So, what Elk unit did you apply for...?

chipc

Very Active Member
After all the discussion on where to apply, one unit vs another, preference points, etc, etc... its interesting to hear what you guys decided to do. Its a loooong time between hunts for us NR so sometimes guys are more likely to share. I'm in for 4B early archery with 12 PP. GOOD LUCK. Chip

NR zero points, 10early archery and 19a early archery. Starting over. I think I have my loyalty point sooooo, 1.

12 points, resident. 1,2B,2C and 3A,3C early archery
Ed, you have a pretty dang good chance of drawing unit 1 early archery with 12 points. You may even draw in the bonus point pass. gohunt shows that at 100% draw odds from last year and 75% for 3a/3c. if you don't draw i would be very surprised.

After all the discussion on where to apply, one unit vs another, preference points, etc, etc... its interesting to hear what you guys decided to do. Its a loooong time between hunts for us NR so sometimes guys are more likely to share. I'm in for 4B early archery with 12 PP. GOOD LUCK. Chip
Chip I think you'll draw 4b with 12 points. I know Daniel Franco helped you with your big 3c mule deer. He is also a wealth of knowledge for 4b so keep him in mind. He knows his stuff better than anyone i've ever met.

Burned my points in 2017 so only got 4 now. But monkey wrench in my selections was I blew out my left shoulder bad and could not get an MRI due to pacemaker. So I had no idea if I should stick to archery. Ended up waffling to Unit 1 late rifle & 6A archery. I'll only have ~7% chance of drawing anyway.

Ed, you have a pretty dang good chance of drawing unit 1 early archery with 12 points. You may even draw in the bonus point pass. gohunt shows that at 100% draw odds from last year and 75% for 3a/3c. if you don't draw i would be very surprised.
Lol I thought the same thing last year. This year there are fewer tags in both units so I believe those odds are gonna slide a bit but I’m hopeful..,,,again

Lol I thought the same thing last year. This year there are fewer tags in both units so I believe those odds are gonna slide a bit but I’m hopeful..,,,again
yeah it's definitely not guaranteed that's for sure. but you have pretty dang good odds.

unit 9 and 3a/c early archery with 10 point for both my son and myself. I am sure I will be waiting a few more years but you never know.

This one made it through the archery and muzzy hunt last year.....can’t wait to see him in my field again this summer! Terrible photo taken from my deck with my phone.....through a bino! :)

A0FA267A-6E51-4D75-B8A8-788F502150D3.jpeg

For me: Non-Res 15 points 23S-Archery / 10 Archery
My son: Non-Res 14 points 23S-Archery / 10 Archery
Other two sons: points only

We already have a hunt lined up for September but we would hold off on that hunt if one of us got lucky in the random draw.

I wouldnt miss putting in again, but I went with 1st = 7E and 2nd = 7W with only 1 pt I thought I might have a better shot at getting a tag. I am gonna try to get a Hunter Ed point one of these days. I sure had fun last season!

Resident 5 points. Early rifle unit 10 (1st choice) and Late rifle unit 8 (2nd). Best of luck to those who applied. This year I decided to apply solo.

oops - I double checked and I actually put in 1=7W 2=7E 3=3B anyway, it's a long shot. Antelope is also a long shot with 14 pts: 1=5B 2=10 3=17B/19B 4=18A.

There’s always a chance. I put my partner in for Unit 8 early archery two years ago and he drew with 3 points.

So I’m kinda liking that nobody put 5BN - hopefully this a complete representation of the entire applicant pool. Ha!

1 Point NR. Hunted AZ once in 1999 and just started putting in again last year. 5A and 6A early archery. I am having a knee replacement in March so since I will be gimped up I'll probably draw.

23n 23s early archery with 12 points.
Only want to head south if I win the lottery as I have a near sure thing in wy 54-9 with 11points this year.

Cheers, Pete

1 Point NR. Hunted AZ once in 1999 and just started putting in again last year. 5A and 6A early archery. I am having a knee replacement in March so since I will be gimped up I'll probably draw.

Well my Dr. just called and said that even though he and the hospital are both in network, my insurance doesn't cover knee replacements there - the fallout of a giant insurance company battle here in Pittsburgh. Four months of research and a few hundred in appointments and tests out the window. So looks like my surgery is off.

This will also likely eliminate my chances of being drawn. ;)

23N and 9 both archery early with 15pts as NR. Boy things have changed since my last tag. Drew 9 archery with 10pts in 06. Odds and points to draw keep getting worse and worse. More than likely have one last time in Arizona before I get too old to pull the bow back. LOL

Its because hunting is a dying sport...sure would hate to see the odds when it comes off life support
I get the sarcasm in your post, but I think it would be interesting to know if the increase in applicants is due to the fact that existing hunters have more discretionary income and can afford to apply versus new hunters jumping on board.

I took my 23 NR points and just applied for another bonus point this year. Same for my son, though he only has 5 or 6 points after drawing a few years back. Not a good year for us to draw with other stuff already planned.

What are you holding out for? It's apparently a rifle hunt as you'd be in the bonus pool for any archery hunt except for maybe 23N

10 rut rifle and then 1 rut muzzy with 14 resident bonus points, one can dream :)
21 NR points, Units 9 and 10 early archery. Do I have a decent chance?

What are you holding out for? It's apparently a rifle hunt as you'd be in the bonus pool for any archery hunt except for maybe 23N

Not sure if you were asking me or someone else. If you were asking me, I’m most likely holding out for early rifle or muzzleloader in unit 9. I’m going to be trying to kill my biggest bull yet (biggest to date grossed 386), so 9 is a logical choice. Plus, I’ve been on 3 elk hunts in that unit so know it fairly well. I may opt to go archery, and since I have a torn rotator cuff, I’ll qualify for a crossbow permit. Unit 23 is another possibility but i haven’t hunted it before. I don’t care for unit 10 nearly as much, so doubt I’d apply there.

CAelknuts I was asking you since you had so many points. I'm not sure how close you are to the bonus pool but hope you get in and out before I do.
I'm a few years behind you still

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom