SO. CALI. BOYS

S

scottyboy

Howdy to all. I have'nt posted in a good while and just thought since I have'nt seen anything to reply to, I'd post something new and see if y'all had any info that you could give up. This fall, myself and a coworker are going to load the dogs up and head over to So. Cali. to do a little quail hunting. Problem is that we've never been over there before and would love to know any areas that are worth visiting. We are coming from Tucson, so anywhere in the southern part of the state is going to be a possibility. I just want to go over there and bag a few Valley quail and a few Mountain Quail. Several of our coworkers are from Calexico and say that there are some Valley quail down in that area but they did'nt know about any Mountain quail. I have read several articles about places over there where you can bag both species in the same area. Hopefully, we can find a few of those spots!! Those two species are the last I need to be able to say that I've harvested all of the quail species huntable in the U.S. Also, if we are sucessful, one of my shorthairs will have the distinction of setting a covey of all the species of quail, so that will kinda be a special moment for eveyone, including that old dog of mine Hope to here from all of y'all out there. Thanks
Scottyboy

LAST EDITED ON May-31-04 AT 07:13AM (MST)[p]Just to prime you a little bit, here's a couple of last seasons little flushers and my favorite bird hunting partner. Check your PM.

171Mountain_and_Valley_Quail_1-4-04_001a.jpg

171Calibur_Lockwood_Valley_Quail2b_10-26-03.jpg

I have family in Lake Arrowhead Ca. in the San Bernardino Mts. I Quail hunted there many years ago. I saw and shot a lot of what I thought to be California Quail, they may have been Valley Quail, I don't know. Those I found lower in the mts. Brushey areas, always near water. The Mtn. Quail I found higher up in the mtns. in the forest zone, in places that look like they would hold Ruffeys except there are no Ruffeys in that part of Cali. again always near water.OH yea, I also shot a few Bandtail pigeons while hunting Mountain Quail, so look out for those things too. I don't even know if you can hunt Mtn. Quail there anymore, I heard something about them closing the Mtn. Quail season, but I don't know for sure. Try the Lake Silverwood area near Crestline Ca. Wow, I just spewed out some helpful information, someone slap some sense into me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom