So what stops you from going?

billc

So for guys on the fence what stops you from going to africa? I was unsure about going my first time but after that trip I was hooked. I have heard so many reason for guys not going and some are just so off base.

It’s been a few reasons for me:

1) a lot of high fenced operations. When I finally found one that wasn’t when I called back his wife answered and revealed something I didn’t know. She told me her husband would have to call me back because they had just bought some XX animal and were unloading them. In two previous talks he never mentioned that. He was a referral from a friend who went with him and is constantly preaching fair chase

2) Desire to hunt those animals. It’s just not there. It’s increased lately but still not something I’ve dreamed about. I’ve even read a lot of the popular books about hunting Africa. Didn’t do it for me, great books though.

3) Finding someone to go with. All my friends are kinda like me, we like our beer cold and the sound of elk bugling in the fall. We don’t give two Bidens about anything outside the good old USA.

I know cost would be on a lot of peoples list but I’ve found in my limited research Africa to be affordable compared to Yukon or AK hunts. Heck we have drop off DIY moose hunts going for 12,500 these days. ?

☝️Plenty of great stuff to hunt in the US. Would like to hunt Alaska before I call it quits. Always wanted to do a DIY float hunt for moose. Have all the rafts and gear, but my friend and I could never make it work the last 10 years or so. Maybe after retirement.

It’s been a few reasons for me:

1) a lot of high fenced operations. When I finally found one that wasn’t when I called back his wife answered and revealed something I didn’t know. She told me her husband would have to call me back because they had just bought some XX animal and were unloading them. In two previous talks he never mentioned that. He was a referral from a friend who went with him and is constantly preaching fair chase

2) Desire to hunt those animals. It’s just not there. It’s increased lately but still not something I’ve dreamed about. I’ve even read a lot of the popular books about hunting Africa. Didn’t do it for me, great books though.

3) Finding someone to go with. All my friends are kinda like me, we like our beer cold and the sound of elk bugling in the fall. We don’t give two Bidens about anything outside the good old USA.

I know cost would be on a lot of peoples list but I’ve found in my limited research Africa to be affordable compared to Yukon or AK hunts. Heck we have drop off DIY moose hunts going for 12,500 these days. ?
I hear you loud and clear but there is places to go that are fenced and not stocked or places in some countries that are just not fenced.

2 is a personal thing as well as 3 but I have met some great new friends taking them on there first african trip.

and yes cost is all based on what you want to hunt but africa can be a great deal overall.

Hope one day you make it over there as all hunters should go once I think

☝️Plenty of great stuff to hunt in the US. Would like to hunt Alaska before I call it quits. Always wanted to do a DIY float hunt for moose. Have all the rafts and gear, but my friend and I could never make it work the last 10 years or so. Maybe after retirement.
yup I agree plenty of stuff right here to hunt. We all know it is getting harder to draw tags though and cost of some places in the states have just gotten stupid.

Hope you ge to do that moose hunt one day

I have done 3 safaris, in SA and Namibia. None were behind a fence. I checked that ahead of time.

The experience is incredible, and I look forward to going back one day soon. I really want to hunt “Wild” Africa. Zambia, Tanzania, some parts of Zim. Next time I go, I’ll be following Buffalo tracks. Real Buffalo… not the S. African Buffalo where they price them by the inch of horn.

Everyone who loves hunting should go to Africa. If I could go every year I’d be almost willing to give up hunting in the US. Awesome place!

The high fence thing is really an overblown concern. Some of the ranches in South Africa are 90k acres or more. You can drive for miles/hours and not see the perimeter fence. That said, I personally would avoid the small fenced places.

It’s very easy to find great hunting in wide open spaces with no fences. Most of Zimbabwe is wide open. I’ve never seen a fence on my Zim hunts. Same with Zambia, it’s mostly wide open spaces. No fences in Mozambique either and all those countries have wonderful options for a first African safari.

As much as I love North American hunting, and I’ve been fortunate to do a lot of it, there is nothing I’d rather do than hunt in Africa. For those who haven’t been, you owe it to yourself to experience it at least once.

I’d happily help anyone who is interested but needs some advice or help setting up their first hunt.

There is plenty of unfenced africa but there is plenty of fenced area that is good hunting also. My rule is as long as it is 5000 acres or bigger I am ok with hunting there.

I myself have just made it I will never hunt a sable or buff in SA behind fence. I have yet to be on a fenced area were I thought they would be much of a hunt.

I get kinda pissed every year when the draws are all wrapped up. Been playing the draw a tag game a long, long time now. Drew some good ones, some not so good ones and hunt different forms of OTC everyyear. One thing I really like about Africa is if you want to hunt it, you can. No 30 plus years to draw the damn tag. Also, the few professionals I've hunted with over there have a passion for hunting that's hard to describe, over the top!

I want to go to Africa to shoot a kudu warthog and zebra. Who do you guys recommend and what time of year

PM is fine

Last edited:
I want to go to Africa to shoot a kudu warthog and zebra. Who do you guys recommend and what time of year?
Go to Namibia. It’s the perfect first, or 10th Safari destination. The requirements to become a PH in Namibia, and Zimbabwe are the most stringent in existence. You literally cannot go wrong by going with any well established outfit in Namibia.
Kudu
Gemsbok
Springbok
Warthog
Mountain Zebra
Burchell Zebra in a few areas.

Lots and lots of unfenced areas to hunt.

This was the very first day on my first safari. Some days are days you will never forget. Central Namibia.

BB688861-E5D7-45D2-8042-88236A3BA1BC.jpeg

I want to go to Africa to shoot a kudu warthog and zebra. Who do you guys recommend and what time of year

PM is fine
I would say namibia for sure. I hunt with Pieter delport and that is were I take guys or send them there. He has both zebra but the burchel will be behind fence as the mtn zebra is native. Mtn zebra does take some extra paperwork to get back to the states.. I would tell you to add a red hartebeest and oryx for a really fun hunt. He has some cull add on that are cheap to. You want to chat more you can Pm me or ask any question you may have right here.

My trip this year I passed on alot of kudu that just needed another year or 2 for what I was after. Been over so many times I am looking for 56 or bigger now only. I took this one my first trip with him

P6290268.JPG

SS!, Namibia is an excellent destination.

However, if you’d also like to be around dangerous game (it does add another dimension, even if not hunting them) consider both Zimbabwe and Mozambique. There are excellent options for the animals you mentioned but you’ll also see elephants, buffalo, lions and if you’re fortunate perhaps leopard and rhino. On a 2018 hunt in the Kafue region of Zambia, I was only hunting a few antelope but no dangerous game; yet we had an unseen elephant trumpet loudly in the dark at 4:30 in the morning as we drove past it on our way to look for a Sitatunga. On the same hunt, we were walking back to the truck at almost dark when five lions stood up from the grass at about 40 yards. You only get those experiences if you hunt where DG is present.

I helped a friend on his first safari, from which he returned home 2 weeks ago. He and his grandson shot a bag that included kudu, warthog and zebra. But he talks the most about seeing Dangerous Game while hunting plains game.

i couldn’t imagine going to Africa and there isn’t dangerous game nearby!

I’ll send some PMs soon, gotta get that Sunday work done!

well there is dangerous game in namibia just not on all parts of it. leopard are area but lions elephant and buff are up north cost a little more to hunt the real wild namibia but there is areas there.here is some pictures of a 10 day hunt pieter did last month in caprvi area he hunts. was father and 2 sons they did very well

Nice thing about namibia it is easier to get trophy's home then some other places.

295379722_1228269521303134_1483452114080977850_n.jpg

296359839_595491575307530_3146930425088116895_n.jpg

The price.
The only thing I would be interested in hunting over there
I cant afford.
Buffalo, Croc, Leopard, Lion, etc...
I hear you big 5 or 7 cost alot. I enjoy plains game just as much and it has been better then waiting to see if I draw a tag out west.

i couldn’t imagine going to Africa and there isn’t dangerous game nearby!

I’ll send some PMs soon, gotta get that Sunday work done!
There are some areas in Zimbabwe that you might look at, if you want to have good Plains game numbers, and hunt amongst buffalo, Leopards, etc.
Specifically some conservancy areas that would be amazing to hunt.

I'm on the fence about it. More of a hunt for food type, and not to just the kill.
The trophy would be amazing, I can't justify the killing and just leaving the meat behind for other's
Maybe you are able to get it all home and that's the education id need to make the trip.
no way to bring mat home. It does suck because they do all taste good. We have been eating more each trip when over but you are mainly hunting to hunt

Cost has always been the preventative factor for me. I hear about how great of a deal Africa can be, but I don't know anyone that has gone over recently that when the entire trip was all said and done, (flights, hunts, tips, taxidermy work, etc.) they did it for less than $15-20K. I realize that one moose costs that in Alaska, so killing 6-10 animals for that same cost is very much a "good deal." But $20K is still $20k. I wish I had that to spend on a big hunt every few years, but I do not.

I have been putting money aside for a trip to Zimbabwe and Zambia for personal reasons. My trip is connected to other things that will dictate when it happens, so I'm hoping there are hunts available for me to book while there. The hunts don't necessarily have to be in Zimbabwe and/or Zambia. I'd be open to anywhere in the vicinity that meets the need. I really want to kill a gemsbok and my brother will have a kudu as his top animal. Other plains game added in, of course. I want to bring the gemsbok back for a full shoulder mount, I'm thinking euro mounts for anything else. I'm greatly looking forward to it, and hope it all works out the way I envision it in my brain.

Cost has always been the preventative factor for me. I hear about how great of a deal Africa can be, but I don't know anyone that has gone over recently that when the entire trip was all said and done, (flights, hunts, tips, taxidermy work, etc.) they did it for less than $15-20K. I realize that one moose costs that in Alaska, so killing 6-10 animals for that same cost is very much a "good deal." But $20K is still $20k. I wish I had that to spend on a big hunt every few years, but I do not.

I have been putting money aside for a trip to Zimbabwe and Zambia for personal reasons. My trip is connected to other things that will dictate when it happens, so I'm hoping there are hunts available for me to book while there. The hunts don't necessarily have to be in Zimbabwe and/or Zambia. I'd be open to anywhere in the vicinity that meets the need. I really want to kill a gemsbok and my brother will have a kudu as his top animal. Other plains game added in, of course. I want to bring the gemsbok back for a full shoulder mount, I'm thinking euro mounts for anything else. I'm greatly looking forward to it, and hope it all works out the way I envision it in my brain.
Vanilla, you have 3 options for a Gemsbok. Namibia, Botswana and South Africa. Gemsbok do not occur in Zambia or Zimbabwe.

I won't lie, the quality of the cape may be more of a determining factor for me on what I were to shoot than the length of the horns. Is that sacrilegious?

The contrast of the black, white, and grey on those things is just mesmerizing to me! There is no cooler animal on the planet, in my opinion.

Growing up I spent a lot of time reading about hunting in Africa, but mostly the early works like TR, and those around 1900 and even Capstick into the 60's and 70's. I have to admit there is a certain attraction, not necessarily the killing of the animals (I can't even pronounce a lot of their names), but just the adventure and dangers encountered. Being around the true native people and seeing how they live would be eye opening and extremely interesting. I wonder what they would think of me. Does that Africa still exist? I have no desire to bring the trophies home to hang on the wall, just photos and the memories would be fine. Any of the big 5 would be thrilling, no doubt, and something I would never forget.

I won't lie, the quality of the cape may be more of a determining factor for me on what I were to shoot than the length of the horns. Is that sacrilegious?

The contrast of the black, white, and grey on those things is just mesmerizing to me! There is no cooler animal on the planet, in my opinion.
NOPE I have taken more then one animal in africa just because of the cape they had. some times the look of a cape makes it a trophy to

Growing up I spent a lot of time reading about hunting in Africa, but mostly the early works like TR, and those around 1900 and even Capstick into the 60's and 70's. I have to admit there is a certain attraction, not necessarily the killing of the animals (I can't even pronounce a lot of their names), but just the adventure and dangers encountered. Being around the true native people and seeing how they live would be eye opening and extremely interesting. I wonder what they would think of me. Does that Africa still exist? I have no desire to bring the trophies home to hang on the wall, just photos and the memories would be fine. Any of the big 5 would be thrilling, no doubt, and something I would never forget.
it does but it cost more on avg then just a regular plains game hunt which is so fun

I just returned from SA Sunday. I had a great trip. The crazy thing is I never wanted to go to Africa. I never even considered it. That is until I met these guys at the expo. @bushmensafaris They are archery only! I enjoy shooting a bow, I consider my self an archery guy nowdays but I’m fairly new to it and need at bats. I’ve taken some elk, mule deer, whitetail and bear with my bow but I it’s like 2 animals a year. I shoot all year and only get to release a few arrows at game. Bushmen safaris is a target rich environment. They have blinds over water and only hunt the new moon. I shot a Cape Buffalo with a crossbow and 5 other animals with my Mathews, It was a kick! BMS is a class act, I was a great experience! But what sucks is the travel ? I’m just now getting my routine back.

Last edited:
I‘ve got it all documented on my IG account if anyone wants to see. Several arrow impact clips also. Start at August 18th. @claude1050

Last edited:
The only thing that was stopping me was doing it alone. Finally found a friend to go with me and booked for Apr of 23'.

I would have loved to go with you Bill, June- Aug are hard month for me to leave work.

Next stop will be Namibia with Petr for monster Kudu, zebra, Gemsbok and Red.

The only thing that was stopping me was doing it alone. Finally found a friend to go with me and booked for Apr of 23'.

I would have loved to go with you Bill, June- Aug are hard month for me to leave work.

Next stop will be Namibia with Petr for monster Kudu, zebra, Gemsbok and Red.
Glad you're finally making it over that is all that counts. Maybe we will get over to Pieter at the same time to hunt always great doing hunts with new friends. Plus the kudu hunting is only getting better in namibia with the drought over now for 2 years and the kudu rabies 5 years behind them now. I saw so many good bulls this year that will be great bulls by 2024

Glad you're finally making it over that is all that counts. Maybe we will get over to Pieter at the same time to hunt always great doing hunts with new friends. Plus the kudu hunting is only getting better in namibia with the drought over now for 2 years and the kudu rabies 5 years behind them now. I saw so many good bulls this year that will be great bulls by 2024
I really really want to do some archery hunts with Petr.

I've happily gone four times and finally got my cape buffalo. Now it's about $$$ for me. Just retired and have some north American hunting goals to try to achieve. Trust me, if I had the $$$ I would hunt cape buffalo every year. I used to hate Tony Makris for bragging about how he's killed something like 50+ buffalo, but it's only wishing I could too.

I've happily gone four times and finally got my cape buffalo. Now it's about $$$ for me. Just retired and have some north American hunting goals to try to achieve. Trust me, if I had the $$$ I would hunt cape buffalo every year. I used to hate Tony Makris for bragging about how he's killed something like 50+ buffalo, but it's only wishing I could too.
50 buffalo is a heck of a number. Most sport hunters will never shoot 10 buffalo, let alone 50. But…. I know a very avid hunter who’s shot over 350 buffalo! He’s more than a bit obsessed with hunting Cape Buffalo. He shot 11 on his Tanzania safari last year.

I’ve been to South Africa 3 times. It was fun, for the most part. I’ve shot about every plains game in South Africa including 2 kudu and a croc.
I absolutely hated dealing with dip and pack. It’s a big rip off and there are people with their hand out through the whole process.
Of course Africa is fun but it is hardly hunting compared to North America. To each their own and I have nothing against anyone who wants to hunt it. For me, I’d take a elk or mule deer hunt over any African plains game.
Now, if you want to give me a bongo or lord derby eland hunt, I’m glad to oblige!

I’ve been to South Africa 3 times. It was fun, for the most part. I’ve shot about every plains game in South Africa including 2 kudu and a croc.
I absolutely hated dealing with dip and pack. It’s a big rip off and there are people with their hand out through the whole process.
Of course Africa is fun but it is hardly hunting compared to North America. To each their own and I have nothing against anyone who wants to hunt it. For me, I’d take a elk or mule deer hunt over any African plains game.
Now, if you want to give me a bongo or lord derby eland hunt, I’m glad to oblige!
I here you about hunting SA it is what it is. there is plenty more of africa that is harder hunting without having to wait to see if you draw a tag. The number of animals is just so much more there the hunting does seem alot easier but if you get picky enough it can be a more challenging hunt

I do not disagree, when I suggested this forum to Brian several years back, I was all in on Africa. I still might have another trip in me but if I do it will likely be a mountain hunt in Namibia for mountain zebra and kudu. I’ll donate my animals and be happy with pics. I have enough taxidermy.
My dream hunt over there would be a “tracking” hunt for lord derby eland but I might have a tough time convincing myself to fork out $30k.
I certainly do not want to give the impression I’m anti Africa, all should experience it once and I have some life long friends there. South Africans are some of the finest people one could ever meet.
I will say this (a bit of a hijack on the post), do not go for a “starter” hunt and end up with an impala, blesbok, and spring buck. Spend a little extra and get a gemsbuck, zebra, and especially a kudu!

I do not disagree, when I suggested this forum to Brian several years back, I was all in on Africa. I still might have another trip in me but if I do it will likely be a mountain hunt in Namibia for mountain zebra and kudu. I’ll donate my animals and be happy with pics. I have enough taxidermy.
My dream hunt over there would be a “tracking” hunt for lord derby eland but I might have a tough time convincing myself to fork out $30k.
I certainly do not want to give the impression I’m anti Africa, all should experience it once and I have some life long friends there. South Africans are some of the finest people one could ever meet.
I will say this (a bit of a hijack on the post), do not go for a “starter” hunt and end up with an impala, blesbok, and spring buck. Spend a little extra and get a gemsbuck, zebra, and especially a kudu!
Woodruff, there is so much more to Africa than South Africa. Hunting in just about every other country can be much more challenging. Namibia in the mountains as you describe can be challenging for sure; but there is so much to experience across Africa.

perhaps it is about what you make of it when hunting, and not the area... I sell safaris not buffalo or hippos or elephants or any kind of animals...if it is in SA, Namibia or Mozambique, I sell safaris!

yes open area is always great BUT not all clientele wants this...some wants the bush, electricity, near tows / cities, hospitals ect. but they still had a great safari...

yes, we do have 'bad apples' but so does all business all across the world. There are still large open areas in SA like Klaserie, Timbavati, Maseke, Umbabat, Balule, The Kalahari, The Karoo...to name a few - ALL over 80-90 000+acres.

we are mostly 'lone hunters' and hunt alone but keep in mind when children wants to hunt or your lovely wife accommodates you as a hunter to Africa, they want security or luxuries and activities that can be done as a family...SA will most probably be that destination...SA and Namibia is the much cheaper option on PG, Big 5 SA.., SA has 42 species huntable species and Namibia 12. The rest of Africa few...poaching is the main course. Just makes you think again of SA as a hunting destination! :unsure:

Last edited:
I understand the differences and to each their own. I was addressing my reason for not going and nothing more. I did enjoy my time in Africa but enjoy hunting here in the US more (again, my reason, nothing more, nothing less).
Of course their are great concessions in RSA and bad ones (like every other destination).
If one wants to go and take a family (I did on my second trip) RSA could be a good option.
There are a lot of other reasons that I would not go back but again, that's just me.

That long long long plane ride is the main reason. I've been over twice. Kicking around the 3rd time.
Its crazy I know but the more trips I make the easier the flight is for me. last trip my 7th I thought the flight went fast. watch a couple movies take some nyquil and all good for me.

I know I will never do the long qatar flights anymore with the long layovers. I like the direct 15 hour flights best.

We're in the middle of planning and booking our second trip to RSA. Probably 2024

Took my son and the two oldest daughters the first time.

This time the whole damn Fam is going so that will be super fun. I MIGHT shoot something but if I do, it'll be the tiny ones since they are of great interest, maybe a jackal or two, maybe a civet cat, badger or something.

Kids and grandkids will probably shoot a pile and pay for their shipping home and taxidermy. I won't.

If I could, I'd hunt sheep somewhere every year but the budget and drawing preclude that....although I've been blessed and lucky with a high number of sheep hunts over the past 4+ decades.

Zeke

Zeme: I hope you have a great time with your family down there. I took my 3 sons, my and dad a few years back and really enjoyed. I was there for about 2 1/2 weeks. It can get expensive with all the shooting!
Like you, I’d love to hunt sheep every year. My one sheep hunt was even better than 25+ plains game animals. Nothing compares!!

all depends on the person, I guess. I will take being able to hunt each year if I want in africa over waiting 20 years to see if I draw a tag or pay 50.000.00 or more to hunt any one single animal. But that is the good thing about hunting you can pick what you like to do, and all is great fun and times.

Money is the only thing holding me back. I am a teacher and timing would work perfect. Maybe in another 7 years when I retire and get a second job then I can afford it.

My Taxidermist is trying to get us to go to SA with him in 2025.
I may not have a choice as my wife loves to travel, anywhere.
Anybody heard of "Watts Trophy Hunting"?????

I would also add that South Africans are some of the finest people that you will meet. Meeting the people and experiences is part of the trip that makes it great.

Everything is expensive and I suggest that if you want to go, make it happen. For the average earner, in my opinion, South Africa can be an option. There are great Plains game packages that are more than reasonable.

Do your homework with the Outfitter you choose and I would strongly suggest speaking with several hunters that have hunted with the one you are interested in and get their first-hand perspective.

My Taxidermist is trying to get us to go to SA with him in 2025.
I may not have a choice as my wife loves to travel, anywhere.
Anybody heard of "Watts Trophy Hunting"?????
Just be careful as he maybe getting a good deal but yours maybe avg or below on pricing. I have heard of that company but never done business with them. Just dont feel like it is your only option and look and compare to see if your deal is good or not

Money is the only thing holding me back. I am a teacher and timing would work perfect. Maybe in another 7 years when I retire and get a second job then I can afford it.
Have you really priced out what it may cost you? Depending on area and what you want it maybe cheaper then what you think.

Send me a PM on Watts Trophy Hunting as well.

I returned this past Sunday from my 13th trip and first trip to Tanzania. Had an absolutely fantastic time, and we were seriously trying to figure out how to extend the two week trip as we just weren't ready to come home!

Africa is huge, and there is something for everybody.

If you want a true bargain basement hunt, you will probably be on a smaller property in RSA or perhaps Namibia. You can experience the culture and animals in close proximity to town and other amenities. Kind of like hunting a ranch in Texas.

Pay a little more, and you can have huge wild properties in Namibia, Zimbabwe, and Zambia where it is easy to start thinking about "the old days". Perhaps like a remote elk hunt in Colorado or Montana.

With budget no problem, head to Tanzania for a charter flight to bush camp, kind of like Alaska. They will have all the amenities of a tented East African safari, but there will be no other hunters for many days of travel in any direction.

These are generalities, of course, and there are exceptions in most countries. Some people have no interest in hunting a texas ranch for whitetails, and are disappointed with that type of hunt in Africa. Know what you are buying, and all of these can be fantastic hunts. I still hunt RSA for a relaxing, low pressure family vacation. When I want to pursue Buffalo, leopard or elephant I am going to Tanzania or Zimbabwe.

Bill

Last edited:
Have you really priced out what it may cost you? Depending on area and what you want it maybe cheaper then what you think.
I have and it just out of reach. It is the first trip planned when the funds are there. I am excited for the day I get to go chase Kudu, plus others. Wife wants a zebra the most.

Here is what is stopping me

My neighbor is going back next may and I have the chance to go with him. I finally convinced myself I could afford it. Buffalo, kudu and bushbuck. It is on a 20,000 acre game farm.

It seems too rigged. I am thinking the outfitter has some buffalo already there but then just go buys the kudu, bushbuck or whatever else a week or month before my hunt and turns it loose. Then we conveniently go find it in a couple hours or a day or two and Shazam!!!
Trophy on the wall. He already has the length, width and age known from when he bought it. Am I wrong to think this. In SA

While what you describe is possible in RSA, it is unlikely. More than likely the plains game such as the bushbuck, kudu etc., are naturally occurring, but almost certainly the number of buffalo and their relative size are well known on an RSA game farm. This doesn't mean they are tame, just that there are enough regulations pertaining to buffalo that the rancher does know what he has.

Of all the plains game, kudu is one species that is occasionally purchased by ranchers to supplement what they raise naturally. It is such a high demand animal that virtually every first time hunter wants to shoot. Real small properties can't "grow" enough to satisfy all their hunters.

For what it's worth, 20,000 acres is not a "real small" property, and I have never heard of bushbuck being "planted" on a property. Find out where you are hunting (province) and ask the questions. Listen to the answers critically. Talk to your neighbor.

In areas where the game you want to pursue are naturally occurring I wouldn't expect to find much put and take happening. If this is a high volume ranch, anything goes, but these are few and far between. Ask how many hunters they take each year.

Or you may be surprised to learn you can afford a buffalo and plains game hunt in Zimbabwe or Mozambique and the prices are similar. Then you are hunting truly wild, free ranging animals where the odds of success are high, but not certain.

Your choice.

Bill

Here is what is stopping me

My neighbor is going back next may and I have the chance to go with him. I finally convinced myself I could afford it. Buffalo, kudu and bushbuck. It is on a 20,000 acre game farm.

It seems too rigged. I am thinking the outfitter has some buffalo already there but then just go buys the kudu, bushbuck or whatever else a week or month before my hunt and turns it loose. Then we conveniently go find it in a couple hours or a day or two and Shazam!!!
Trophy on the wall. He already has the length, width and age known from when he bought it. Am I wrong to think this. In SA
You are not wrong to think this for RSA. Nothing wrong with this type of hunting but you have every right to ask.
I’d just ask your Outfitter directly and see what he has to say.

Highly unlikely as must place have game in big numbers on there places. Could it have been released at some point for sure but there is also places with breeding herds on them. The game auction prices are all over and if quoted you a price he could lose money doing the way your thinking it happens. What is the name of the places your thinking about going to. If you look at the picture below you will se all age of buff in there. That is what normally are on the better places on SA

344000173_1202090083843627_109467175704795938_n.jpg

I have never heard of it either.
For me Namibia is the best. Extra flight but cheaper hunt.
No matter where you go in Africa you will be glad you went.

Ok I will throw out the name if anyone wants to comment. Schoongezoght. Borders the Limpopo river on the north I believe. My friend can’t say enough about it. He loves it. I do want to go with someone who has been there before and has experience and I don’t know anyone else who is up for it.

Zimbabwe sounds like the place I would like to hunt and a better choice for free range buffalo but guessing it’s more expensive and some other unknowns that make me nervous

I have heard of them but never hunted with them. 20,000 acres is a pretty big area for that part of SA. He is a game rancher so his ranch has animals on it at all times and herds of them. I would bet he sells off extra animals and you will not be dealing with what you were worrying about. Yes zim would be a wilder place but you will pay more when all done.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom