so who has trips to africa planned or going to make plans for 2022

never to early to start planning a trip even in 2024.

I know, I need to get thinking about it more seriously. My problem is this trip is dependent upon events I don’t control the timing, and I’m at the mercy of that timing, which is still uncertain right now. I’m going, 100%. My purpose for going expands far beyond the hunt, so I need more details about the other before I can plan the hunt that will accommodate it.

I’ll be visiting Zimbabwe and Zambia for the other reasons. I don’t necessarily need to hunt in those countries, although Zimbabwe would be cool. I’m open to going anywhere in Southern Africa for the hunt portion. This may seem odd to Africa regulars, but my #1 animal is a gemsbok. I love the look of those animals. My brother is likely to come as well, and his is a kudu. Outside of that, I don’t have any “must have” animals in the list yet.

I’ll be coming back to this forum with a lot of questions and hoping for a lot of advice down the road.

I know, I need to get thinking about it more seriously. My problem is this trip is dependent upon events I don’t control the timing, and I’m at the mercy of that timing, which is still uncertain right now. I’m going, 100%. My purpose for going expands far beyond the hunt, so I need more details about the other before I can plan the hunt that will accommodate it.

I’ll be visiting Zimbabwe and Zambia for the other reasons. I don’t necessarily need to hunt in those countries, although Zimbabwe would be cool. I’m open to going anywhere in Southern Africa for the hunt portion. This may seem odd to Africa regulars, but my #1 animal is a gemsbok. I love the look of those animals. My brother is likely to come as well, and his is a kudu. Outside of that, I don’t have any “must have” animals in the list yet.

I’ll be coming back to this forum with a lot of questions and hoping for a lot of advice down the road.
The hardest part will be getting the dates you want maybe around your trip if not booked at least 1 year ahead of time. By your animals you said so far I would say namibia maybe your place you want. Best oryx hunting there is and kudu to. Zim is on my list never hunted there but I think of it more of big 5 with plains game added as you wish.

You will be able to find a place to hunt I am sure around your time frame just maybe not your first choice to make it work with your dates.

I just returned earlier this week from a great hunt in Tanzania, and yes I’m already planning my next African trips. I say trips because the very next one will be in 15 months with my daughter and her boyfriend. She will graduate from nursing school December of 2022, and I told her I’d take them on a photo trip in February of ‘23 as a graduation gift. A couple weeks on some of Kenya’s private conservancies, followed by them climbing Mts. Meru & Kilimanjaro will be memorable for her.

After that, I’ll do a hunt somewhere, not sure just yet where and for what. I was just looking at CAR, but a 20 day hunt there is out of my league as it’s about $125,000 all in to hunt CAR these days. Gotta figure out something I can afford and that ain’t it. Zimbabwe or Zambia will be much more budget friendly.

Last edited:
So far, I haven't been able to fit the dates I want with available dates in 2022, but still working at it. Also, the place I was planning to hunt in the Northern Cape burned-up recently...so there's that.

So far, I haven't been able to fit the dates I want with available dates in 2022, but still working at it. Also, the place I was planning to hunt in the Northern Cape burned-up recently...so there's that.
Getting dates is tough so many hunts rebooked last two years because of covid Getting dates in 22 or even 23 will be harder then normally to get.

The first place I am hunting in northern cape had some fire damage on some of there places to but hunting is still going on and some places there are still all ok.

Any issues as far as travel restrictions due to Covid? I would like to go soon also. Maybe next year . Is it realistic to do a plains hunt for Kudu, Sable, blue Wildbeast, Zebra , Niyala and maybe a couple more and return of trophys back to US for $20k or less.
I will do my own Taxidermy except the Zebra rug.

Any issues as far as travel restrictions due to Covid? I would like to go soon also. Maybe next year . Is it realistic to do a plains hunt for Kudu, Sable, blue Wildbeast, Zebra , Niyala and maybe a couple more and return of trophys back to US for $20k or less.
Yes there is places you can do all that now for under that. Biggest question for that budget is shipping but with dip/pack shipping I think you could for sure.

I just booked my airfare at 1715 flights over and back plus 3 flights in country so airfare is really cheap right now compared to past.

I will more then likely have a group trip planned for 2023 so we can chat more if you like about a trip with my group or I can give you info for your own. Trophy prices and day fees are down now for sure as hunters start going back they will go up some but I would say they will stay in check for at least 2 years.

I had no problem traveling last year with the covid bs and think it will only get easy and better from here out. Rumor is at least to enter africa they are thinking of waving the covid test. Getting one there was easy just a matter of going for one before you leave to fly back. I would not let the covid stuff stop me from going that is for sure

I went in 2003 & killed 11 critters. I had the zebra rug done in Africa because it was 1/3 of the cost compared to the US. I also had my warthog mounted there to eliminate the entry hassles.

On the wall...

oldFRremake.jpg

Four and done. Finally got my buffalo in May. I actually sold a bunch of my plains game trophies over the past couple of years making room for other things.

If I was rich, I'd cape buffalo every year until I couldn't anymore. Plains game is awesome, but once I got to chase Black Death it was a whole nuther game.

Taking the wife and kids and going with Limcroma in March of 2023. Going to do a few days in Cape Town also while we are there. Looking forward to it, it will be our first time.

Taking the wife and kids and going with Limcroma in March of 2023. Going to do a few days in Cape Town also while we are there. Looking forward to it, it will be our first time.
That should be a fun trip. II looked at their outfit but not a fan of pay by size on kudu at the time maybe they have one price now. Use to pay more for over 55" bulls. Think sable they did the same way but that was years ago

already have mine but son-in-law is going to get his hopefully kudu gemsbuck and impala for daughter red hartebeest,vall rhebuck, steen buk and possibly a roan for me

Last edited:
Well, I just bit the bullet on my next African hunt. Booked a Lord Derby Eland hunt for February of 2024 with Alan Vincent in Cameroon on one of Mayo Oldiri’s prime concessions. We’ll be hunting 12 days for Lord Derby Eland, Roan, Harnessed Bushbuck, Western Hartebeest, Western Kob, Oribi and hopefully I’ll be able to add a Savannah Buffalo.

Now I have to be patient, not only for this hunt but also any interesting opportunity that might come up later this year. I’ve got everything ready to go and am working out with the thinking I’m going to find something interesting that’s a great deal on short notice. Time will tell.

Well, I just bit the bullet on my next African hunt. Booked a Lord Derby Eland hunt for February of 2024 with Alan Vincent in Cameroon on one of Mayo Oldiri’s prime concessions. We’ll be hunting 12 days for Lord Derby Eland, Roan, Harnessed Bushbuck, Western Hartebeest, Western Kob, Oribi and hopefully I’ll be able to add a Savannah Buffalo.

Now I have to be patient, not only for this hunt but also any interesting opportunity that might come up later this year. I’ve got everything ready to go and am working out with the thinking I’m going to find something interesting that’s a great deal on short notice. Time will tell.
Good choice and a lot safer than CAR.

Gemsbok are not native to Zimbabwe or Zambia so you’re limited to Botswana, Namibia or ranches in SA. There are fringe-eared oryx in Tanzania, however.

Gemsbok are not native to Zimbabwe or Zambia so you’re limited to Botswana, Namibia or ranches in SA. There are fringe-eared oryx in Tanzania, however.
Yes, there are fringe eared oryx in Tanzania, in much of Masailand. Several problems though for the vast majority of hunters. First, they’re about 1/2 the size of a Gemsbok. Second, they’re only found in one area where they can still be hunted, Masailand, and not everywhere there. Possibly still in Omo Valley or maybe Danakil Desert in Ethiopia, but I doubt 10 fringe eared, if any, are shot by sport hunters annually in Ethiopia. Finally, they’re expensive as hell to hunt.

If a hunter has never shot any member of the Oryx family, he should stick with Gemsbok. They’re the biggest, most widely distributed and least expensive to hunt. Fringe eared can only be hunted on a 21-day license inTanzania and on a longer hunt, so the cost is substantial. Trophy fee going forward is going to be around 6,000-7,000 so between an expensive 21 day license, a long hunt at about 2,200+ per day and a big trophy fee, very few will ever hunt fringe eared oryx.

If I was going to look for a big Gemsbok bull, it’d likely be in Namibia. There are lots of places you can shoot a Gemsbok, but to find a 40”+ bull, very few places. Southern Namibia near the red sand country is one of those places. It’s also really neat country to hunt.

Last edited:
Yes, there are firing eared oryx in Tanzania, in much of Masailand. Several problems though for the vast majority of hunters. First, they’re about 1/2 the size of a Gemsbok. Second, they’re only found in one area where they can still be hunted, Masailand, and not everywhere there. Possibly still in Omo Valley or maybe Danakil Desert in Ethiopia, but I doubt 10 fringe eared, if any, are shot by sport hunters annually in Ethiopia. Finally, they’re expensive as hell to hunt.

If a hunter has never shot any member of the Oryx family, he should stick with Gemsbok. They’re the biggest, most widely distributed and least expensive to hunt. Fringe eared can only be hunted on a 21-day license inTanzania and on a longer hunt, so the cost is substantial. Trophy fee going forward is going to be around 6,000-7,000 so between an expensive 21 day license, a long hunt at about 2,200+ per day and a big trophy fee, very few will ever hunt fringe eared oryx.

If I was going to look for a big Gemsbok bull, it’d likely be in Namibia. There are lots of places you can shoot a Gemsbok, but to find a 40”+ bull, very few places. Southern Namibia near the red sand country is one of those places. It’s also really neat country to hunt.
Actually, a fringe-eared oryx is about to 2/3rds to 3/4ths the size of a gemsbok. I have taken both species. I hunted Massailand in 2017 for buffalo and plains game.

Yes, free-range hunting in Tanzania is expensive, especially compared to high-fenced areas in South Africa and Namibia, and the 10, 14 and 21 day licenses in Tanzania each allow certain animals to be hunted. I did not go into the costs but was only pointing out where gemsbok/oryx live. The OP would not find them in Zimbabwe or Zambia.

Well, today was a good day. Finalized a hunt for next year with my son and one of my closest friends. We will be hunting with Alan Vincent and company in Tanzania on Madaba, unit MA1 in the Selous Game Reserve. It’ll be my sons 2nd buffalo hunt and 3rd African hunt, while this will be my buddies first time to Africa. They’ll each have 2 buffalo on license plus plains game, while I’ll likely get a 21-day license to take 3 buffalo and some other game not available on a shorter license.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom