Snowmobiles

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Any members here knowledgeable in snowmobiles? Been many years since I have been on one. And even then it was one I rented and only once or twice a year.
Looking for information on a good utility type sled to use snow camping, pull a small sled, predator hunt, and use fishing. Not looking for fast or bad a$$. Looking for reliability and hopefully east to work on myself. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

Craiglist has bunch.
We had them growing up best fun you can have with your clothes on,
My nephews use them all winter for check cows and such.
They shine when hunting coyotes.

The Best Ones For That Type of Use are Rare Or Wore Out & Gone!

We Liked The Air Cooled Machines For Putting Around Looking For Tracks!

Most Modern Day Machines Won't Even Idle That Slow!

Most Machines Have Been Liquid Cooled For Many Years Now!

You Gotta Get Them Out In The Snow Quite Often To Keep The Engine Cool Depending On Temperatures!

I Don't Know What Would Be Available In Newer Machines That Would Fit Your Needs of Use?

I'd Check In To Machines That Are Made For Some Of Alaska's Needs & Uses Of Machines!

The Best Ones For That Type of Use are Rare Or Wore Out & Gone!

We Liked The Air Cooled Machines For Putting Around Looking For Tracks!

Most Modern Day Machines Won't Even Idle That Slow!

Most Machines Have Been Liquid Cooled For Many Years Now!

You Gotta Get Them Out In The Snow Quite Often To Keep The Engine Cool Depending On Temperatures!

I Don't Know What Would Be Available In Newer Machines That Would Fit Your Needs of Use?

I'd Check In To Machines That Are Made For Some Of Alaska's Needs & Uses Of Machines!
Thanks
Seems like now a days (even with ATV/utv’s) speed is the selling point. Hard to find a reliable workhorse anymore.

I think All The Manufactures are Still Building Utility Machines!

I'm Sure They're Like Cadillac's Compared to what We Use To Run!

I'd Study Google & YouTube!

Everybody Now Days Want 200+ HorsePower!

Then They Gotta Turbo Them!

Wondering When The E-Machine Will Show Up?:D

Any brands you prefer, or would avoid?
I remember years ago I would find 3 or 4 burned up remains of Polaris machines in the back country. Not sure if the issues were brand related, user error, or just more people used Polaris.

I Think Most Brands Are Perty Good!

The Bad Part Is They're Like Most Newer Vehicles,Lot's Of Electronics That Can & Will Cause Trouble Sooner Or Later!

That'd Be A Ford,Dodge,GM Argument But I'd Put My Personal Likes Yamaha,Polaris,Ski-Doo,Arctic Cat!

I'm Not Up On The Newer Machines Enough For Advice On Which Ones To Avoid!

Any brands you prefer, or would avoid?

my buddies who are big into ice fishing all run the Skidoo expeditions. very comfy, can pull heavy loads behind with ease. Skidoo engine is incredibly reliable especially on those sleds. I personally will stick to my Turbo in the mountains, but if youre looking for a utility type sled, take a look at those

You might ask on the Alaska Forum, for people who do exactly what you are wanting to do. They use them for hours on end, and on a daily basis so they might have some better input

I hate snowmobiles, with that said. I’ve hunted lions with my hounds for over 25 years. You have, to have a snowmobile. I’d either buy a new Skidoo Tundra or look for an old Polaris Trail Indy 500 fan cooled. If you by a new Tundra & baby It should last 20 years.

image.jpg

Last edited:
My suggestion is avoid a trail sled in the Sierra cement unless you stick to groomed trails. You can go with a track in the 140s and be fine going off trail and won’t have trouble maneuvering in tighter places. Just let the snow settle before you go crazy. You probably don’t need tracks in the 150-160s but you might want a mt sled once you start riding. It’s awesome.

What do you like better about the ATV with tracks? Wonder how much work it would be to swap from tires to tracks when out camping? Might be the way to go on my ‘08 Rhino.

I was in the same boat as you, needed a work horse rather than speed. Sold the snowmobile and haven't looked back. I can install them in about an hour and take them off in 30 minutes.
I've ran 2 different sets for the last 15 years, and haven't had any breakdowns due to the tracks.
Can they go everywhere a sled can go? No, but they get me everywhere I want to go with ample amounts of gear.

Ski doo skandic sport 600. Lightweight, sounds like they are reliable and remarkably floaty and manueverable. From what i hear.

$10k brand new. No used sled horse trading needed.

Everybody Now Days Want 200+ HorsePower!

Then They Gotta Turbo Them!

Wondering When The E-Machine Will Show Up?:D

When I was doing electrical work at Lake hotel in yellowstone we traveled by snowmobile. We had to use 4 strokes. Park service used 2 stroke machines plus they had turbos. Interesting how they held that standard.

I was in the same boat as you, needed a work horse rather than speed. Sold the snowmobile and haven't looked back. I can install them in about an hour and take them off in 30 minutes.
I've ran 2 different sets for the last 15 years, and haven't had any breakdowns due to the tracks.
Can they go everywhere a sled can go? No, but they get me everywhere I want to go with ample amounts of gear.
I also run tracks, on a ‘07 Grizzly.
Use it for play, Elk hunts, and ice fishing.
Not a single problem in 6 yrs.

772202F1-FA13-46A9-8C53-94D7DADE5821.jpeg

20E2F87F-BF4A-4BE0-A554-A316FE37E670.jpeg

EF0F9592-7A8D-4F61-A6E8-7F16297CC628.jpeg

It isn't about the speed, want speed, buy a snowmobile. They're geared low, you end up going about 2/3 what your speedometer says you're going.
You may check the newer tracks to see since I know my brothers older tracks on his can am would only go around 30 mph! Since recently upgrading he can now go 50 or so with no problem! There is also a company that makes a speedometer correction that can be calibrated for your tracks or back to tires with a simple reprogram.

A Ski Doo Skandic wide track is the only utility machine I would buy, they make a fan cooled and a liquid cooled. I have towed my hounds many miles, then put thousands of miles tracking Wolves. The four wheelers with tracks are junk if it’s deep and steep
ED987AD6-2A81-4B69-86E9-5246F3BC5BA6.jpeg

SWEET!

Where Were you hunting Bulls That Late In The Year hawk?
That was the harsh winter of 2018. I was hunting Wolves and the snow was deep, the big mature Bulls were stuck in high mountain creek beds where starvation first starts to set in and then when the Wolves can start walking on top of the snow they make quick work of taking them down. I picked up nine nice racks that winter. One day hiking out at 1:00 in the afternoon I watched a pack of Wolves take down this Bull who had just lost his antlers, they were about 1700 yds from me when I took the photo.
A240C994-DDEE-496E-8583-53E1B45E6229.jpeg
B35268E3-814A-4950-8A79-6672DAA348C1.jpeg

DAMN!

We Were Hunting The Winter of 92-93 Here & The Coyotes Were Doing The Same Thing To Our Deer Herd!

You'd Of Had To Been There To See The Damage!

I Tried To Get A Few Different Game Officials To At Least Ride Back In Where We Were Hunting But Nobody Wanted Any Part of it!

SAD!

The Snow Was Way Deep That Winter With a Crust On Top!

Deer Would Fall Through & The Coyotes Run On Top!

They Didn't Even Have To Run!

They Could Walk Right up to Them & Start Gnawin on the Deer!

Hey LIK2HNT!

I'd Take hawkbills advice on the SKANDIC!

For The Machine Pulling The Dogs & Dog Box!

The Friend We Hunted With Had One (SKI-DOO WIDETRACK!)

They Were Called SKANDICS Back When We Were Hunting as Well!

I'll Bet They Are Way Better Now!

My Friend Liked His Because It Had Reverse!

The Thing I Do Remember Is You Don't Wanna Get That Big Heavy SOB Stuck,When That Machine Is Stuck You Best Have Some Buddies To Help You Get It UN-STUCK!:D

Then I'd Get one Or two Lighter Machines for Cuttin Tracks!

Doesn't Hurt To Have An Extra Sled around!

Hard snow flat fields time to go coyote hunting for sure.
got have some speed to run them down.
Speed is for the young that heal fast. 40 plus years ago I had friends get hurt going to fast on sleds. Hard to see the terrain in front of you an a sunny day from the glare. Slow and steady now. Takes A LOT longer to heal now a days. ?

Yep still have a scar or 2 from those wild rides and jumps we did when we was bulletproof. My first machine was a John Deere X8 if I remember correctly early 70's

So MrShane?

Is Your GRIZZLY a 660?

And How Fast Will It Reasonably go Without Winding It Tight?
It is the fuel injected 700.
About 20 mph is comfortable but I travel even slower than that usually or shanty gets beat around pretty good.
If I remember correctly 28 was top speed.
Rode a snowmobile for many years but I only have one hand and as I get older riding snowmobiles with one hand really wears me out fast.
This Grizzly lets me putt around and just enjoy being out.
I put a Speed Healer on it to keep my speedo and odometer correct.
Without a Speed Healer your miles clock up twice as fast.

Yamahas longevity isn’t bad if you plan on keeping a snow machine for the long haul. Still wish I had my old John Deere liquid fire for those dry ground, partially melted off spring lion hunts

98366BE2-0191-4DAF-9280-92000C548617.jpeg

Tracks can be a little rough on equipment. Just grenaded the transmission in a Polaris ranger a couple weeks ago. Expensive problem to have. Power steering seems to work fine. I’ll be taking a hard look at Can Am in the future.

Make Sure you Get Yourself 3 Dozen Mouse Traps with The CAN-AM!

Tracks can be a little rough on equipment. Just grenaded the transmission in a Polaris ranger a couple weeks ago. Expensive problem to have. Power steering seems to work fine. I’ll be taking a hard look at Can Am in the future.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom