So, Back To The Lion Tag Ammendment.....

Is the quota often met? If not, why even have it?

Is it because OTC lion tags are just too politically sensitive?

I Doubt the Quota in the Book Cliffs has been Reached on several different years!

BE-F'N-LIEVE Me it gets Hunted!

You can Raise the Quota to 1,000 out there & You Change Nothing!

But alot of Joe Blow Hunters that don't even Venture in to the Woods in the Winter will be Satisfied!

I believe the issue is the female lions.
They hammer the deer and no one harvests them.....everyone wants big Toms.
In NM they've got special Ibex tags that you can get outside of the regular draw by getting a female first. It's their way of incentivizing guys to kill the females.

I wonder if there is some sort of inventive they could come up with to get guys to kill female lions too?

In NM they've got special Ibex tags that you can get outside of the regular draw by getting a female first. It's their way of incentivizing guys to kill the females.

I wonder if there is some sort of inventive they could come up with to get guys to kill female lions too?
Excellent way to give incentives, I will pass that along to a few key people.

No sir you are all wrong. Outfitters in the books have no problem killing females. They all cost the same to kill.

The GOOD/Old Time Hounders Ain't Shootin No F'N Females!

The Newbie Hounders will Kill Females & Kittens & Parade them around Town Like they're some kinda F'N Hero!

The Kitten Killers might as Well Get Yourselves a Doe Tag to Along with Your BS!

Allow guys with deer tags to put that tag on a lion. Or open up an otc spot and stock hunt. If anyone honestly thinks lions aren’t a huge problem for the deer herd they’re crazy. Killing more lions would have a major positive impact on deer numbers without question. See them more and more. Females and juvenile cat numbers seem extremely high in some of the areas I’ve spent a good amount of time in. Lots of cats, seeing them every year. There was/is a well known group of 6, yes 6 cats running together, numerous guys had seen them. Not a mamma with kittens either, mamma with big ass juvenile’s. So let’s see, one area 6 cats. Let’s be over the top conservative, 6x30=180 deer a year. Hell there ain’t 180 deer on the winter range. Those numbers don’t work for anyone, deer or cats. Now the cats are cruising down in the house’s looking for food. Bottom line, there’s too many.

So to answer you question the book cliffs has met there quota 4 out of the last 5 years...
And if I remember right there was other units that had already met their quota this year and they reopen it to issue more tags...

We have a really big problem lions look at the 2018 annual report they treed somewhere around 4600 lions in that year..

Here is just a little bit of what I just wrote the Wildlife Board,

"Years ago in Cedar City, during a RAC meeting, we were required to attend for one of the first Dedicated Sportsmen meetings, I was sitting with the largest group of sportsmen I have seen. They were even in the hallway. There was well over 100 in attendance. One of the subjects was cougar hunting. A DWR Biologist said that cougar hunting was not helping the deer herd. There I was with 100 other sportsmen and very upset waiting for someone to say something. Not a word from the whole bunch. I raised my hand and said what the heck are you talking about!! I cannot believe what I just heard! He said he needed to expand (lions are not like geese and mate for life) and a tom can handle many females. He said some times when there are a lot of toms they will kill each other and if you are not going to shoot females why do it".

I went on to tell the wildlife board I hope the small number of lion permits increase was not too few too late. When research shows in the 30% fawn survival rate on some units are what we have in Utah and 60% survival rate is what we need to keep a deer herd. You do the math.

Are these tags available to non resident I'll go chase them. I've looked to find something about this topic I can't find anything

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom