So, You're Saying There's a Chance?

SureShot

Very Active Member
Can somebody explain or point me to the documentation that explains the situation where certain Colorado units have a limited number of tags available in a random drawing as opposed to purely being allocated by preference points?

I seem to remember you have to have at least 5 preference points to have a chance or something, but can't remember the details.

Thanks.

Hybrid Draw
Hunter has to have at least 5 points and the hunt code has to take 10 or more points (based on a 3 year average)

paul
Your statement is not correct. Most of CO draws are a true preference point system in which the tags only go to the people with the most points. If you dont have the required number then you dont have a chance at drawing a tag.(unlike WY,UT,NV)

The new hybrid draws, in a few units, are the exception to this.

another exception would be Sheep,Goat,Moose. They are a weighted system requiring at least 3 points in which you could still have a chance with lower number of points.

But for the most part deer and elk have no random tags.

Non-residents have 0% chance of drawing a hybrid draw tag, so if you're a non-resident, I'm saying there's not a chance.

C-Oak...

Not true. The hybrid draw is subject to non-resident quotas. There are a few hunts in which a non resident can and has drawn. Most of the hybrid eligible hunts are RFW which are not available to non residents. Research which units have required 10 points for at least three years for RESIDENTS, then look at which hunts have enough tags to allocate a non resident tag. You will find there are both elk and deer units that meet this criteria.

There is an entire page explaining the new process which took effect last year. I believe it is on page 11 of the big game regulations. It even lists which hunt codes are in the hybrid draw for this year.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>C-Oak...
>
>Not true. The hybrid draw
>is subject to non-resident quotas.

> There are a few
>hunts in which a non
>resident can and has drawn.
> Most of the hybrid
>eligible hunts are RFW which
>are not available to non
>residents. Research which units
>have required 10 points for
>at least three years for
>RESIDENTS, then look at which
>hunts have enough tags to
>allocate a non resident tag.
> You will find there
>are both elk and deer
>units that meet this criteria.
>

The bolded part above is correct, in relation to tags issued in BOTH the regular and hybrid draw combined. Therefore, for a non-resident to be drawn in the hybrid draw, the non-resident quota of 20% cannot be reached in the regular draw. In how many of the hybrid draw hunts does this ever happen? You are technically right, but I am not aware of hybrid units where the non-resident quota is not reached in the regular draw. Show me an example of a non-resident drawing a hybrid tag.

Here is the direct quote from the CDOW hybrid draw FAQs:

"Nonresident allocation is not set aside at the beginning of the draws, therefore the number of nonresident licenses available in the Hybrid Draw cannot be calculated prior to the draws. Nonresident allocation is a ?running calculation? that is calculated throughout the Youth Preference, Standard Preference Point and Hybrid Draws."

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/B86E4D3D-9120-43F5-90BD-8AEB6E3735B6/0/HybridDrawFAQ.pdf

No way could the 20% nonresident quota for those few high demand units not be filled in the regular draw before the hybrid draw, no matter how the stars are aligned. Nonresidents can not draw a hybrid tag as the draw is currently conducted.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-11 AT 05:07PM (MST)[p]There is no way to tell from the draw summary whether non-resident tags came from the hybrid draw or not. However, if you look at the hunt recap, you see that all four non-resident rifle tags for 201 came from the regular draw. Same with the 4 non-resident rifle tags in unit 2.

I think there is still some confusion about how the hybrid draw works.

Edit: All non-resident rifle tags for unit 10 came from the regular draw as well.

Nonresident caps apply to every phase. So there's one possible nonresident hybrid tag if there are 5 hybrid tags, not possible with less. That's what the summary shows. But...when the 20% nontresident cap fills first in the regular draw, a certainty, there will be no nonresidents drawing a hybrid tag....

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom