Solo success

Bossbrott

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-14 AT 08:21AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-14 AT 08:17?AM (MST)

Made the hike into 7b for the openers. Been scouting this particular buck since July, and really hoped he would be feeding on a particular hillside come sunup. Well he wasn't there like previous trips. Maybe it was the full moon, maybe a bow hunter had taken him?
Instead of sitting and watching the hillside in the parching sun, maybe I can keep the wind to my nose and sneak slowly along. I was making slow progress, but it was progress because I was up winded and as quiet as can be.
I peeked over a ridge to view some absolutely incredible habitat,,,beaver ponds, tules, willows, aspens, just absolutely perfect deer habitat. That's when he appeared running left to right making his way towards a deep draw. My first shot missed, and my second,,,,we'll lets just say, if the sight picture in my scope was true, I'd smoked him just as he lept over the ledge.
Upon making my way down I saw no sign of the buck, but I certainly didn't see him come out of the draw. Upon a quick search I found a large splatter of blood on a nearby pine, then another, and yet another, and there he lay.
Here's the pic when I approached him. I simply laid the rifle on him and took a pic.
I still can't believe the size of him, he's my biggest buck to date.
27.5"4x5,20"tall
eea9930d8af92efe5a17d522cbadfafe_zpsc53a6b75.jpg

Tough to take kill photos when your by yourself, so all pics are lacking one ingredient,,,,,ME.
08bd000cd47f0dd6d845f50581484b88_zps6e2f0e43.jpg

Here he is in comparison to my sons 26.5"3x4, 17tall Goodale buck. Beat jr by an inch, kinda funny!
395b62614f9e17daf7ff9b7a8b87991e_zpscd6ed636.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-14 AT 10:35AM (MST)[p]Yeah Man! That's a smoker Kali buck for sure!!! Congrats!!

What's that shootin iron there? looks like a older Rem 700?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Nice frame, good mass, eye guards and extra points--he's got it all. Congratulations on a great buck and a hunt well-conducted.

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-14
>AT 10:35?AM (MST)

>
>Yeah Man! That's a smoker Kali
>buck for sure!!! Congrats!!
>
>What's that shootin iron there? looks
>like a older Rem 700?
>
>
>Joey

Yeah Joey, that is an old 700. It's a tackdriver those older rifles are.
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

GREAT MULEY BUCK, THE BUCK YOUR SON SHOT IN G3 IS A INYO MULE DEER. THEY CAN GET BIG WITH AGE, BUT NOT A TRUE ROCKY MT. MULE DEER.......A BIT SMALLER IN BODY.............YD.

I would guess he is pushing 170 gross. A great Kali buck, no matter how he tapes out. If you do measure him, I would be curious to learn the score.

"going to get him mounted?"

That would be tuff to do considering the shortness of the cape. :)

Bross, Yeah, that rifle looks just like a couple of mine that ain't never going away! What Cartridge is it chambered in? Nice shootin by the way!!

my guess, 173" but score wouldn't begin to tell how nice your buck is.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Awesome buck Bossbrott, congrats!

Bill

People who work for a living are quickly being
overwhelmed by people who vote for a living.

I processed all the meat yesterday, ended with about ~60#, steaks,roasts,burger, stew meat. Came out pretty darned good.
12ca372e21f4a3ca784f986ba7a347f5_zps5fd7e1c9.jpg

I've just begun on the euro mount. I couldn't afford another mount, and I did cut the head off leaving no cape, so euro it is.

"you can buy hides if you wanted to get him mounted"

I suppose a guy could do it that way, you're right. i know when i cut the cape that way, that a caped mount is not in my future...

Bross, Nice, all the way around!

outstanding,,,,, i really like the meat pics,,, we did not do our own processing for years and got tired of folks cutting corners on our animals,, so we have been doing our own processing for awhile now ,,,,,,,,,, its more work but well worth it ,,,, good job

Good job!
I just back from X-1....it was tough with the moon and high temps!
Just everything was in the timber and it was like walking on kettle fried potato chips!!!
I did get a 3X3 Thursday and got it to Los Gatos Meats today it was 103 lbs..(minus head and hide).. back to work Monday for 4 then off to Utah for Gen Buck opener... Also a solo because buddy wife got ill!
Jester

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom