, sorry.

Elkslayer,Don't worry about taking over the thread. Its all interesting anyway. I wont mention how many points I'll be burning for this unit.I have hunted it for deer and know what I'm getting into. UB

Good luck uncle. In my opinion, it doesn't matter how many points you use for a tag. Just that you get what you want from the hunt. Since Ore has the lastest application dates, I've usually planned/committed on other states by the time I apply for Ore. Thats why I've accumulated so many points there. Antelope points will probably never be enough, deer points will come in handy for a good tag once and since I've taken 6 Oregon elk, I know there's elk there. just not managed for quality.

Cal:

I think you are probably right on antelope. Most of us will maybe get one more hunt. Elk has some decent options, although calf ratios are a big problem in many areas. still some good hunts for decent bulls, but not sure that will still be true ten years from now.

Mule deer are a disaster, and getting worse. Talked to someone who attended the high desert regional biologists meeting last week. Told me population counts were terrible for mule deer, same for fawn/doe ratios. I don't know of a quality regular season mule deer hunt in Oregon at the present time. Maybe in Minam, as far as big bucks, but you won't see many deer. Still some good hunting on private ranches, but expensive. The new November hunts will be decent, but likely harder to draw than a sheep tag.

Now I am depressed.

Scoutdog

Thats how I I'm looking at it,looking to spend some quality time with my son and maybe kill a bull or two. Don't have much else planned this year so might as well burn some points.I do have 11 points for antelope, but agree that still is a shot in the dark but something to hope for.

Back
Top Bottom